Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Shias Rolling In Mud For Hussain A.s

Rate this topic

In the name of Allah swt, the most beneficient, the most merciful. I bear witness Muhammed pbuh is his final messenger, and that the imams a.s were the preservers of his sunnah. May God anihilate the effects of the nawasib and the ghuluw who both have caused confusion in the Ummah. May i never spend a breath making a dua where the name of my lord is not included in that breath. Ya Allah bihqqi muhammd wa ale muhammed a.s

Dear muslimeen, when i heard about shias rolling in Mud, i thought it was a joke at first. This has gotten ridiculous. Yes, it isn't self harm, nor will it spread infection(not as much as slashing yourself with blades), but i ask each of you, if Muhammed pbuh were here, and saw this, knowing that he was a man of good character, who respected the fitrah of a human, who cherished cleanliness, dignity, rationality, would he have been happy with acts like this?

How hard is it to follow the Quran and Sunnah? Why are we trying to outsmart the messenger of Allah swt and his pure progeny?

I am not denying the love, devotion, and passion these people do it with. All i am saying is, surely, there are healthier ways to channel that , in line with human decency, to show the ahlulbayt a.s and their leader Muhammed pbuh in the best light?

I'm distraught at the state of a minority of us. Often you'll find those that accuse the wifes of Muhammed pbuh of killing him, are the ones who accuse one of them of adultry, are the ones who curse and hurl abuse we do not even accept, are often quite ghuluw, pro tatbir, not really into Rijal/accept any kind of hadith, anti iran. I am not trying to cause disunity, merely trying to hilight the situation of our ummah.

00011100_medium.jpeg

AFP_Getty-515573968.jpg

Edited by Tawheed313

• Advanced Member

I can't help but find this comical.

But I suspect that the reason they do this is to feel the same way Imam Hussein (as) felt being on the ground.

I also suspect that, unfortunately, they will add to this sooner or later by having others walk/run over them, then eventually, probably have horses run over them. lol.

We were provided a way by which we can mourn by the Ahlulbayt (as), i.e. beating oneself with one's hands. We should definitely stick to that and not make up these rituals which draw ridicule and attention. The attention drawn by using one's own hands is more than enough to get the message across, we don't need this other nonsense which adds ridicule to attention.

If you want to experience these types of things which I guess are technically not forbidden, keep it to yourself. There is absolutely no reason to record this, or let yourself be recorded.. because one who sincerely mourns would not think of and would not want recording of oneself mourning...

• Veteran Member

These photos look fake. Most likely they are not shias rolling on mud for hussain a.s. Heck almost all of them arnt wearing any black, if it is at least a act of mourning. The first picture, doesnt really prove anything but two guys covered in mud and the second picture just shows one guy in a circle of mud. With others around them dressed up like some sort of works. The second picture looks Photoshopped. How is the guys right shoulder not covered in mud, if he was supposedly rolling in mud? There is just a clear black smudge..  Besides how do you know? Maybe he fell or something? Stop with all these stupid threads. They are purposeless but to try and make shias look bad. You making a thread on this site, whether or not this is even true, isnt going to solve anything. Who are you trying to tell this to? The sunnis that come on here to mock us? The "Shias" on here that mock each other? Or yourself, who is only on this site to cause confusion, let alone you being in total confusion with your beliefs yourself.

• Advanced Member

I understand where your coming from but his attention is simply to raise awareness, who knows, there might be someone who sees this and decides to quit doing these types of things. I don't think he's trying to raise a storm of mockery.

And it wouldn't be the least bit surprising to know that there are people who engage in this type of behaviour. I with my own two eyes have witnessed a huge group of people who identify as shias lay down on the ground (on their stomachs), and crawl/wipe their faces on the floor for quite a long distance. There are children who are raised in these environments and perhaps when they mature, it would be good to bring this type of thing to their attention so that they realize the image they draw to Islam.

• Forum Administrators

It's called Mud Rubbing ritual on Ashura. The top photo in the OP is from Bijar, in Kurdistan Province in Iran, November 14, 2013. Photo credit of Ebrahim Noroozi/AP

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/shiite-muslims-observe-ashura/20/

The bottom photo is from the city of Khorramabad, southwest of Tehran on November 25, 2012. Photo credit Behrouz Mehri/AFP/Getty Images 

Shall we stop these people if they love Ahlul Bayt AS?

• Advanced Member
On 1/8/2015 at 11:00 PM, hameedeh said:

It's called Mud Rubbing ritual on Ashura. The top photo in the OP is from Bijar, in Kurdistan Province in Iran, November 14, 2013. Photo credit of Ebrahim Noroozi/AP

The bottom photo is from the city of Khorramabad, southwest of Tehran on November 25, 2012. Photo credit Behrouz Mehri/AFP/Getty Images 

Shall we stop these people if they love Ahlul Bayt AS?

Absolutely not. As far as I know, it's not forbidden.

We should discuss most if not all religious matters for each person who wishes to further his/her knowledge. Although this is technically a cultural matter, it is unfortunately lumped as a religious one due to the image it draws. I feel strongly about Islamic reputation, and so don't mind knowing people who engage in the activities secretly but do care when it is propagated to the entire world, which may quickly and falsely contribute to the ridicule of true Islam. If everyone in the world recognized it was cultural then I don't think anyone would have a problem with it.

No reason in attacking the OP for posting this.

• Forum Administrators

From ancient time, mourners would rub dust or ashes on their heads. I am sure that when the people heard about Ashura they mourned. I've seen this mentioned in the Kurdish area or Khoramabad.

That is how people want to express their love for the Ahlul Bayt (as). If you don't feel like doing that then fine but don't prevent others from expressing their love in that way. What is up with this wahabi mentality spreading even among Shias. Unlike some people here, those guys actually feel the sacredness of the presence of Imam Hussein (as) in that land (if that is Kerbala).

About the whole "reputation issue" everything can be portrayed in bad way and a good way. If the west has been so successful in being able to portray partying, drinking and promiscuity in a good way then I am pretty sure cutting oneself with blades and rolling in mud can also be portrayed in a good way if it is done correctly.

Do I practice or want to practice any of this? No. But I still feel we should respect people's way of expressing their love for the Ahlul Bayt (as).

Edited by eThErEaL

• Forum Administrators

If you go to kurdpress.com and click on the English version, you can type mud rubbing in the search box. There are lots of photos there. Not everyone gets totally muddy. Those who do risk catching a chill when it is cold weather, so they build a fire to dry up the wetness.

That does not look "stupid".   Everything new will appear strange.  But it isn't strange to them (and this is important for us to keep in mind with respect to anything).  :)

The question is, on what basis do we have the right to say it is wrong or right? What principle are we using to pass a judgment? 

For me, it is pretty simple.  If I see an expression of love for the sacred (in any form or shape) I will respect it and even defend it if necessary.  Because if there is anything we need now more than ever, it is to preserve the sacred in any way we can (whether it is the environment or nature, shrines, acts of devotion towards holy personalities) because this Is what the modern world is trying to destroy. 

Edited by eThErEaL

On 1/8/2015 at 10:26 PM, PureEthics said:

These photos look fake. Most likely they are not shias rolling on mud for hussain a.s. Heck almost all of them arnt wearing any black, if it is at least a act of mourning. The first picture, doesnt really prove anything but two guys covered in mud and the second picture just shows one guy in a circle of mud. With others around them dressed up like some sort of works. The second picture looks Photoshopped. How is the guys right shoulder not covered in mud, if he was supposedly rolling in mud? There is just a clear black smudge..  Besides how do you know? Maybe he fell or something? Stop with all these stupid threads. They are purposeless but to try and make shias look bad. You making a thread on this site, whether or not this is even true, isnt going to solve anything. Who are you trying to tell this to? The sunnis that come on here to mock us? The "Shias" on here that mock each other? Or yourself, who is only on this site to cause confusion, let alone you being in total confusion with your beliefs yourself.

Salamanunalaikum, brother it's legit. The other posters have confirmed and you can find mutawattir evidence (in the sense there's a large number of reputable news places covering the same story). If i have an intention it is to try and uphold the image of Hussain a.s in the best possible light. His sacrifice, for the sake of Allah swt and saving Islam , and the events that went on are timeless and can move the heart of even a cold person with a mustard seed of humanity in them, and i feel it would be a shame to distort or innovate things to ruin that image.

On 1/8/2015 at 11:45 PM, hameedeh said:

From ancient time, mourners would rub dust or ashes on their heads. I am sure that when the people heard about Ashura they mourned. I've seen this mentioned in the Kurdish area or Khoramabad.

On 1/9/2015 at 1:50 AM, repenter said:

The problem isnt the mud rubbing or taking sand and hitting your self on the head with it.

In farsi we have a saying "Khak bar saram" which basically means dirt on my head, which again means i wish i was dead(like the dirt they throw on you when you die)

The problem is how do you do it without looking ridiculously stupid? Yes, some are always going to point fingers and say this looks strange and funny, for chest beating etc, but there is a fine line between strange and just plain silly. 

I can't find a good example, but take this guy as an example:

2407462200000578-2872901-In_Karbala_men_

there is a big difference between the guy above^

and

the guy to the right under

00011100_medium.jpeg

One looks like he has taken dirt and hit himself with it, the other one looks like he dove head first in the mud pool at the four seasons spa center. 

Salamunalaykum guys,

Sister Hameedeh, can you see the difference between repenters two pictures? I love the symbolism on the first on - putting on a little bit of dirt. But the second one is literally jumping in mud, rolling around and being covered almostfully with a layer of mud. I can't stop them, in fact i've paid tributes saying they must do this out of love and devotion, but at the same time, it has the potential to be off putting to a lot of people.

Thank you brother repenter for the contrast

• Forum Administrators

Those photos are different. Repenter explained it very well. Some men are excessively muddy, while others are only slightly muddy. From the photos, I saw one woman who was participating. 

IMAGE634897010591916631.jpg

• Forum Administrators

I would symbolically put dirt on my head, but I wouldn't jump into the mud pit.There is also a procession. Some of the men link their arms and walk together. The Kurds do it. It is an ancient ritual. They probably don't want to change it. At least they are not harming themselves. 

IMAGE634897011042392396.jpg

• Advanced Member

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته - May peace be upon you as well as Allah's mercy and his blessings
اللّهم صلّ على محمّد وآل محمّد - O Allah please pray upon Muhammad and the Family of Muhammad
بسم الله الرّحمن الرّحبم - Thanks to the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

أسعد الله أيامكم بذكرى مولد خير خلق الله محمد صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم - May Allah grant you happy days for the souvenir of the birth of Best of Allah's Creations, Muhammad may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him and his family

It's a sign of mourning for some people, what's your business in it?

Personally i did it during Arbaeen back in january 2013, but mostly because it was turbat al-Husayn -pbuh- and to get blessing from the soil of Karbala.

Tawheed313, there is no point don't criticizing others on their way of mourning. You may not like it, you don't do it.

وعليكم السلام ورحمة الله وبركاته - And upon you be peace as well as Allah's mercy and his blessings

• Veteran Member

Dirt and mud are pure like water and if you can not find water for ablutions or the water is too cold or too hot for you (you have solid uzer) then you use dirt for tayammum. I have done tayammum many times in life. Yes it will look "stupid and silly" to a outsider when I will wipe my hands and face with dirt. Meanwhile I will not mind one bit because it is the onlooker who is ignorant.

The act will also most certainly mar the image of Islam some more. *plays violin for that*

• Advanced Member

In other words, it seems almost ANYTHING can be 100% permissible, as long as you don't forget to cite Imam Husayn [as]. Interesting. I can't say these new acts are or aren't haraam, but Allah [swt] knows best how far it will go in the next few decades. 

Dog fights, boxing, slap someone in the face, in the name of Imam Husayn [as]? Maybe one day. I don't mean to ridicule anyone, but surely, there has to be some end to what is reasonable, right? 

Edited by NaveenHussain

• Veteran Member

Drawback of Social Media .. every single thing pops with the brain capability of the clicker or poster. Hardly 10% trying to find the truth behind before posting it or spread.

Edited by alirex

• Advanced Member

(salam)

in our age of advanced media all around the world especially with respect to the huge propaganda war going against shia Islam, I think, what @ tawhid 313 worry about sounds reasonable. one might say these actions do not look stupid and do not portray any thing wrong about Shia, but this is how it sounds to you as a Shia who is acquainted with similar kinds of mourning for Imam Husan (as) . what about a non-Muslim or a non-Shia. I do not mean we have to put aside our traditions for the sake of non-Muslims to feel interested in Islam, but to be moderate always is recommended. what brother @repenter presented is kinda moderate traditional mourning.

(wasalam)

Edited by mahdi servant.01

Dirt and mud are pure like water and if you can not find water for ablutions or the water is too cold or too hot for you (you have solid uzer) then you use dirt for tayammum. I have done tayammum many times in life. Yes it will look "stupid and silly" to a outsider when I will wipe my hands and face with dirt. Meanwhile I will not mind one bit because it is the onlooker who is ignorant.

The act will also most certainly mar the image of Islam some more. *plays violin for that*

There is a big difference between looking silly when you have no choice than doing it out of free will. Btw.....If you look like the guy on the picture posted, you are doing tayammumm wrong....

• Advanced Member

Rolling around in mud is ludicrous. Just think about some of the other creations that roll around in mud. Enough said. 

We were provided with a way to mourn by Ahlulbayt (as), a type of thing the human is naturally inclined to also. No need to go mud swimming and whatever else. It's not really mourning if you have to think about how you're going to mourn.

• Veteran Member

History can teach you that the Wahabi takfiri head choppers were not always violent. They used to communicate with others and tell them they were kafir. But sadly it did not have much effect because the arguments and debates were often lost by them. So they resorted to head chopping and cold blood murders of all the (other) ghaalis and innovators. It is the destiny of all extremists.

*Ahem* Thereofre I fear the day when they stop rolling in mud, rise up and shoot a criticizer through the computer screen. :o