Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Christianlady

Modesty And Self-Control In Christianity

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Hello Shiachat!

 

I have been away for awhile and due to recent news events, remembered Shiachat, curious about the reactions of Shiachat members to what happened in Paris. However, that's a different subject.

 

This subject is due to a message a very kind member sent me concerning head coverings for women and modesty.

 

I do see the value of dressing modestly. What promotes a well-functioning society however is not how people dress, but rather how they control their minds. That is why Job made this covenant:

 

"I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman.
For what is our lot from God above, our heritage from the Almighty on high?
Is it not ruin for the wicked, disaster for those who do wrong?
Does he not see my ways and count my every step?"

Job 31:1-4 (NIV)

 

The passage in Job is what is needed for people to do, both men and women, to make a covenant with their eyes not to look lustfully at people who are NOT their spouse. [i do think it's fine for a husband and wife to look "lustfully" or better stated - with desire- at each other.] I frankly would be miffed if my husband did not look with desire at me... I exercise and strive to take care of myself to make sure he does!

 

Jesus Christ says,“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[Exodus 20:14] But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." - Matthew 5:27-28 (NIV)

 

He also says, "But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander." - Matthew 15:18-19

 

Jesus Christ is more concerned with a person's heart than with his or her outward appearance. Why? Because people can be completely covered, yet have evil in their hearts. That is why it is important for people to keep their hearts clean and their eyes and brain from lust, no matter what other people wear or do.

 

I know many Muslims have an issue with Christian women not wearing a head covering, especially since Paul (who many Muslims don't typically admire) commanded the Christian women in Corinth to cover their heads (1 Corinthians 11).

 

There are many views concerning this passage. My Mom and many other Christian ladies believe that the head covering is the lady's hair, due to 1 Corinthians 11:14-15:

 

"Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering."

 

I believe this as well, plus I believe it to be a cultural issue, since Paul addresses other specific issues to the church in Corinth. No other passage in the Tanakh (Old Testament) or New Testament o the Bible specifically commands women to wear a head covering.

 

Now, I do admire women who cover their heads. I don't think it's bad at all. Actually, I saw a report on Vice News concerning fashion in Iran, and many of the head coverings and outer garments are beautiful!!! I would prefer wearing them, becuase they are truly lovely.

 

However, regardless of what women (or men) wear, it is vital to keep one's heart pure from sinful thoughts.

 

What do you think? Do you have any questions concerning Christianity and modesty, as well as self-control? Thank you in advance for your politeness and kindness.

 

Peace and God bless you

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is easier for one's thoughts to remain pure when his or her surroundings are pure - if he looks around and all the person sees is sin, then it would be a very likely chance that he or she will end up engaging in some sort of sin due to the influence of his or her surroundings.

Edited by Revolving Ace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is easier for one's thoughts to remain pure when his or her surroundings are pure - if he looks around and all the person sees is sin, then it would be a very likely chance that he or she will end up engaging in some sort of sin due to the influence of his or her surroundings.

 

Hello Revolving Ace,

 

That's true and a very good point eloquently stated. Thanks for sharing that.

 

Peace and God bless you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like that more christian women wear the head covering. Hijab is not limited to only Muslims.  I hate how its being limited to only muslims now and that i am easily being labeled as an extremist if I wear it.

 

make hijab more universal, every woman could wear one to be more modest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

make hijab more universal, every woman could wear one to be more modest.

 

Not necessarily "hijab" in the Islamic way but enough covering to make sure that you are not causing unnecessary discomfort to someone by arousing his physical desires.

 

Also, the concept of "late night parties" current in Western society needs to be remodelled thoroughly and the current model thrown away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is easier for one's thoughts to remain pure when his or her surroundings are pure - if he looks around and all the person sees is sin, then it would be a very likely chance that he or she will end up engaging in some sort of sin due to the influence of his or her surroundings.

 

I disagree. If you look around and all you see in your surrounding is sin...You are in the wrong place, change your surroundings.

If you are that easily influenced by sinful surroundings there's a good chance you sought it out these surroundings to engage in the sin.

If you get caught with a ham sandwich, don't blame the pig.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like that more christian women wear the head covering. Hijab is not limited to only Muslims.  I hate how its being limited to only muslims now and that i am easily being labeled as an extremist if I wear it.

 

make hijab more universal, every woman could wear one to be more modest.

 

Hello Enlightened,

 

Many Russian Orthodox elderly ladies wear a head scarf, which is very pretty. Amish ladies wear a head covering of sorts, as well as some Mennonite groups.

 

I would like to wear a head covering, but I do not want to be mistaken for a Muslim, since I don't follow Muhammad or the Qur'an. I wonder if putting a Christian symbol on a head covering would identify me as a Christian lady instead of a Muslim lady? Or, I could copy the Russian ladies and wear a pretty head scarf.

 

Long time ago, ladies in the USA and England wore bonnets or hats. That was a part of our culture that has since eroded.

 

I don't think there should be any law to make hijabs universal at all, but if any woman regardless of her belief wants to wear a hijab or head covering, that's fine and cool, especially when she herself decides to do so as a way to glorify God.

 

Peace and God bless you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Enlightened,

 

Many Russian Orthodox elderly ladies wear a head scarf, which is very pretty. Amish ladies wear a head covering of sorts, as well as some Mennonite groups.

 

I would like to wear a head covering, but I do not want to be mistaken for a Muslim, since I don't follow Muhammad or the Qur'an. I wonder if putting a Christian symbol on a head covering would identify me as a Christian lady instead of a Muslim lady? Or, I could copy the Russian ladies and wear a pretty head scarf.

 

Long time ago, ladies in the USA and England wore bonnets or hats. That was a part of our culture that has since eroded.

 

I don't think there should be any law to make hijabs universal at all, but if any woman regardless of her belief wants to wear a hijab or head covering, that's fine and cool, especially when she herself decides to do so as a way to glorify God.

 

Peace and God bless you

 

Hello,

 

sincere people should stop labelling themselves as Muslims, christians or Jews. A hijab is not a religious sign, its a clothing that represents modesty and can be worn by any woman. On world Hijab day, many women of different faiths have worn a Hijab, some people of no faith continued to wear the Hijab until today because it is a modest clothing. 

 

I don't mind wearing the nun's uniform, and I don't mind being mistaken for a christian, because I know that the covering I am wearing is not a symbol to send a message to the people or to show off my religion, but a clothing of modesty to please my creator.

 

covering the hair has never ever been an Islamic invention - It was there even during the pre-islamic era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Enlightened,

 

I personally believe in the freedom of people to identify themselves with "labels" if they so desire.

Labeling/Identifying oneself is not a crime, in my opinion.

So, I cannot say that people should stop labeling themselves.

 

My belief, as well as my gender, are part of who I am.

 

I have no problem with other people labeling themselves Atheists if they don't believe in God, or Agnostics if they don't know.

 

I have no problem with other people labeling themselves Muslims if they believe in Muhammad and the Qur'an.

 

I have no problem with other people labeling themselves as Jewish Orthodox or Jewish Reform, and so on.

 

I have no problem with other people labeling themselves as Jews, if that is what they are, same as I have no problem with Arabs or Persians or Native Americans or English or anybody labeling themselves their ethnicity.

 

Covering my head is not mandatory for pleasing my Creator, since it is not mandated in the Tanakh.

While Paul does mandate it to the church in Corinth, he also wrote,

"but if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For her hair is given to her for a covering." - 1 Corinthians 11:15.

This is the only place in the New Testament where head covering for women is mandated.

 

Obeying what Jesus Christ commands is how I please my Creator.

Jesus Christ did not command his female followers to cover their heads. 

 

Yes, head coverings were pre-Islamic.

Is there a verse in the Qur'an where head coverings became required?

If so, does this then mean that not all Arab women covered their heads before that command was given? Thanks.

 

Peace and God bless you

 

 

 

Hello,

 

sincere people should stop labelling themselves as Muslims, christians or Jews. A hijab is not a religious sign, its a clothing that represents modesty and can be worn by any woman. On world Hijab day, many women of different faiths have worn a Hijab, some people of no faith continued to wear the Hijab until today because it is a modest clothing. 

 

I don't mind wearing the nun's uniform, and I don't mind being mistaken for a christian, because I know that the covering I am wearing is not a symbol to send a message to the people or to show off my religion, but a clothing of modesty to please my creator.

 

covering the hair has never ever been an Islamic invention - It was there even during the pre-islamic era.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I disagree. If you look around and all you see in your surrounding is sin...You are in the wrong place, change your surroundings.

If you are that easily influenced by sinful surroundings there's a good chance you sought it out these surroundings to engage in the sin.

If you get caught with a ham sandwich, don't blame the pig.

I agree that one should refrain from visiting areas that are full of sins - but one should also realise that we are brought up in such sinful communities even from a small age, in the West for example we see sin everywhere - even when if we're just walking down the street.

As for the pig analogy, I'm not sure it works bro, one reason is people eat pork everywhere but not every person that eats pork is surrounded by pigs lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that one should refrain from visiting areas that are full of sins - but one should also realise that we are brought up in such sinful communities even from a small age, in the West for example we see sin everywhere - even when if we're just walking down the street.

As for the pig analogy, I'm not sure it works bro, one reason is people eat pork everywhere but not every person that eats pork is surrounded by pigs lol.

Sadly you are right about sin everywhere. Many years ago a woman wasn't allowed to show her ankles, now dresses are far above the knee. Since then a bare ankle doesn't mean anything. 

 

Actually, I've been going to the gulf of Mexico for fishing for years. The difference between seeing many bikinis and ogling every bikini that goes by is that I could care less. Maybe put a barracuda in a bikini and I'd look twice...

 

What I meant was don't blame the pig that died to be cured into the ham in the sandwich you just got caught with. j/k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/8/2015 at 10:22 AM, Christianlady said:

Hello Shiachat!

 

I have been away for awhile and due to recent news events, remembered Shiachat, curious about the reactions of Shiachat members to what happened in Paris. However, that's a different subject.

 

This subject is due to a message a very kind member sent me concerning head coverings for women and modesty.

 

I do see the value of dressing modestly. What promotes a well-functioning society however is not how people dress, but rather how they control their minds. That is why Job made this covenant:

 

"I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman.
For what is our lot from God above, our heritage from the Almighty on high?
Is it not ruin for the wicked, disaster for those who do wrong?
Does he not see my ways and count my every step?"

Job 31:1-4 (NIV)

 

The passage in Job is what is needed for people to do, both men and women, to make a covenant with their eyes not to look lustfully at people who are NOT their spouse. [i do think it's fine for a husband and wife to look "lustfully" or better stated - with desire- at each other.] I frankly would be miffed if my husband did not look with desire at me... I exercise and strive to take care of myself to make sure he does!

 

Jesus Christ says,“You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’[Exodus 20:14] But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart." - Matthew 5:27-28 (NIV)

 

He also says, "But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. For out of the heart come evil thoughts—murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander." - Matthew 15:18-19

 

Jesus Christ is more concerned with a person's heart than with his or her outward appearance. Why? Because people can be completely covered, yet have evil in their hearts. That is why it is important for people to keep their hearts clean and their eyes and brain from lust, no matter what other people wear or do.

 

I know many Muslims have an issue with Christian women not wearing a head covering, especially since Paul (who many Muslims don't typically admire) commanded the Christian women in Corinth to cover their heads (1 Corinthians 11).

 

There are many views concerning this passage. My Mom and many other Christian ladies believe that the head covering is the lady's hair, due to 1 Corinthians 11:14-15:

 

"Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering."

 

I believe this as well, plus I believe it to be a cultural issue, since Paul addresses other specific issues to the church in Corinth. No other passage in the Tanakh (Old Testament) or New Testament o the Bible specifically commands women to wear a head covering.

 

Now, I do admire women who cover their heads. I don't think it's bad at all. Actually, I saw a report on Vice News concerning fashion in Iran, and many of the head coverings and outer garments are beautiful!!! I would prefer wearing them, becuase they are truly lovely.

 

However, regardless of what women (or men) wear, it is vital to keep one's heart pure from sinful thoughts.

 

What do you think? Do you have any questions concerning Christianity and modesty, as well as self-control? Thank you in advance for your politeness and kindness.

 

Peace and God bless you

 

 

After my mother passed away last year, I did find myself exploring the idea of modesty and humility as a Christian. For the first time I asked myself: Am I modest? Am I modest enough? This lead me to explore some different options for Sundays of how I dress and how I act. My friends think I am being weird, but my family is supportive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Chantelle said:

After my mother passed away last year, I did find myself exploring the idea of modesty and humility as a Christian. For the first time I asked myself: Am I modest? Am I modest enough? This lead me to explore some different options for Sundays of how I dress and how I act. My friends think I am being weird, but my family is supportive.

Hello 

You are being sensible by thinking this way. Those who don't think and reflect are weird! Which are many.


If you want to know how modest you are, and want to know at which stage of modesty you are, just take a look at the pictures of Virgin Mary and read about her.. 

If you dress and act like her you are closest to the definition of true modesty. All other terms of modesty is defined by humans, not what is approved by God.

You will know straight away what is the definition of modesty both externally and internally once you truly reflect on the way she dressed and acted.

She should be your role model, as she is the optimum role model which is approved by God directly.

Edited by certainclarity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, certainclarity said:

Hello 

You are being sensible by thinking this way. Those who don't think and reflect are weird! Which are many.


If you want to know how modest you are, and want to know at which stage of modesty you are, just take a look at the pictures of Virgin Mary and read about her.. 

If you dress and act like her you are closest to the definition of true modesty. All other terms of modesty is defined by humans, not what is approved by God.

You will know straight away what is the definition of modesty both externally and internally once you truly reflect on the way she dressed and acted.

She should be your role model, as she is the optimum role model which is approved by God directly.

Thank you for your kind and wise words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...