Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Aabiss_Shakari

Who Is Your Imam Today Sunnis?

Rate this topic

(salam)

[17:71--Al Isra or bani Israil:71] (Remember) the day when We will call every people with their Imam; then whoever is given his book in his right hand, these shall read their book; and they shall not be dealt with a whit unjustly

How Sunnis interpret this verse of holy Quran? Who is their Imam today?

(salam)

[17:71--Al Isra or bani Israil:71] (Remember) the day when We will call every people with their Imam; then whoever is given his book in his right hand, these shall read their book; and they shall not be dealt with a whit unjustly

How Sunnis interpret this verse of holy Quran? Who is their Imam today?

Imam can be satan as well. Imam is the person you are most influenced by (it can be anyone or anything). My question to those who call themselves "Shias" is... Are you most influenced by the 12th imam? Or are you just paying lip service.

I thought Sunnis follow the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, who is appointed by the King.

I thought Sunnis follow the Grand Mufti of Saudi Arabia, who is appointed by the King.

There are many different groups of Sunni Muslims, and even the Grand Muftis disagree with eachother. Most Sunnis follow one of the four Fiqh Imaams. Edited by DaBeast313

There are many different groups of Sunni Muslims, and even the Grand Muftis disagree with eachother. Most Sunnis follow one of the four Fiqh Imaams.

So they are following four Fiqh Imams who are passed away?

From my understanding now Imam for us is Quran and Sunnah. 

Much better than absent Imam of isna ashariya.)

سورة المومنون

وَإِنَّ هَـٰذِهِ أُمَّتُكُمْ أُمَّةً وَاحِدَةً وَأَنَا رَ‌بُّكُمْ فَاتَّقُونِ ٥٢ فَتَقَطَّعُوا أَمْرَ‌هُم بَيْنَهُمْ زُبُرً‌ا ۖ كُلُّ حِزْبٍ بِمَا لَدَيْهِمْ فَرِ‌حُونَ ٥٣ فَذَرْ‌هُمْ فِي غَمْرَ‌تِهِمْ حَتَّىٰ حِينٍ ٥٤

This nation of yours is one nation, and I am your Lord, so fear Me. (52) But they tore themselves into sects; each party happy with what they have. (53) So leave them in their bewilderment until a time. (54)

Abu_Rumaysah instead of doing your Tafsir bil Rai. Please tell us from your reliable resources that who your imam is today? Can you tell me in Quran where the word "imam" is used in the sense of Quran and Sunnah?

“Whoever died and he had not Imam, died by death of ignorance”.

Abu Hatim (rahimuhullah) explained this as prophet (sallalahu alaihi wa ala alihi wa sallam). Meaning that he was Imam of all world, and whoever died without believing in him, or accepting him, died as a person in period of jahiliyah.

In Muslim’s Sahīh, one hadīth reads: “The faith shall remain standing till the time of the Hour, or you will be ruled by twelve caliphs, all from Quraysh". (Muslim, Sahīh, Vol. 4, p. 482, in the Book of Imāra, in a chapter about “People to follow Quraysh” (Dār al-Sha`ab), mentioned in al-Nawawi`s Sharh.) ....

Sunni scholars right throughout the history are completely confused on who are their 12 imam's/caliph mentioned in the traditions... While every Shia child knows who are their 12 imams..

(salam)

Sunnis follow the teachings of the Qur'an, as sent down by Allah, and the Prophet Muhammad  (pbuh). Surely we do not need a human deemed by other humans to be sinless to tell us what is right and wrong? We follow these schools of thought, which have the same basic ideologies, but different practices in terms of actions during Salah etc. 

I am leading some people in prayer, and they call me Imam. 

There are different types of Imams.

This statement here is one example of a sunni 'imam': someone who leads others in prayer (since imam in Arabic literally means "to stand in front of")and is chosen by the community, usually based on their knowledge and wisdom. 

I hope this answers your question  :)

(salam)

We follow these schools of thought, which have the same basic ideologies, but different practices in terms of actions during Salah etc. 

(salam)

Who told you to follow these schools of thought?

Is it prophecised, that these schools of thought are going come after the prophet (pbuh) and if you follow it, it will save you from hell fire?

If you do not follow someone guided, then how are you sure that the beliefs you have are not fabricated, because you follow someone who is fallible and capable of making mistakes and even can be a sinner.

Think logically.

Edited by The Light

(salam)

Sunnis follow the teachings of the Qur'an, as sent down by Allah, and the Prophet Muhammad  (pbuh). Surely we do not need a human deemed by other humans to be sinless to tell us what is right and wrong? We follow these schools of thought, which have the same basic ideologies, but different practices in terms of actions during Salah etc. 

(salam)

Do you believe in the justice of Allah swt ?

we, muslims, don't follow imams or other people who could fabricate lies. we do follow the quran and the sunni. the quran is a clear book. 

only Catholics follow their pope and shia follow their sayyids.

So umm, bukhari, muslim, and whoever else are infallible? Cool.

The verse does not remotely allude to the intended discussion, let alone the concept of Imamat.  If anything, our Shia brothers should explain Imamat to us - while identifying their own Imam - rather than asking us to substantiate their belief.

That been said, where is your "guided" 12th Imam?  What guidance has he brought forth which was excluded from the Qur'an?  Shia scholars are on record admitting that two-thirds of Al-Kafi is made up of weak narrations.  To do the least, can he not come and separate the wheat from the chaff?

So much for guidance!

It has been narrated on the authority of Jabir b. Samura who said:

I heard the Messenger of Allah (saww) say: Islam will continue to be triumphant until there have been twelve Caliphs. Then the Prophet (saww) said something which I could not understand. I asked my father: What did he say? He said: He has said that all of them (twelve Caliphs) will be from the Quraish.

I joined the company of the Prophet (saww) with my father and I heard him say: This Caliphate will not end until there have been twelve Caliphs among them. The narrator said: Then he (the Holy Prophet) said something that I could not follow. I said to my father: What did he say? He said: He has said: All of them will be from the Quraish.
Sahih Muslim.

I heard the Messenger of Allah (saww) say: Islam will continue to be triumphant until there have been twelve Caliphs. Then the Prophet (saww) said something which I could not understand. I asked my father: What did he say? He said: He has said that all of them (twelve Caliphs) will be from the Quraish.

I joined the company of the Prophet (saww) with my father and I heard him say: This Caliphate will not end until there have been twelve Caliphs among them. The narrator said: Then he (the Holy Prophet) said something that I could not follow. I said to my father: What did he say? He said: He has said: All of them will be from the Quraish.
Sahih Muslim.

This is not something trivial.

Do we have narrations, companions asking the holy prophet: who are these 12 caliphs (in details)? If I was there, i'd surely have asked, for the benefit of later on generations.

This is not something trivial.

Do we have narrations, companions asking the holy prophet: who are these 12 caliphs (in details)? If I was there, i'd surely have asked, for the benefit of later on generations.

Shias do have narrations, sunnis don't. In sahih Bukhari, there are even more hadiths Prophet (saww) mentioning 12 Imams/caliphs. But seems that most companions didnt care and didnt ask for more details.The Prophet (saww) didnt talk in vain for sure.

And, if you would ask who are the 12, then shias can also answer you, while sunnis dont know.

Edited by BrainUser

So how much the Bukhari and Muslim authentic? 100 %?

You did not seem to understand my point.  If your belief requires you to acknowledge the presence of a Divinely-Guided Imam while admitting that two-thirds of your hadiths (in Al-Kafi at least) are weak, then you have a problem.  That shows that the Divinely-Guided Imam has left you without guidance, for weak narrations to creep into your most prestigious hadith collection.  And therefore, you should be the last one questioning other Muslims as to who their Imam is!

Edited by muslim720

Funnily, Hadeeth al-Thaqalaayn which includes the Holy Qur`aan and Ahlulbaayt is Saheeh by Sunni standards.

Oh well.

Quran is common amongst both sunni & shia. Lets look for a sign in the holy book.

Quran never said follow the ahly bait. However it emphasizes on the prophets sunna; "wa ati Ullaha wa ati ur Rusool"

Quran is common amongst both sunni & shia. Lets look for a sign in the holy book.

Quran never said follow the ahly bait. However it emphasizes on the prophets sunna; "wa ati Ullaha wa ati ur Rusool"

(salam)

Yes, of course, the holy Quran says to obey Rasullallah (pbuh).

Rasulallah (pbuh) says to hold on to the Quran and Ahlul bayt (as).

And who said that if you follow the Ahlul bayt, it is against he sunnah of the prophet. There's no better source than the Ahlul bayt to take the Sunnah from. 

So, isn't this obedience to the messenger of Allah (pbuh)?

“ In Ch. LVI:v 79 God declares the Ahl al-Bayt as the persons purified by Him to be constantly in touch with the Qur’an in its original, hidden, well-protected, exalted and purified form.

This fact has been explained and supported by the celebrated statements of the Holy Prophet, narrated by a large number of his companions to this effect that he was leaving two inseparable entities among his followers, i.e.,

the Book of God and his Itrat (Ahl al-Bayt) and that whoever adheres to these two shall be saved from going astray.

But to reduce the importance of and counter the above declaration made by the Holy Prophet another statement has also been narrated from the Holy Prophet on the authority of Abu Haraira whose reliability has remained always questionable. His narration is that the Holy Prophet said: “I have left among you two things: if you adhere to them both, you shall not go astray after me; i.e., the Book of God and my Sunnah.”

The text itself does not stand a sound critical scrutiny. There is no doubt that the Sunnah in the sense of the Holy Prophet’s sayings, actions and endorsement has the same authoritative status as the Qur’an, but the question is that the Qur’an was in a written form and distinctly recorded to be referred to while the Holy Prophet’s Sunnah was not then recorded in a distinct form to be adhered to when disputes would arise.

On the contrary the disputants used to take advantage of the unrecorded Sunnah against each other. Therefore, to declare such a controversial source to have the same authoritative status as the Qur’an would not only be meaningless but would mean encouraging controversies.

The term Itrat or Ahl al-Bayt was well defined and known to everybody as the embodiment of the teachings of the Holy Prophet.

In short, to follow the Sunnah as it is in our hands will lead to controversies and errors but to follow the Itrat along with the Qur’an would mean following the Kitab and Sunnah in its true sense which would save the adherents from going astray and committing errors. “

Page: 127

Essence of The Holy Qur’an (The Eternal Light)

By: Ayatullah Agha Haji Mirza Mahdi Pooya.

Edited by S.M.H.A.

^^ Hah! It is rather so trivial for Sunnis to determine their Imam. Here is how. Read and despair Shias!~

When two Imams are present in a Masjid at one given time and some of their qualities are equal, the criteria used to decide which of the two Imams should lead the prayers are as follows:

Al-Hanafi Al-Askafi: (Sunni grand scholar)

The one who deserves more to lead the prayer is, in Majma' Al-Anhur: [more knowledgeable about the rulings of prayers]:

It is measured by the level of his avoiding the obvious obscene acts and keeping away from that which is obligatory or compulsory, and it is said that it is Sunnah that [he has better recitation] and Tajweed [in recitation and piety], which has more self-restraint from doubtful acts and abstinence from prohibited acts, [then the older] i.e. he should be older in his submission to Islam, so it might be that a young man leads an old man who has newly converted to Islam and the scholars have said: The more pious should be given priority and in Al-Nahr quoting from Al-Zaad it has been said: And the other criteria should be considered according to that, like: The most knowledgeable should be given priority and so on. At this point, it might be needed to choose by drawing lots, [then the best in manners] i.e. conduct with people, [then their best in sleeping] i.e. their best in performing nightly prayers, in Al-Zaad it adds: Then the one who wakes up earlier, i.e. sleeps lighter, then the most descent, [then the best in his lineage], in Al-Burhan it adds: Then their best in their voice and in Al-Ishbah there are about eight characteristics; Then the one whose wife is more beautiful, then the one who has more money, then the one who has more possession, then the one whose clothes are cleaner, then the one whose head is larger and his penis is smaller, then the resident is preferred over the traveller, then the free should lead the slave, then the person who has done Tayammum due to nocturnal emission should lead the person who has done Tayammum due to Janabah.

Source: Dur Al-Mukhtar. Pg. # 76.

a-1.jpg

Allamah Al-Shurunbulati Al-Hanafi:(Sunni grand scholar)

Then the one whose wife is more beautiful, for his better chastity, then the one whose head is larger and his member (penis) is smaller, then the one who has more wealth, then the one who has more possession.

Source: Maraqi Al-Fallah. Pg. # 112.

B-2.jpg

Allamah Al-Tahtawi Al-Hanafi:(Sunni grand scholar)

[Then the one whose head is larger] i.e. a size which is not so huge, otherwise it could create disgust. His statement: [Then the one who has a smaller member] some of the scholars have interpreted it as penis, because the great size of it shows in most cases low morality and moves freely and so on, and such matters are not known in most cases except by information or checking and this is rare, and the same is said about the one having the most beautiful wife.

C-2.jpg

So, you see? A quick look at the beauty of, say, Al-Baghdadi's wife and a peek at his privately and we've got the winner. It is Al-Baghdadi, therefore, behind whom our fine Sunni brethren Al-Rumaysha and EtHeReAL will stand on the judgment day.

Wallahul Aleem.