Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Imam Ali - Ghadeer Khum

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Asalamalikum War'hamtual, 

I have recently started going in to depth and educating myself through The Holy Quran, and books about Islam until I find the

right Hawza to attend. So sometimes when I can't find answers I will turn to this generous site. My question I have been

researching for a while now, and no luck; is about Ghadeer Khum. I know that there is a lot of narrations from both Shia and

Sunni that this took place. I have no doubt that Prophet Muhammed (SWT) appointed Imam Ali (AS) as his successor but what

I am confused about is:

1. Some Ulama and Ahadith say that the Ayah "Oh Messenger, announce that which has been revealed to you from your lord,

and if you do not you have not conveyed his message, and Allah will protect you from the people. Indeed Allah does not guide

the disbelieving people." (Chp.5:V 67) was sent down before the event of Ghadeer and was meant to say that Imam Ali is the

​Khalif after our Prophet. My question is what is the proof that this ayah was really sent down for this reason? 

2. Just a weird thought I've had, if Sunni narrators mentioned Imam Ali and the event of Ghadeer Khum, why are they Sunni? 

2. Just a weird thought I've had, if Sunni narrators mentioned Imam Ali and the event of Ghadeer Khum, why are they Sunni? 

Because they interpreted as either friend or spiritual authority.  Shias on the other hand give an absolute authority to the meaning.

Because they interpreted as either friend or spiritual authority.  Shias on the other hand give an absolute authority to the meaning.

How Ian Shias give absolute authority to the Imams when they apparently didn't have absolute authority? If Caliphate is an essential component to wilaya then a wali is necessarily a caliph and nothing can prevent someone from being a caliph if he is truly a wali.

How Ian Shias give absolute authority to the Imams when they apparently didn't have absolute authority? If Caliphate is an essential component to wilaya then a wali is necessarily a caliph and nothing can prevent someone from being a caliph if he is truly a wali.

Quran says Prophets were all sent to be obeyed by God's permission. Yet we see Prophets disobeyed, some killed, most not ruling people in the normal sense of the word.

But they still hold absolute obedience.  The great mulk the family of Ibrahim was given was that obeying them meant obeying God and disobeying them meant disobeying God. 

The Ulil-Amr are likewise to be obeyed, and obeying them would be obeying God and disobeying them would be disobeying God.

Likewise Talut was a King because he was chosen by God over Bani-Israel and had superior knowledge and physique (the power of Amrallah connected to his body).  The Prophet appointing Talut further clarifies God gives his authority to whom he pleases, and we know God's authority is absolute.

• Advanced Member

(wasalam)

I recommend you get your hands on a good book that discusses this issue in-depth. The Charismatic Community by Dr. Dakake. You may or may not agree with her conclusions but she provides a good amount of evidence regarding how the people (especially the `Alid Camp) viewed the Prophet's statement at Ghadir. It was quite an eye-opening read, if I am completely honest. 

Edited by Ali Musaaa :)

Quran says Prophets were all sent to be obeyed by God's permission. Yet we see Prophets disobeyed, some killed, most not ruling people in the normal sense of the word.

But they still hold absolute obedience.  The great mulk the family of Ibrahim was given was that obeying them meant obeying God and disobeying them meant disobeying God. 

The Ulil-Amr are likewise to be obeyed, and obeying them would be obeying God and disobeying them would be disobeying God.

Likewise Talut was a King because he was chosen by God over Bani-Israel and had superior knowledge and physique (the power of Amrallah connected to his body).  The Prophet appointing Talut further clarifies God gives his authority to whom he pleases, and we know God's authority is absolute.

Yes, prophets were disobeyed.  But the Prophet still functioned completely as a prophet because the message was delivered.  and since their message was delivered their function as a prophet and messenger was fulfilled.  

Yes, prophets were disobeyed.  But the Prophet still functioned completely as a prophet because the message was delivered.  and since their message was delivered their function as a prophet and messenger was fulfilled.  

But one of the purposes of the Prophets were that they be obeyed by God's permission. One of their purposes was that they bring the people out of darkness to the light. They perform their duty of course, but not everything they are sent for happens. 

But one of the purposes of the Prophets were that they be obeyed by God's permission. One of their purposes was that they bring the people out of darkness to the light. They perform their duty of course, but not everything they are sent for happens.

To are missing the point here. It all depends how much you want to include within the scope of prophecy. If you say, "a prophet is a prophet who has a message of truth and who not only delivers the message successfully to people but somehow enables them to be guided by it (even though it is only God who puts faith in hearts)", then yes! According to your definition and scope of prophecy, a prophet better have guided every single one of his people. But since such is not the case we know that our presumption for what is included within the scope of prophecy is wrong.