Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
muslimchingu

British Accent

Rate this topic

Slam Alaikum

As i stared learning English long long ago i always had American accent teachers except once that my teacher was a Syrian woman who had been England for some years and she had some British Accent. However, since i always liked British Accent struggled not to learn my teachers' American accent and the result is i speak neither British nor American =D i have a kinda neutral accent which i don't like! Anyway i was wondering is here any British sister or brother or anyone who knows this accent very well, and like to help me? For example any suggesting book or podcast?

i had a close friend in my class from England. I picked up her British accent. Accents are my thing though, like i pick them up quick. Watch good british shows. You will pick it up within a week. Just practice speaking it to your siblings or when you're joking with your friends. Practice practice practice , remember!

what does this Aussie word mean????

It is a language that is only known to a few in the world.

It's dialect and grammar very difficult to grasp.

Just imagine when you travel through time at the speed of light then when you slow down to stop , at that moment when everything is in slow motion , the Aussie accent becomes understandable .

I believe this is how this accent was created.

Edited by :Sami II

It is a language that is only known to a few in the world.

It's dialect and grammar very difficult to grasp.

Just imagine when you travel through time at the speed of light then when you slow down to stop , at that moment when everything is in slow motion , the Aussie accent becomes understandable .

I believe this is how this accent was created.

It sounds wired!i didn't catch what you mean by this?

Is your accent like those reporters on PressTV?  Where they are clearly Arab, Iranian, Pakistani, etc but have this English speaking accent that comes from God knows where?  From an unidentifiable area.  Seriously, where do these accents come from?

Edited by magma

Is your accent like those reporters on PressTV?  Where they are clearly Arab, Iranian, Pakistani, etc but have this English speaking accent that comes from God knows where?  From an unidentifiable area.  Seriously, where do these accents come from?

No No No!!!! I didn't say that! I just want to improve, never said i'm that bad!! Have you ever watched Arabic CCTV Channel? There is a man who talks arabic in an awesome way with a brilliant Arabic accent!!! Speaking Arabic with a Chinese face! Seriously if you don't look at him you won't realize that his not an Arab! You know i am seeking something like this!

Slam Alaikum

As i stared learning English long long ago i always had American accent teachers except once that my teacher was a Syrian woman who had been England for some years and she had some British Accent. However, since i always liked British Accent struggled not to learn my teachers' American accent and the result is i speak neither British nor American =D i have a kinda neutral accent which i don't like! Anyway i was wondering is here any British sister or brother or anyone who knows this accent very well, and like to help me? For example any suggesting book or podcast?

Watch parliament debates, politicians are always the ones who have the best accent and are very well spoken (my opinion).  Speak slowly and put emphasis in each word.

or watch English dramas like Downton Abbey  :D

And actually, for the record, I don't think the British accent is really all that great.

yeah agree it's not great it's actully fabulous, super awesome, brilliant! ^_^ British accent is the best English accent especially London area accent!

Well, not all British accents sound good :P

There are various British accents, and the "Cockney accent" is actually from the London area, but it doesn't sound very sophisticated. Example here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockney#Speech

Also, an interesting thing is that the British accent's tendency to not pronounce the "R" sound really only became common about 200 years ago:

So English in Shakespeare's time might have been more like a mix of Irish and Canadian/American accents:

Or from the comments on that page, I see some suggest an accent from the 1600s sounded like this:

Anyway, the Canadian accent is the best  B)

Now it's about (pronounced aboot) time I go eat something, eh?

(just kidding, most Canadians don't pronounce it as aboot, and I never really say "eh")  

The general Canadian accent is very neutral though, which is good for being easily understood by English speakers from many different countries.

You might also find this interesting:

The Newfoundland accent is a lot different... it's more like an Irish accent.

Edited by Bright

yeah agree it's not great it's actully fabulous, super awesome, brilliant! ^_^ British accent is the best English accent especially London area accent!

Nope, its terrible.  But I guess the affinity for it remains the byproduct of post-colonial Stockholm Syndrome. 

You do know there's no such thing as a "British" accent?

Great Britain is made up of Scotland, N. Ireland, Wales and England. Those states alone have a vast range of dialect and accent differences.

Focusing mainly on England, we have the Liverpudlian, Mancunian, brummie, cockney, the standard London accent, which isn't posh but doesn't sound like cockney either (thank God!), the Northern English accents, Newcastle, Yorkshire and them other shires... Loaaads.

I think the one that is usually named "British" is the standard London accent, which is called "received pronunciation" - what a dumb name.

But there you go, fascinating stuff ain't it.