Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Does God Get "angry"?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

I understand that the Imams (as) advised us not to glean into the essence of God else we become Zindiqs. Not that I attempt to in full zeal.

However, in my many reading I got the sense that God does not think because thinking is what created beings do. He just say 'Be!'. I was made to understand that the Universe was created without any blueprint to start with! Perhaps He does use concepts like 'plan', 'see', 'hear' and so on merely to represent Himself in a manner that we understand His Magnificence.

Likewise I notice the word 'ghadab' which means 'anger/wrath' mentioned like 22 times. Personally, I do not believe that he gets ANGRY LIKE HULK DOES at any particular event/instances. It is merely an expression of intense dislike which deserves punishment or chastisement like being heavily cursed of some sort.

What I am getting at is that God is too Sublime to change state from one to another, yes? Else He will be like us too.

I just like to think He is some kind of cool, wise dude—putting it in a 'human way'.

• Veteran Member

yes we can --- Yarrabi. Forgive me I wrote as an Obamite. Not intentional.

We can get "rid of it". (That is better, ahamduallah.)

Use the ayats that refer to physical observations. Example from Sura Naml, in referring to birds, "nothing holds them up but the power of Allah(s.w.t.)" Birds are still aerodynamically indescribable. Dwell on this a few times when you see birds. Same with celestials.

From this you develop a "sense of appreciation" that does not have a vocabulary unless it is one of the 99 Names (s.w.t.)

Edited by hasanhh

• Advanced Member

I understand that the Imams (as) advised us not to glean into the essence of God else we become Zindiqs. Not that I attempt to in full zeal.

However, in my many reading I got the sense that God does not think because thinking is what created beings do. He just say 'Be!'. I was made to understand that the Universe was created without any blueprint to start with! Perhaps He does use concepts like 'plan', 'see', 'hear' and so on merely to represent Himself in a manner that we understand His Magnificence.

Likewise I notice the word 'ghadab' which means 'anger/wrath' mentioned like 22 times. Personally, I do not believe that he gets ANGRY LIKE HULK DOES at any particular event/instances. It is merely an expression of intense dislike which deserves punishment or chastisement like being heavily cursed of some sort.

What I am getting at is that God is too Sublime to change state from one to another, yes? Else He will be like us too.

I just like to think He is some kind of cool, wise dude—potting it in a 'human way'.

Do not describe Him otherwise you will get to nowhere..no one can describe him .He is above all things

we can say that Allah gets angry, if we use the word ghadab as a reference. but we can not picture this anger or compare it to any anger we know. he is al-Samad .. there is no equivalent to Him ..

but on some abstract level we can relate to Allah, resonate with Him .. that's why we understand the meanings of His Names. But it is important to know that He is not His Names. He is beyond His Names .. So best just surrender and say Allahu Akbar :) Allah is Bigger / Greater ... always greater than what we think or can express or perceive .. 

May God forgive me as i do not know the gradings of this hadith, but the Imams a.s have addressed this issue in such a sublime way! I am very surprised nobody has actually quoted the hadith by the Imams a.s in Al Kafi, seeing as it is our most authentic work, even if it isn't a 'sahih' as such like Bukhari.

I was in the company of Abu Ja‘far (p.b.u.h.),

when Amr ibn Ubayd came in and inquired of the
Imam, ‘May I be made your ransom! The words of
Allah, be blessed the Sublime: And on whomso-
ever my anger alights, that man is hurled to ruin.
What is the meaning of “My anger” (in this
verse).’ Abu Ja‘far (a.s) replied, ‘O Amr! His
anger signifies His punishment. Verily, whoever
thought Allah shifts from one state to another
has actually ascribed to Allah the attributes of
His creatures. Nothing can provoke Allah, the

Sublime, to bring any change in Him.’

Kitab Al Kafi,

Source: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6rz5f3vgj1rywy0/IL4TmVC8Rt/Selections%20From%20the%20Book%20of%20al-Kafi%20Vol.%203%20-%20Sheikh%20al-Kulayni.pdf

Page 78

Edited by Muhammed Ali

• Advanced Member

this is, one of the statements of Imam Husein A.S in the day of Arafa, my translation might not be that exact to the Arabic word, but it indicates the same thing mentioned in this post.

O My God, your satisfaction is that exalted that, there is no cause to change it even from you, your self let alone the causes outsides

إِلَهِي تَقَدَّسَ رِضَاكَ أَنْ تَكُونَ لَهُ عِلَّةٌ مِنْكَ فَكَيْفَ يَكُونُ لَهُ عِلَّةٌ مِنِّي

• Advanced Member

I just like to think He is some kind of cool, wise dude—putting it in a 'human way'.

Salamalaikum

To know Him, He created awliya and He considers their anger, happiness etc as His. I.e., their states Are His and they remain them and He remains He.

Ya ali madad

I don't think God changes state of being either.

But something needs to be clarified. God's displeasure, sadness or anger at evil, is describing the same glory and state of his pleasure in good, and happiness in honorable acts. God is one ultimate state, one glory, and it refers to all his attributes and names. He is only absolute beauty glory majesty that is constantly in a unified state. As it relates to us with situations, we use differing names to understand, but ultimately it's God being God.