Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Salam 3aleykom

Is music haram?

I cannot understand why it is haram. After reading much about it, I am not convinced.
here are my arguments on why music is not haram.

1. Nothing in the Quran says anything about music being haram. I am aware that people have translated "vain talk" into music, but that is not a strong translation at all. 
I don't thing God(swt) would leave such a matter ambiguous if it was haram. Fornication, alcohol, and gambling are clearly mentioned as being haram. I dont know what else is haram, that is not mentioned in the Quran, but I feel that if music was haram, God would have stated it clearly.

2.How many people have watched "the message" or the series "Prophet Yousef". Can we agree that they are positive? They both contain music in them.

3."Ghina is haram". and ghina means the prolonging of a voice in different pitches or notes. isn't that exactly the adan?

4.when it rains and a there is a steady beat of rain drops on your window sill or patio, and the wind blows through your pipes, is that not a form of music? and is that not a natural music? 

I will agree that some music is haram because of bad lyrics, but overall i'm not convinced a classical piano piece or drum beat is haram.

please if you want to reply

- do not use the argument "music is haram because he(anyone) said so", and not clarify on why or how he came to the that conclusion.
I want to know the philosophy behind the decisions and not the people behind them. 

If you cannot follow this one rule, please refrain from replying. 

• Advanced Member

please if you want to reply

- do not use the argument "music is haram because he(anyone) said so", and not clarify on why or how he came to the that conclusion.

Even if that person is our Imam? Or our Prophet?

There are explicit authentic hadith which state that music is haraam. At this point itdepends on whether or not you obey your Imam.

As for a philosophical reason, please give me the reason for Tawaf, or circumcision, or Hajj. Please give me the philosophical reason for rulings on purity of water.

Of course, there are numerous reasons behind all of Allah's commands. But that doesn't mean the reasons are 1) revealed at all, 2) revealed to us, or 3) grasp-able for the average human being like us

The number one logic behind any ruling in Islam is THAT Allah (swt) commands it. Obedience. Allah commands it and we are his slaves, so we obey.

You say that since there's nowhere explicit in the Quran which condemns music you listen to it. But is Imamat explicitly stated iin the Quran?

Apart from that, there are 2 Quran habibi. They are the LIVING Quran, and the WRITTEN quran. Prophet Muhammad and his Ahlulbayt are the living Quran.

Did they listen to Music?

WOULD they listen to music?

Evan if there's an explicite surah denouncing music you would still find some way to interpret the Surah differently.

Islam is Submission, to throw away all baggage of the world, addictions, bad habots, and subit to Allah.

If you would like me to reference the numerous hadith about music tell me.

Salam

Even if that person is our Imam? Or our Prophet?
There are explicit authentic hadith which state that music is haraam. At this point itdepends on whether or not you obey your Imam.

You did not follow the one rule I asked you to. And your reply is very aggressive, It does not need to be.

As for a philosophical reason, please give me the reason for Tawaf, or circumcision, or Hajj. Please give me the philosophical reason for rulings on purity of water.

all the above have countless philosophical reasons, for example circumcision has been proven to be more hygienic and less likely to catch diseases. Tawaf has a cosmic effect of the placement of the Kaaba on earth and the rotation is said to have an effect.. Hajj, can give you an idea of the physical experience of  Hajira (may Allah be pleased with her)  . Water being pure is philosophical in itself. as in its clear, and abundant. 

Of course, there are numerous reasons behind all of Allah's commands. But that doesn't mean the reasons are 1) revealed at all, 2) revealed to us, or 3) grasp-able for the average human being like us

actually all of what is haram makes sense of why it is haram. gambling, adultry, alcohol, ribba all have clear reasons on why they are haram.

The number one logic behind any ruling in Islam is THAT Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì commands it. Obedience. Allah commands it and we are his slaves, so we obey.

so where does God command that music is haram?

You say that since there's nowhere explicit in the Quran which condemns music you listen to it. But is Imamat explicitly stated iin the Quran?

there are many things that we follow that are not in the Quran, but i specifically referred to things that are haram.

Apart from that, there are 2 Quran habibi. They are the LIVING Quran, and the WRITTEN quran. Prophet Muhammad and his Ahlulbayt are the living Quran.

Did they listen to Music?
WOULD they listen to music?

I dont think the prophet (s.a.w) would have had time to listen to music, just like he would not  have had time to paint a painting.

Evan if there's an explicite surah denouncing music you would still find some way to interpret the Surah differently.

NO, if there was i would be convinced and I would'nt have this discussion. the tone of this sentence is very insulting. 

Islam is Submission, to throw away all baggage of the world, addictions, bad habots, and subit to Allah.

music is not an addiction to me..neither do i see it as a bad habit as of yet.
You have written a reply purely based on emotion and with very little respect to my Iman and sincerity in the discussion.
To be honest i am not looking to argue or fight. I am looking to have an intellectual discussion on what are the possible reasons music can have negative repercussions that make it haram. It is also a philosophical question. 

but it seems the mere mention of something you disagree with angered you.  Even if you were 100% correct at the end, this answer is immature and weak and has failed to convinced me.

If you would like me to reference the numerous hadith about music tell me.

Edited by Tarek Chehab
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

Personally, I think the first and the best reason to accept religious obligations is absolute submission and obedience to Allah (s.w.t.) through Ahlulbayt's (a.s.) teachings.

That being said, there are certain benefits that may come to mind when we think about these obligations, given our limited understanding.

Quran says:

وَمَا هَـٰذِهِ الْحَيَاةُ الدُّنْيَا إِلَّا لَهْوٌ وَلَعِبٌ ۚ وَإِنَّ الدَّارَ‌ الْآخِرَ‌ةَ لَهِيَ الْحَيَوَانُ ۚ لَوْ كَانُوا يَعْلَمُونَ ٦٤

And this worldly life is not but diversion and amusement. And indeed, the home of the Hereafter - that is the [eternal] life, if only they knew. (64)

فَذَرْ‌هُمْ يَخُوضُوا وَيَلْعَبُوا حَتَّىٰ يُلَاقُوا يَوْمَهُمُ الَّذِي يُوعَدُونَ ٨٣

So leave them to converse vainly and amuse themselves until they meet their Day which they are promised. (83)

إِنَّمَا الْحَيَاةُ الدُّنْيَا لَعِبٌ وَلَهْوٌ ۚ وَإِن تُؤْمِنُوا وَتَتَّقُوا يُؤْتِكُمْ أُجُورَ‌كُمْ وَلَا يَسْأَلْكُمْ أَمْوَالَكُمْ ٣٦

[This] worldly life is only amusement and diversion. And if you believe and fear Allah, He will give you your rewards and not ask you for your properties. (36)

اعْلَمُوا أَنَّمَا الْحَيَاةُ الدُّنْيَا لَعِبٌ وَلَهْوٌ وَزِينَةٌ وَتَفَاخُرٌ‌ بَيْنَكُمْ وَتَكَاثُرٌ‌ فِي الْأَمْوَالِ وَالْأَوْلَادِ ۖ كَمَثَلِ غَيْثٍ أَعْجَبَ الْكُفَّارَ‌ نَبَاتُهُ ثُمَّ يَهِيجُ فَتَرَ‌اهُ مُصْفَرًّ‌ا ثُمَّ يَكُونُ حُطَامًا ۖ وَفِي الْآخِرَ‌ةِ عَذَابٌ شَدِيدٌ وَمَغْفِرَ‌ةٌ مِّنَ اللَّـهِ وَرِ‌ضْوَانٌ ۚ وَمَا الْحَيَاةُ الدُّنْيَا إِلَّا مَتَاعُ الْغُرُ‌ورِ‌ ٢٠

Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children - like the example of a rain whose [resulting] plant growth pleases the tillers; then it dries and you see it turned yellow; then it becomes [scattered] debris. And in the Hereafter is severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and approval. And what is the worldly life except the enjoyment of delusion. (20)

So as you can see, worldly amusements, things that entertain you and make time pass in enjoyable, worldly way, can easily distract you from Allah (s.w.t.) and His approval.

These are the things that are tightly connected to the life of this world and its delusional dimension. Therefore, I think, it makes a lot of sense that listening to a music, which is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings, is forbidden.

BTW, I don't think anyone here would want to be disrespectful to your Iman and your sincerity in the discussion. At least, I did not feel that way when I read responses to your post.

(wasalam)

Edited by Abdul Majid
  • Advanced Member

Salam,

from my understanding of music, and listening to it, and singing, and playing an instrument etc.. all of these are not very religious. If we think about it, most of the people that DO listen or sing songs are not very religious. People who are religious and practising REFRAIN from all types of music. This way the heart does not get enticed by the rhythms and the lyrics of the song. Test it for yourself, refrain from all sorts of music for a week and you will begin to see the power of music. You will also realise how it can lead you to non-religious thoughts and therefore these thoughts could lead to bad actions if you listen to music. So basically, listening to music for a long time, can weaken your emaan. If you wish to strengthen your emaan, you can try deleting all the music from your phone, and other electronic devices. 

Kind regards,

Anisa

• Advanced Member

Salam alaykum brother.

Sorry if I was hostile, that wasn't the intention.

I had a friend who was just like you. He was a convert and music was his whole life. He liked the core tenets of Islam, but it was hard for him to pray, fast, etc. Eventually he did and we welcomed him.

He had a job at a music therapy center, and played many instruments. I didn't know how to approach him on the issue. Music was his whole life.

I'll finish his story later on, but let me reiterate some of my points and explain them in a better way.

The Holy Quran is our guide. It doesn't contain the name of some important prophets, yet alone all of them. It doesn't formally list the ruling of how to purchase and acquire halal meats when living in foreign lands, and a step by step instruction on slaughtering an animal with all the mustahabat (recommended actions). The Quran is simply a holistic book that gives us a guide in the tents and fundementals of Islam.

however, as the Quran itself claims, the Holy Prophet (saw) is a mercy onto our world and does nothing out of his free will. All actions he takes are the decrees of Allah. Therefore, the actions of the prophet themselves are A guide for us. If he demands something we must obey. He is the Living Quran: he has insight to the meaning, and deep meanings of the Quran, and he puts it into practice.therefore, as the Quran says, in him is an excellent role model for humanity. MaNY rulings we have are interpolated frpm the prophet's aactions. We know the rules of prayer not because it's in the Quran, but because he told us. We know the rules of fasting both by the Quran and by the Prophet's actions.

Next, you say that there must be a logical philosophical reason for all actions in Islam. You are right. There exists several. But that is a bad reason to enact any of them. It is debatable whether or not we should eat pig. There exist scientists from both sides who fight for and against it. Many modern day christians are not cicumcised, and modern scientists are coming out in condemnation of the practice. We only need one reason to do anythin in Islam: obedience.

Obedience.

Allah demands it so we do it.

Done. There is no room for debate. You can't take an order you don't like and not do it. In Islam we submit. That is our 1 reason. In the end, the long term effects will benefit us. But because we put aside our comfort for the will of Allah is why Allah rewards us.

As for my friend, I told him about it, but he refused to listen. He came up with some convoluted answer from a random marja and showed me.

(salam)

Music is a very powerful tool for mind control and programming.

The music industry is a very successful apparatus for the elites to keep the masses dumb and stupid .

It's artists are wizards and black magicians that love to worship :Iblees, and they don't hide it.

As a :Shia you must be always on guard and protect yourself from such things.

Your mind and soul is a highly sensitive most advanced piece of technology , and your :Creator swt has given instructions on how to use it so it may benefit you. He has also warned you of it's abuse , and most music today is one of the worst abuses to your body , mind and soul.

A leading recording studio expert, once told me when any music is recored and produced , it goes through a certain ritual , through frequencies and harmonics manipulation , that allows certain entities to attach itself to it , so when you listen to it , the entity attaches itself to you allowing your state to change and you enter other realms to which you become very vulnerable .

This is known as black magic , and there's also a science to this, many research is done on the manipulation of certain frequencies which distorts the brain functions and thought patterns.

Just look at the masses today especially our youth walking around like zombies , compliments of the music industry.

ws

Edited by :Sami II
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

The music industry is a very successful apparatus for the elites to keep the masses dumb and stupid .

It's artists are wizards and black magicians that love to worship :Iblees, and they don't hide it.

Your mind and soul is a highly sensitive most advanced piece of technology , and your :Creator swt has given instructions on how to use it so it may benefit you. He has also warned you of it's abuse , and most music today is one of the worst abuses to your body , mind and soul.

A leading recording studio expert, once told me when any music is recored and produced , it goes through a certain ritual , through frequencies and harmonics manipulation , that allows certain entities to attach itself to it , so when you listen to it , the entity attaches itself to you allowing your state to change and you enter other realms to which you become very vulnerable .

This is known as black magic , and there's also a science to this, many research is done on the manipulation of certain frequencies which distorts the brain functions and thought patterns.

Just look at the masses today especially our youth walking around like zombies , compliments of the music industry.

ws

This is very true. I always noticed jinns with music. They attach themselves to you and I can feel the difference. Sometimes when the jinn is very powerful I even get a headache. Its one reason I gave up music but everyone I know listens to it and it plays everywhere even at the grocery.

• Advanced Member

Abu Bakr cam to see me and I had two girls with me from among the girls of the Ansar and they were singing what the Ansar recited to one another at the battle of Bu,ath.They were not however singing girls.Upon (seing)this,Abu Bakr said,"What?This wind instrument of Satan(being played) in the house of the Messenger of Allah and this too on Eid day?" At this,the Messanger of Allah said,"Abu Bakr, all people have a festival and this is our festival(so let them play on)".

Sahih Bukhari -book of Friday prayers-Hadith 897(and others in Muslim etc)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

ws

i make music and non of this is true......most of the people who blame music to be haram is because of its poetry and not because of its sound part.  poetry and music are two different things.

i dont see any reason for it to be haram.

(salam)

So as you can see, worldly amusements, things that entertain you and make time pass in enjoyable, worldly way, can easily distract you from Allah (s.w.t.) and His approval.

These are the things that are tightly connected to the life of this world and its delusional dimension. Therefore, I think, it makes a lot of sense that listening to a music, which is suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings, is forbidden.

BTW, I don't think anyone here would want to be disrespectful to your Iman and your sincerity in the discussion. At least, I did not feel that way when I read responses to your post.

(wasalam)

so you are sayting that you dont spend time enjoying and asmusing at all? you dont play?you dont watch tv? you dont spend time with family and friends talking? you dont go out  to have some good enjoyable time at all? really?.....but when it comes to music its haram...it all makes sense right?

• Advanced Member

i make music and non of this is true......most of the people who blame music to be haram is because of its poetry and not because of its sound part.  poetry and music are two different things.

i dont see any reason for it to be haram.

so you are sayting that you dont spend time enjoying and asmusing at all? you dont play?you dont watch tv? you dont spend time with family and friends talking? you dont go out  to have some good enjoyable time at all? really?.....but when it comes to music its haram...it all makes sense right?

Dear Alizulfiqar, why quoting just part of my post? didn't you read all of my post? Let me repeat:

"Personally, I think the first and the best reason to accept religious obligations is absolute submission and obedience to Allah (s.w.t.) through Ahlulbayt's (a.s.) teachings.

That being said, there are certain benefits that may come to mind when we think about these obligations, given our limited understanding."

Please don't forget, I'm not presenting reasons!

And to answer your question, we should avoid whatever makes us forget Allah (s.w.t.). (This is not a ruling like those in sistani.org, and I'm not saying it is haram!)

• Advanced Member

Dear Alizulfiqar, why quoting just part of my post? didn't you read all of my post? Let me repeat:

"Personally, I think the first and the best reason to accept religious obligations is absolute submission and obedience to Allah (s.w.t.) through Ahlulbayt's (a.s.) teachings.

That being said, there are certain benefits that may come to mind when we think about these obligations, given our limited understanding."

Please don't forget, I'm not presenting reasons!

And to answer your question, we should avoid whatever makes us forget Allah (s.w.t.). (This is not a ruling like those in sistani.org, and I'm not saying it is haram!)

i did read your complete post, but the reason i only qouted last part  was because that was your conclusion. To my undersatnding non of those ayaats say anything about music specifically...all they say is that the 'worldy life' is nothing but amusement. Worldly can be eveything that we have here in this world.

and what religious obligations are you talking about? how is it related to music?

to me, to make somthing out of nothing is a quality or a gift of god to mankind.

Music is eveywhere in nature if we pay attention....if it was something useless god would have never created it and he would have never given us the quality to express and be creative in the first place....by making music i feel we just try to imitate god himself and that way you feel closer to god not far from him.

• Advanced Member

i did read your complete post, but the reason i only qouted last part  was because that was your conclusion. To my undersatnding non of those ayaats say anything about music specifically...all they say is that the 'worldy life' is nothing but amusement. Worldly can be eveything that we have here in this world.

and what religious obligations are you talking about? how is it related to music?

to me, to make somthing out of nothing is a quality or a gift of god to mankind.

Music is eveywhere in nature if we pay attention....if it was something useless god would have never created it and he would have never given us the quality to express and be creative in the first place....by making music i feel we just try to imitate god himself and that way you feel closer to god not far from him.

If you really want to know about your religious obligations, please take a look at this link and check out with your marja to see what his ruling is regarding music.

(wasalam)

Edited by hameedeh
Member request.

I think "ghina" could be haram because it could manipulate you, but I think music is more complicated than that.

I could see how music can be makrouh, but not haram. The prophet Youssef series was a religious series that told us the story of youssef in the Quran. If you think the series is a positive input to our society, then you must accept the fact that the series had music in them

Edited by Tarek Chehab