In the Name of God بسم الله

How To Keep A Conversation In Arabic?

Ali-F

• Veteran Member

Salam wb.

I find this difficult.  I know HOW to say the sentences (or most of them), but I don't know what or when I should say something.

This is my problem:

ME: Salam alaykum

Cousin: Wa alaykum al salam.

ME: How are you doing?

Cousin: Alhamdulillah, very good. What about you?

ME: I am very good, alhamdulillah..

SILENCE!

I don't know what I should say or continue by saying. Man, I need help. [iraqi manners would be aproved]

• Veteran Member

Salam

"I missed you wallah" - "I missed you more"

"How is my uncle/aunt" "How are the chabab" "What are their news"...

I feel you, I feel the most difficult thing is to know when you should say the dedicated phrases for example when someone tells you to salute your relative, you should say Allah ysalmak, or this kind of special idioms...

• Advanced Member

Salam habibi same way that you would keep a conversation in English or any language

Ask them what are they doing and how is their work/school, how are things in there area and from their answer you should be able to pick up discussion points that you can latch on and keep the conversation flowing.

• Veteran Member

Salam

"I missed you wallah" - "I missed you more"

"How is my uncle/aunt" "How are the chabab" "What are their news"...

I feel you, I feel the most difficult thing is to know when you should say the dedicated phrases for example when someone tells you to salute your relative, you should say Allah ysalmak, or this kind of special idioms...

yeah, I agree. These idioms is the most important

Salam habibi same way that you would keep a conversation in English or any language

Ask them what are they doing and how is their work/school, how are things in there area and from their answer you should be able to pick up discussion points that you can latch on and keep the conversation flowing.

Excellent points, brother.

Just keep repeating 'hayakum Allah', 'Allah yahfadhkum', 'habibi, 'mawlai', '`ala ra'si', 'shu akhbar?', 'khush' 'keef daras, keef waladaynuk', 'fi khidmatikum'.

This should kill about five minutes, after that just smile  at each other and keep sayiing 'ziyen inta?'.

That's what i have to end up doing sometimes lol :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

Just keep repeating 'hayakum Allah', 'Allah yahfadhkum', 'habibi, 'mawlai', '`ala ra'si', 'shu akhbar?', 'khush' 'keef daras, keef waladaynuk', 'fi khidmatikum'.

This should kill about five minutes, after that just smile  at each other and keep sayiing 'ziyen inta?'.

That's what i have to end up doing sometimes lol :P

Lol :D