Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Guest silasun

Is It Halaal To Use Adblock?

Rate this topic

yes.

it need a clarification. You said yes without asking what kind of site he is using.

Suppose if he is using site like earning site where he is also earning to see ads, and that site is making money due to ads and if he block those ads .. how then site will generate revenue ? and the earning which the site will provide to the worker for nothing. Many sites are generating money with CPM ads and if adblock will get used it will block those CPM adverts and site will face loss.

I guess OP should tell his question in details what kind of site he is visiting and what is the purpose. Then only Yes/No can get answered.

Edited by alirex

it need a clarification. You said yes without asking what kind of site he is using.

Suppose if he is using site like earning site where he is also earning to see ads, and that site is making money due to ads and if he block those ads .. how then site will generate revenue ? and the earning which the site will provide to the worker for nothing. Many sites are generating money with CPM ads and if adblock will get used it will block those CPM adverts and site will face loss.

I guess OP should tell his question in details what kind of site he is visiting and what is the purpose. Then only Yes/No can get answered.

huh? Brother, when someone forcefully puts ads on your internet to unjustly give them money, how is it haram for me to block it? Almost 90% of the time ad's are irreligious anyway, or scams. In fact, it is safer to always block ads due to most of them downloading malware on your computer. Anyway, it is also possible for sites to now not let users go on their site, if they have pop up blockers, therefore it is again up to them.

You need to provide a valid stamped fatwa or Nader Zaveri will be deleting your post lol

What I find funny is, that was the only time he(they) enforced the rule, on me.. I have seen a few times people posting rules without fatwas or sources, and no mod has yet to delete or block the posts, better yet some mods post, giving their own viewpoint without evidence :rolleyes:

Edited by PureEthics

huh? Brother, when someone forcefully puts ads on your internet to unjustly give them money, how is it haram for me to block it? Almost 90% of the time ad's are irreligious anyway, or scams. In fact, it is safer to always block ads due to most of them downloading malware on your computer. Anyway, it is also possible for sites to now not let users go on their site, if they have pop up blockers, therefore it is again up to them.

You not took my point as a technical aspect. The question is technical and it need a technical view to give a proper fatwa. That is the reason still most of the Marja not clearly mention there Forbidden or Permissible system on any Software kind of services. They are putting conditions in most of these kind of fatwa.

Suppose if i am providing knowledge on my forum related to Websites development and related Coding and my earning source is Adverts. Google advert or any CPM advert. How is this fair if someone use my site blocking my source of income .. using my services and not paying me ?

This is our brother website : http://www.ezsoftech.com .. he have sense he put " We are not responsible for the contents of external websites "Ads by Google" but not all are putting this warning.

As per my best knowledge OP should clear his website usage what kind of site he is using.

Neobux is a famous site which earn on basis of get paid to see ads, and they themself are earning as well as giving money to see ads. So if people use adblock there earning will get stop. and i guess it is not justice with them.

Edited by alirex

What I find funny is, that was the only time he(they) enforced the rule, on me.. I have seen a few times people posting rules without fatwas or sources, and no mod has yet to delete or block the posts, better yet some mods post, giving their own viewpoint without evidence :rolleyes:

And if it carries on like this then people will carry on giving their own personal fatwahs with no source to back up what they're saying, people will get the wrong answers. I advise all of those who ask questions on halal and haram to not accept anything without a valid source being given to back up what is being said.

Be careful. Blocking adverts may be against the terms of use for a website. Remember these people make money from the adverts and they may need them to keep the site running.

Thank you , i was mentioning the same. You make my answer more clear.

Be careful. Blocking adverts may be against the terms of use for a website. Remember these people make money from the adverts and they may need them to keep the site running.

Did they not make the site so that we visit it in the first place? Regardless, of ads or not. Plus, how can ads be part of their terms of service? If anything they should just charge people to access their site then.

Did they not make the site so that we visit it in the first place? Regardless, of ads or not. Plus, how can ads be part of their terms of service? If anything they should just charge people to access their site then.

Did people not make products for you to use? But did they not put conditions on their usage? I.e. they asked you to pay for them. You couldn't walk into a shop and use a product without paying. 

If the website owners put a condition that its visitor must not block the adverts, then we need to be careful that we don't give a ruling on a matter which may entail the breaking of a contract.

If anything they should just charge people to access their site then.

Then most people wont even know about the site and the search engines will not pick it up. How would you feel if you dedicated your life to making a website and had no source of income for it?

There is the matter of haraam images - thus I am not giving any ruling at all. I just don't think we should be quick to give rulings either way. Ask someone who knows.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Did people not make products for you to use? But did they not put conditions on their usage? I.e. they asked you to pay for them. You couldn't walk into a shop and use a product without paying. 

Yes, but this is a terrible analogy. This is the internet. There are no conditions that are explicit and absolute (unless it restricts site accessibility or payment for downloading). People dont access sites with their mind on whether or not the site requires the user to keep their ads (unless again, it is enforced). Besides, who the heck reads the terms of service, like really now? The shop example is also terrible, because it is already known for a fact that a shop is not a free for all, take what you want. You go to a shop in order to buy.

If the website owners put a condition that its visitor must not block the adverts, then we need to be careful that we don't give a ruling on a matter which may entail the breaking of a contract.

This is a hypothetical scenario, I am assuming an Islamic website, asks its Muslim visitors? I am speaking in general terms of the internet as a whole.

If people don't know about the contract, then it can become morally binding once they do know.

This is a hypothetical scenario, I am assuming an Islamic website, asks its Muslim visitors? I am speaking in general terms of the internet as a whole.

Muslim websites do have adverts. But with these issues we can't assume that all non-muslim websites have bad adverts.

Brother why don't I email one of the offices of the maraja?

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Its funny that people are so engaged in a discussion whereas the OP has made no mention of any contract and asked a basic general question. Since there are no stipulation provided you are not required to think further into this at all.

Ever heard of Costco? They have plenty of sample bars and you can dip your hands in as many times as you want, free of cost.

Then most people wont even know about the site and the search engines will not pick it up. How would you feel if you dedicated your life to making a website and had no source of income for it?

I would say that you suck as a businessmen to not consider this possibility. Its a cyber world and you should have put measures in place if your income depends on it.

If we are talking about forums then i dont see why i need to contribute to someone income when the real source of knowledge is coming from contributors. Lets say its a photograpy forum and i am the top contributor helping people out then i am basically helping the owner succeed. Why should i be contributing any more by running adverts?  Its a rabbit hole.

Edited by Logic

If we are talking about forums then i dont see why i need to contribute to someone income when the real source of knowledge is coming from contributors. Lets say its a photograpy forum and i am the top contributor helping people out then i am basically helping the owner succeed. Why should i be contributing any more by running adverts?  Its a rabbit hole.

You forgot Domain and Hosting cost and the Promotion of website. These 3 things need money. Why not you contribute your knowledge on some non famous site ?  Shiachat not got famous from day 1 .. Shiachat.com cost $10 atleast every year and Hosting i don't think not less then $60-150 per month. Its a good thing someone is taking care of all the cost. But not all sites are bearing cost for long ... there source of income is Advert and Adblocker is a problem for those site.

If you search Google paid Adblocker u can get news .. google paid good amount of adblocker not to block Google ads by default.

Edited by alirex

Guest silasun

A little point I found on the internet:

"using adblock is no more illegal (in this case we could apply shari' ruling perhaps?) than turning off your TV during commercials". Of course, this is assuming that the owner of the website has "allowed you" to block out their ads.

We shouldn't be discussing if we think using this plugin is haraam- none of us are mujtahids. What we should research is how this program works, our contract with the website on entering, the law of the land with regard to this etc. Then, we should send our questions to our maraji/scholars (e.g. askthealim website) based on what we have found from our research. Then we will be able to see, based upon how we found adblock to work + Islamic laws, whether or not it actually does work.

So, it will be useful for some brs. and sis. to post points about how the site actually works.

ws

Some sites actually tells you to turn off Ad block if you have it but most sites don't, also Adblock does not block the ad, it merely blocks you from seeing it, but the owner of the site still gets the credit for visiting his site.

Guest silasun

Ayatollah KHamenei:

salaamun alaykum
there is a plugin for internet browsers which blocks out adverts on the internet called adblock. Is it deemed permissible to use such a thing, provided that we are not sure if the owner of the website has actually permitted us to block out the adverts?

wasalaam

Unless the owner of the website prevent that, there is no problem in it.

Adblock Plus has a feature where you can enable ads on sites that rely on advertising revenue and you want to see them. A few days ago a relative installed it for my computer then asked me to go to a website that was hard to read, to see if the ads were blocked. Amazing! It showed 16 ads were blocked. I could actually read what was on the page.

Today I went to a "news" site and did not click on anything, just scrolled slowly down the page, reading the headlines, then I scrolled back up to the top of the page. 41 ads were blocked.