Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Who Wrote The Quran Need An Answer From The Shias

Rate this topic

sufi1

• Basic Members

hi i have read somewhere that some shia is saying that quran was compiled by uthaman and its been added i like to know if shia believe that quran is the word of god or not i just need a yes or no answer i dont want long and complicated answers 

so if you think uthman or other sahaba edited there own stuff then the answer is no 

if not then the answer is yes

• Advanced Member

In the name of Allah. Salam.

Welcome to the forum, I hope you like it here.

I know you asked for a short answer but such important issues need to be adressed so that we make no mistake in our judgments about this issue and everything else.

Brother, it is nice that you question what you hear about your brethren in faith. Allah (please see the first verses in the Surah al-Hujurat) and the Prophet (pbuh/hp) order us to not believe in stories about our brothers in faith. Thus, "they believe in this. they do this and that", etc. are not to be believed without searching.

It is possible that they may be lies and being a sufi brother, yourself should know this better. There are a lot of lies out there on both sufis and shias about "grave worship" and other things. Such people either have little understanding of faith, thus they don't know the issues clearly and judge people through their limited views thus they become takfiris and of no faith themselves. Some others have no understanding of brotherhood, sincerity and humbleness. Thus, in order to be praised by the people (and not by God), thus they tend to misinform and denigrate pious Muslims. Their situation is like that of Prophet Joseph's brothers, hasad spoils their heart and mind and they tend to be wolves eating the flesh of their brothers in faith just to get rid of Josephs of our time thus having the attention of the people for themselves only. The last group among the misinformers are just narratives. They tend to narrate whatever they hear. This is the worst of all. Because they disobey this rational and narrational truth that; ("It is enough as a sin for a man to narrate everything he hears."). They are the worst because they don't benefit from these lies worldly either unlike the former two groups who use the lies for their agendas. And the hadiths state this truth; "The worst person on earth is the one who sells his hereafter to get worldly benefits. The one worse than that is the person who sells his hereafter so that others get worldy benefits." Yes, such people narrate the things-lies which have been told by some worldly figures of the ancient and today, without searching whether what is narrated is true or not. Yes, such people are the worst. Because they don't benefit even worldly-lowly from these lies, rather others benefit from it.

In any case, it is nice that you did not believe in what you heard and you came to your brothers to investigate the truth. To abide by what the verses of Surah Hujurat commands. And to see if the statements such as "they believe in this, they do that, etc." are true or not. And mostly they are not true. Here's a hadith narrated from both Imam Ali and Imam Hasan; ""What distance is between the right and the falsehood?" they asked. "Four fingers," the Imam replied. "What you see with your own eye is the right. You may hear a lot of falsehoods with your ear." Yes, the lies were always there. Especially against the most vigilant nation. (Shia Muslims are targeted with lies, especially through the tongues of the bought "scholars", since shias have always questioned political figures of history and today.) I hope this humble suggestion helps in your studies about Islamic denominations. And inshaAllah you continue to be careful about everything you hear. :)

As for your question, shia Muslims (usoulis) don't believe that the Holy Quran is distorted. The Holy Quran is intact.

Yet, the Quranic verse about the protection of the Holy Quran (see, Hijr:5) is not enough for everyone. Because "logically we cannot prove the lack of alteration in Qur’an by Qur’an." Thus, we need other sources to prove that there is no change in the text of the Holy Quran. And reason and narration both tell us that the Holy Quran is intact.

You can study that shia Muslims believe the Holy Quran is not distorted-changed here: http://www.al-islam.org/shiite-encyclopedia-ahlul-bayt-dilp-team/belief-shia-in-completeness-quran/

HOWEVER, if someone who claims to be a sunni, mentions you some shia "hadiths" about the "lack" in the Holy Quran, then you should inform him about the "hadiths" in sunni sources about rajm-stoning "verse" which sunni hadiths mention that a goat ate or the hadith about a surah long like Surah Baraa is missing. So, yes, some "hadiths" in both sunni and shia sources mentions such things, but that does not mean the sunnis and shias believe in them or have to believe in them. Please see the abovementioned link for more info. I know you asked for a short explanation but one needs to know more about what is explained there, as a beginning in the study of Islamic denominations so that he does not fall into the traps of the enemies who cause sectarianism. I hope it helps.

Welcome again. :) ma salam.

• Advanced Member

The compilation of the Holy Qur’an took place in three stages:

1. Arrangement of verses which led to formation of the chapters. This was done during the period of the Holy Prophet (s). It was the Prophet himself who would indicate in which Surahs each verse was to be placed.

2. Collections of the Quran and separate pages (or parchments) and putting them together in the form of a single volume. This was done during during the period of Abu Bakr. 

3. Collection of different copies of the Quran which had been written down by scribes and making them look the same in order to prevent variation in the copies. This was done during the period of Uthman, the third caliph. 

Shiites agree unanimously that the Quran which is available in every Muslim’s house is the same complete Quran and Uthman’s scripture (mushaf) is that which is in our hand; it is free from any alterations or distortions.  Even according to diferent traditions show the consent of Imam Ali (s.a) as he says "If I were in command in place of Uthman, I would have done the same ".

• Advanced Member

The compilation of the Holy Qur’an took place in three stages:

1. Arrangement of verses which led to formation of the chapters. This was done during the period of the Holy Prophet (s). It was the Prophet himself who would indicate in which Surahs each verse was to be placed.

2. Collections of the Quran and separate pages (or parchments) and putting them together in the form of a single volume. This was done during during the period of Abu Bakr. 

3. Collection of different copies of the Quran which had been written down by scribes and making them look the same in order to prevent variation in the copies. This was done during the period of Uthman, the third caliph. 

Shiites agree unanimously that the Quran which is available in every Muslim’s house is the same complete Quran and Uthman’s scripture (mushaf) is that which is in our hand; it is free from any alterations or distortions.  Even according to diferent traditions show the consent of Imam Ali (s.a) as he says "If I were in command in place of Uthman, I would have done the same ".

I personally believe that the holy Qur'an, as seen in our midst today, is as is by the instructions of the holy Prophet (s). Hadith al-Thaqalayn proves that the Qur'an was present during the time of the holy Prophet (s) himself. I have a bit of a struggle accepting Uthman had much of a say in compiling Qur'an - he probably gathered the different copies of the Qur'an to make his own mushaf.

Can you please provide evidence for all the points you've mentioned? Thanks.

• Advanced Member

hi i have read somewhere that some shia is saying that quran was compiled by uthaman and its been added i like to know if shia believe that quran is the word of god or not i just need a yes or no answer i dont want long and complicated answers 

so if you think uthman or other sahaba edited there own stuff then the answer is no 

if not then the answer is yes

Take a look at Sehih Bukhari, volume 6, book 61, narrations 509/510.