Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Say: I AM

Who Was Abu Hamza Al-Thumali?

Rate this topic

YAM

SA

What can anyone tell me about the life story of Abu Hamza al-Thumali?

I read he was a mawla (freed slave) from Kufa. Was he was african, if so where from exactly? I know he served Zayn al-Abideen and Muhammad al-Baqir, but what happened to him after that?

Could you please provide references too. Thanks.

Bismillah.

Salaam.

Abū Hamza Thumālī; Thābit ibn Dīnār (Abī Safya) was the companion of four Imams (p); Imam Sajjād, Imam Bāqir, Imam Sādiq and Imam Kādhim (peace be upon them, all) and he had narrated Ahādīth from them, all. He was one of the outstanding companions of Imams (p) and was authentic and reliable. There is a narration in which Imam Sādiq (p) states: “he is, in his time, as Salmān in his time” (Rijāl Najjāshī, p.115) and Imam Ridhā (p) says: “he was the Luqmān of his time” (Rijāl Najjāshī, p.115). He is so famous that even Sunnis have narrated from him.

He has some works like “Tafsīr-e Qur’an”, “Kitāb al-Navādir”, “Risāla al-Huqāq of Imam Sajjād”, and “Kitāb az-Zuhd”. Also the Dua of dawn which is named as Dua Abū Hamza Thumālī is narrated by him.

With Duas.

Narsis.

Thanks.

So was he black? When I google-translated "al-Thumali" it translated as "residual." I don't speak arabic so I'm wondering if his name says anything about where he came from.

And it is interesting you mention him serving Musa al-Kadhim since I have also read he had served Isma'il al-Mubarak. I guess I'm trying to find out what is authentic and what is not, not that I'm taking any position :rolleyes:

Edited by Say: I AM

Thanks.

So was he black? When I google-translated "al-Thumali" it translated as "residual." I don't speak arabic so I'm wondering if his name says anything about where he came from.

And it is interesting you mention him serving Musa al-Kadhim since I have also read he had served Isma'il al-Mubarak. I guess I'm trying to find out what is authentic and what is not, not that I'm taking any position :rolleyes:

He was Arab from the Azd.

http://www.eslam.de/arab/begriffe_arab/04tha/thabit_ibn_dinar.htm

Edited by Chaotic Muslem