In the Name of God بسم الله

Combined Majlis ( Men And Women)

Rate this topic

UniversalMuslim

• Basic Members

Every year my family hold majlis at the house where all the cousin, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, etc. are invited. My question is can we sit together in majlis together, if so , what is the proper way of doing so?  I hear that as long as the women cover there heads and sit behind the men, its is OK. Please some one guide me to the right answer. 

• Veteran Member

^ As I understand it, it is makruh for a non-mehram man and woman to be alone in a closed room. I just wanted to clarify that.

2454. It is haraam for a man and a woman who are not Mahrams, to be together at a private place where there is no one else, if it is feared to lead to immorality and scandal, even if it is a place where another person can easily arrive. But if there is no fear of any evil, there is no objection.

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2352/

:)

• Advanced Member

(salam)

(bismillah)

I have taken away all posts that the members have issued a religious ruling without quoting a scholar(s) or hadith. We do not have the authority to issue religious rulings, especially in terms of Fiqh (halaal, haraam, etc.). The user has asked a specific question, so we must answer with sources.

This will be happening more often, especially in this part of the forums (Islamic Laws & Jurisprudence).

(salam)

Edited by Nader Zaveri

• Advanced Member

2454. It is haraam for a man and a woman who are not Mahrams, to be together at a private place where there is no one else, if it is feared to lead to immorality and scandal, even if it is a place where another person can easily arrive. But if there is no fear of any evil, there is no objection.

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2352/

:)

I replied to this yesterday, but it was removed, I guess because I added analysis based on opinion.

But my main point was:

The above ruling is only regarding 1-on-1 interaction between a man and a woman... that's why it doesn't say "men and women", it says "a man and a woman" and "at a private place where there is no one else".

If there are a bunch of people, then it's not a case where there is "no one else"... saying "no one else" is confirmation that it's regarding 1-on-1 interaction.  The page the link goes to is also about marriage issues, which are basically 1-on-1 issues by their nature.

I just think the above is worth mentioning for clarity, because some people reading the thread could get the wrong idea. Religious scholars/Alims sometimes give talks to people with ladies seated on one side of the room and men on the other side... but if someone reads the above ruling and thinks it's about large gatherings, they may think something is haram when it's not.

I'm not saying this because I'm real keen about mixed majlises. I'm just saying it because I don't think the above ruling has direct relevancy to UniversalMuslim's question (but I do agree with UniversalMuslim's conclusion, which PureEthics also "liked").  

I saw PureEthics posted the ruling organically based on the flow of the thread, but now with some posts gone, someone surfing onto this page may think the ruling is the answer to the question, although it's kind of about a different issue.  And I also see Nader Zaveri's general point, but I think the above is worth mentioning for clarity in case of people randomly surfing onto this page.

Edited by Bright