Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Laayla

Arbaeen In Huffington Post

Rate this topic

Although I do think it is a nice essay in honor of Imam Hussein AS, I was wincing at some word choices. "There's another peculiar feature of Arbaeen." I don't think we want people to remember Arba'een as being peculiar, which seems somewhat negative to me. Unusual would have been a more neutral word describing the joining together of Muslims and non-Muslims to participate in the Arba'een ritual. I would have used a more positive word like distinctive or special, even stunning.  

All you do is criticize, never any ounce of gratitude or respect.

Well excuse me for having high standards, and not automatically labelling anything produced by a popular speaker as 'amazing'. Objectively speaking, that article was substandard, and the only reason anyone would think otherwise is because it contains a load of stuff they agree with.

I would have used a more positive word like distinctive or special, even stunning.  

That is the magic of language. One thought  can be expressed in a myriad different ways. Mathematics on the other hand is boring. 2 plus 2 is always four. But a language is so lively.  

There's another peculiar feature of Arbaeen. 

A The word "peculiar"  doe not necessarily have negative connotations.  Itt can also be used to denote something unusual but not really in a negative sense.

The meanings in my dictionary are 

• strange, odd, unusual; 
  • uncommon
  • distinctive in nature or character
  • belonging exclusively to some group, person or thing

As a native speaker of English, I did not make my reply until I looked up the definition of the word peculiar, to make sure I was not being over critical about his use of the word. The dictionary I referred to said peculiar means strange, unusual, odd, funny, curious, bizarre, weird, queer, unexpected, unfamiliar, abnormal, atypical, anomalous. All of these words have a negative meaning in English spoken in the US. Perhaps he was using the word peculiar in a British English vernacular. 

If you're going for Arbaeen, I'd love to hear your perspective!

Alhamdulillah I made ziyarat to Iraq earlier on this year, and am now doing a small ethnographic research project as part of my PhD about brothers and sisters who will be there during Arba’een, Insh’Allah. I am really interested in looking at how the situation in Iraq has changed for international zuwwar visitors this year, and also spreading awareness about how important ziyarat is for Shi’as. Once the research is finished I hope to publish it, InshAllah, in an academic journal, because there is not much existing literature on this important part of our Islam. 

To help with this research I am looking for around twenty people to interview (this can either be on the telephone, via email, or video skype with ladies only) who will make ziyarat this year. Ideally I would need to talk to people before they go and also afterwards, for maximum one hour. Participants can be based anywhere in the world, all interview content and quotes that I use in the published paper will be anonymous, and the usual research protocols will be respected. (I usually conduct interviews in English but could ask a research assistant to do one in Urdu, if someone would like to take part in the research but doesn’t speak much English).

A little bit about me: I am a psychotherapist and academic studying at Goldsmiths University, London. I am a British revert sister in my 20s, for the last ten years I have been a Muslim, Alhamdulillah, and in the last few years I have been learning more about Ahul al-Bayt. I made ziyarat to Iraq in May 2014, with the Haj and Umra tour group, from London, and am focusing my current work on promoting knowledge and information of this important part of our Islam, InshAllah!

For more information, and if you have any questions about my research project, please just ask!

With Salaams, and Khuda Hafez

Zaynab

zaynab_researcher@yahoo.co.uk

All you do is criticize, never any ounce of gratitude or respect.

Brother Haydar can argue that all you seem to see is negativity. Please try to optimistic, bro. 

Edited by NaveenHussain

Thanks Huffington Post, for letting this Article to Publish..................

I find one positive side of Daesh attacking Iraq is that, the innocence of Shia and Message of Imam Hussain (as) is spreading very quickly all over now............My Non Muslims colleagues are asking me now,  whether I m Shia or Extremist (referring to Sunni).!