Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
aribasultan

Violent Hadith And Quranic Verses

Rate this topic

Salaam everyone,

I have recently been approached by a non-Muslim (an acquaintence of an acquaintence). This gentleman tried to debate Islam's potrayal as a barbaric and violent belief with me and got quite antagonistic about it. I managed to clear up several misconceptions (I hope) but am now struggling to give an eloquent and strong response to his latest point. Hoping to get some assistance from those who are more well spoken and knowledgable than me :D

He put forward LOADS of verses from the Qur'an as "violent and extreme" - how do I explain this? I understand context plays a big part but can someone please help me draft some form of an answer?

I've listed the verses he's mentioned below. If I copied and pasted his email to me it would take way too long to read.

Quran (8:39, 8:57-60, 8:65-69), Quran (9:5, 14, 20, 29, 30 and 38-41)

Quran (9:73, 88, 111, 123), Quran (17:16), Quran (18:65-81), Quran (18:65-81), Quran (25:52), Quran (33:60-62), Quran (47:3-4), Quran (47:35), Quran (48:17), Quran (48:29), Quran (61:4), Quran (61:10-12), Quran (66:9)

Many thanks in advance to any help offered! I really want to make a strong point here :(

A good place to start would be to read the verses immediately before and after the ones quoted, so you can see how out of context those verses are taken by enemies of Islam. 

Absolutely 

In order to deceive their listeners, critics love to quote verses singly - [9:5] but not [9:6] - [4:89] but not [4:90] and so on.

Quran (9:5, 14, 20, 29, 30 and 38-41) 

The Quran is heavily context-centric and does not lend itself to quick and easy interpretation.  

And very little of the Quran can be understood fully without a full understanding of the asbab-e-nuzool of individual revelations (in other words, what  prompted the revelation  - what exactly was happening on the ground that God needed to send down those verses).

A detailed study of the asbab-e-nuzool of every revelation is clearly not within the scope of this thread, or even this site.

But as brother Hayder has pointed out, try reading the verses before and after to see if you might get a better understanding.

Sura 9 talks about the relationship between the Mushrikeen and Muslims at that point in time and summarises the new approach that Islam intended to take. If you read carefully, you cannot but conclude that the stern approach applies only to the mischievous ones among the Mushrikeen, not to those who were willing to mind their business and no more.   

Verses [9:1-3]  give a warning to the Mushrikeen that they will be given a reprieve of four months,

Next, [9:4] says very clearly that the warning is about some "broken promises".

Now stop for a second and think for yourself.

What does that mean ?

It clearly points to agreements that were in place between the Mushrikeen and Muslims which the Mushrikeen must have violated.

So by the time we come to [9:5], we can safely conclude that it is all about people who have broken their promises  - not about law-abiding citizens.

And when we come to [9:6], we can see the beauty of Islam's extraordinary humanity and sense of justice - if the Mushrikeen ask for security and protection from you, let them have it. 

The fact that [9:5] applies only to the mischievous among the  Mushrikeen is clarified further by [9:7] which says very clearly  -  As long as they are true to you, be true to them.

Apart from related verses, there many other factors that need to be understood for a thorough understanding of the Quran.    

The verses are given below, for  quick reference.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

[9:1] Freedom from obligation (is proclaimed) towards those of the idolaters with whom you have a treaty. 

[9:2] Travel freely in the land for four months, and know that you cannot escape God and that God will confound the non-believers (in His Guidance).

[9:3] And a proclamation from God and His messenger to all men on the day of the Greater Pilgrimage that God is free from obligation to the idolaters, and (so is) His messenger. So, if you repent, it will be better for you; otherwise, be aware that you cannot escape God. Give tidings (O Muhammad) of a painful doom to those who disbelieve.

[9:4] Except those of the idolaters with whom you (Muslims) have a treaty in force, and who have not breached their obligations or supported anyone against you. (As for these), fulfil your agreement with them till its term. Indeed, God loves those who keep their duty (unto Him).

[9:5] Then when the sacred months have passed, slay the idolaters wherever you find them, and take them (captive), and besiege them, and lie in wait for them (wherever possible). But if they repent and establish worship and pay the poor-due, let them go their way. Indeed, God is Forgiving, Merciful.

[9:6] And if anyone of the idolaters seeks your protection (O Muhammad), let him have it so that he may hear the Word of God, and afterward convey him to his place of safety. That is because they are a folk who know not.

[9:7] How can idolaters have a covenant with God and His messenger except those with whom you made an agreement at the Sacred Mosque ? As long as they are true to you, be true to them. God loves the pious.  

Edited by baqar

Many thanks in advance to any help offered! I really want to make a strong point here :(

But I think there are many verses in your list which need no explanation.

They just cannot be classified as "violent" even remotely.

For example, what is wrong with [17:16] ?

[17:16] And when we willed to destroy a city, to its affluent ones did we address our bidding; but when they acted criminally therein, just was its doom, and we destroyed it with an utter destruction.

I don't see a problem there at all.

The verse says very clearly that criminals will be destroyed.

Does your friend have a problem with the destruction of criminals?  

Study each verse carefully along with the verses before and after.

In the case of this verse [17:16], it is quite self-explanatory. 

He put forward LOADS of verses from the Qur'an as "violent and extreme" - how do I explain this? I understand context plays a big part but can someone please help me draft some form of an answer?

(bismillah)

"Did not Allah check one set of people by means of another, there would surely have been pulled down monasteries, churches, synagogues, and mosques, in which the name of Allah is commemorated in abundant measure. Allah will certainly aid those who aid his (cause);- for verily Allah is full of Strength, Exalted in Might, (able to enforce His Will). (They are) those who, if We establish them in the land, establish regular prayer and give regular charity, enjoin the right and forbid wrong: with Allah rests the end (and decision) of (all) affairs."

(22:38-41)

Islam is a complete way of life, It has laws regarding Defense/War[unlike other creeds/religions]. This distinction is used against us to undermine Islam. Other brother/sister have provided direct responses above, here is some basic generic info, to set the groundwork for your response.

Click Here: Difference between Islam and Christianity

Peace is not Submission

The Muslims in Mecca

Unconditional verses about Jihad

Conditional Verses

Religion is a matter of heart and mind. You can’t force people to believe or convert[illogical]

No Compulsion in Religion

«If it had been thy Lord's will, they would all have believed,- all who are on earth! wilt thou then compel mankind, against their will, to believe! » (10:99)

"«It may be thou frettest thy soul with grief, that they do not become Believers.» (26: 3)

« If (such) were Our Will, We could send down to them from the sky a Sign, to which they would bend their necks in humility. » (26:4)

Edited by S.M.H.A.

Well, I put forward a response using everyone's advice best I could. Turns out it was enough to make him turn tail and run. I guess he wasn't expecting me to actually have an answer much less one as lengthy as his five page post to me :D Jazakhallah Khairun brothers and sisters, you rule!

Quran (8:39, 8:57-60, 8:65-69), Quran (9:5, 14, 20, 29, 30 and 38-41)

Quran (9:73, 88, 111, 123), Quran (17:16), Quran (18:65-81), Quran (18:65-81), Quran (25:52), Quran (33:60-62), Quran (47:3-4), Quran (47:35), Quran (48:17), Quran (48:29), Quran (61:4), Quran (61:10-12), Quran (66:9)

Bismillah.

Salaam.

I only answer the first four examples you have mentioned, due to the limitation of my time, and I will answer the rest as soon as I can, Insha’Allah;

8:39: it is narrated from Imam Sadiq that this verse is pointing to the time of Imam al-Hujjah (aj) and those who are going to stop him from his mission.

8:57-60: these verses are talking about the worst beings, i.e. Jews who had security contract with the Prophet (p) but they broke it several times, but the Prophet (p) despite of that contract, tolerated them till the verse revealed and ordered him to break them down strongly in order to take security back to Muslims and to warn other Kuffar about doing such actions.

8:65-69: these verses indicate some tips for Mu'minin who are supposed to defend their society and faith against Kuffar and those tips are indeed some professional tips for wars and those have nothing to do with violence.

9:5: Islam came to invite people to monotheism, so Shirk had to be eradicated from the earth and this is why such orders took place only in that time in which the Prophet (p) was present and that order did not include other religions like Christianity and Judaism and Zoroastrianism and etc. and it just include polytheism not generally but in some some cases and some polytheists and such order in fact showed that there is no respect for such a dangerous beliefs.

With Duas.

Narsis.

Bismillah.

Salaam again.

9:14: the verse is talking about Mu'minin who were strongly under pressure and tortured by Mushrikin and there was no other way than fighting those cruel people.

9:20: I don't realize how can someone understands violence form this verse; the verse is talking about those who are ready to fight for the sake of Allah (s), it means when it is necessary not always. If you attack your house, you only watch him in order to be not accused to violence?????

With Duas.

Narsis.