Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
BowDownToAllah

Minimum Of Prayer For Person With Down Syndrome

Rate this topic

Salams,

my brother has down syndrome and has a learning disability. 

he therefore finds it hard to learn and recite the whole of salah.

I was just wondering, is there any way you can shorten the prayer or say different things but would still keep it validated? 

Salams,

my brother has down syndrome and has a learning disability. 

he therefore finds it hard to learn and recite the whole of salah.

I was just wondering, is there any way you can shorten the prayer or say different things but would still keep it validated? 

No person is obligated to more than they are capable.  He should just do his best.  His best will be accepted.  A good option might be for him to pray "in congregation" with you or another family member, then he can just follow along, doesn't have to memorize all the words and actions.

If he is able to read, he can print out this sheet:  http://www.al-islam.org/nutshell/files/prayers.pdf and read it.  You should try to teach him the differences between the different prayers, but this is an easy start.

Let him keep reciting the shortest surah in the Quran after Al-Fatiha for all his prayers. Basically all he has to remember is surah Al-fatiha and a short surah. Just keep repeating it until he gets better at it. Practice makes perfect. 

Salam,

He can read surat al kwather after reading al fatiha,it's short. Whatever small thing he does will be accepted inshallah,dont put to much pressure on him. Get him to repeat the words after you,and say the salah in a loud (not overly loud) voice,so he can hear you and he can remmber the words.

If he has a problem he will not get punished for not being able to remmber or to stay still while praying.

Ruku - put hands on knees and say Subhaana rabbiy al-`azeemi wa bihamdih

(Glory be to my Lord, the Great, and praise belongs to Him)

Sujud - put forehead on turbah and say Subhaana rabbiy al-a`laa wa bihamdih

(Glory be to my Exalted Lord, and praise belongs to Him)

When he is doing Ruku and Sujud, if he cannot remember those Arabic phrases, he can shorten it to just say SubhanAllah SubhanAllah SubhanAllah.

Don't ask your brother if he prayed already, because he might just say yes to make you happy. Smile and tell him it is time to pray and ask him to pray with you, because even if he prayed by himself already it will be good for him to pray with you. Prayer is a ritual that needs to be done every day. If your brother does not do it every day, he might get out of the habit and begin to forget what he already knows. It is my understanding that two people praying together will get more reward than if they pray separately. 

If someone has Alzheimer's Disease or a brain tumor and cannot remember the words to pray anymore, Allah SWT is not going to punish them for not praying. Allah SWT knows your brother's limitations from Down Syndrome, so please don't worry about the validity of his prayer.

Just a thought. If you are not at home and he needs to pray, he could turn on an audio tape or video of someone praying, and pray while listening to it. This might also help him to remember all the words by listening every time.