Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
.InshAllah.

Why Shia Are More Reliable Narrators

Rate this topic

Reflections from someone who hasn't thought or read about Ilm alRijal for a long time...

When it comes to narrating from the Prophet, a Shia doesn't seem any more reliable than the Sunni.  If I have reason to believe that a Sunni is reliable, and the same reason to believe that a Shia is reliable, then any narrations these two narrate would be of equal weight in terms of reliability. 

Not so when it comes to narrating from Ahlul Bayt.  If the same Shia narrates a hadith that contradicts one from the same Sunni, the Shia hadith ought to be accepted over the Sunni hadith.  This is for two related reasons:

1.  The Shia believes that knowingly attributing a falsehood to Ahlul Bayt is akin to attributing a falsehood to the Prophet.  In other words, it is a grave crime.  The Sunni doesn't believe this.  For him the Ahlul bayt are just pious people, and whilst it is haraam to lie about them, it's not the same as lying about the Prophet.

2.  For the same reason, the Shia would be more careful when narrating from the Ahlul bayt compared to the Sunni.  Therefore, the Shia would be less likely to make honest mistakes when narrating from them.  He would take more care to remember and narrate as reliably as possible because he doesn't want to attribute a false utterance to the representatives of God on Earth.

One conclusion to be drawn from the above is that Shia narrators are more trustworthy when it comes to narrating from the Ahlul Bayt, as their Aqeedah acts as a kind of barrier that helps prevent the attribution of falsehoods.  This is a conclusion that both Shia and Sunnis ought to draw.

This would make sense only if Ahlebayt were claiming to be divinely appointed Imams. If they were as Sunnis calimed, than to be a Shia narrator, you would have to be a liar one who lies about their claim to Imamae, unless you are not narrating from them directly. If Imams are not as Imamis say, then all the hadiths about their divine appointment would be fabrications. If those are fabrications, what else can be expected to be fabrications.  The narrators in this case do not care if Imams taught something, they simply want to be followed in their name and are willing to make up anything.

Therefore this argument entirely relies on the notion that Imams claimed Imammate, and applies to Shias, while it wouldn't really apply to Sunnis.

I'm starting with the premise that the narrator (sunni or shia) is reliable.  So reliability and truthfulness has been established.  (Plenty of Shia/Rafida are acknowledged to be reliable by different Sunni scholars).  I am saying once you have these reliable Shia narrators, the additional fact of their belief about whom they're narrating from should give us more reason to trust them, over and above the Sunnis.

Edited by .InshAllah.

I think that's a problem with Sunni Rijal then, if they trust Imammis who narrate from 12 Imams. Wouldn't it be if they were Imami and Imams weren't divinely appointed Imams, they could of easily asked the Imams if they were divinely appointed? If they were narrating from them and held that belief wrong, why should Sunnis trust them?

Edited by StrugglingForTheLight

Good point but a Sunni reading this wouldn't simply get it. The whole idea is concept of Imams being infallible.

Sunni sources are just too corrupt anyway. Their hadith books were written way after Prophet's departure from this world (just like Christian Bible) were are most Shia ahadith were confirmed by succeeding Imam. 

Hi,

I [kindly] advise you to read 4 books.

1) Mashra`at bihar al-anwar (Sheikh Asif Muhsini -may Allah guide him-);

2) Ma`rifat al-hadith (Sheikh al-Bahboodi -may Allah guide him-);

3) Buhut fi `ilm rijal (Sheikh Asif Muhsini);

4) It is not a book, but you can watch the videos of Kamal al-Haydari. The title of the videos is: 
تعارض الادلة
These videos are awesome. 

You can also read: the preface of Sahih al-Kafi (By Sheikh al-Bahboodi); the tahqiq of Man la yahduruhu (
By Sheikh al-Bahboodi). If you want to read his tahqiq of Bihar al-Anwar, why not. But it's not the most important.

I think I'll translate the book of Sheikh Asif al-Muhsini -
may Allah guide him-.

Take care.

Sincerely,

Edited by Ibn Abi Shayba