Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

The Tradition Of Kissing The Skirt

HamzaTR

• Advanced Member

Salam.

I see in some Iranian movies that boys kiss the chador-veil or skirt of their mothers out of respect and gratitude. Here's an example from the movie Del Shekasteh, (where the young man kisses the veil of her mother when she agrees to ask the hand of his beloved):

2ecf6f4.gif

Or sometimes I can see, in the movies, the man kissing the chador of his beloved-wife.

The former looks respectful and the latter is romantic.

In any case, my question is that what is it called in Farsi. And is it just the Iranian culture or is it widespread in other societies as well? Can you tell a bit about it? Thanks.

Edited by HamzaTR

• Veteran Member

Probably just a movie thing

Iranian movies cannot depict physical contact between man and woman, so instead of showing the guy kissing his mother's hands or feet, they show them kiss the chador.

It's actually a long tradition that goes back the middle ages. If you read some of the literature written in Anatolia in the 13th-14th century, it's mentioned. My best guess is that it's probably an old turkomen thing.