Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

Should Muslims Teach Their Kids Art?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVwbeQjafuA

Any artistic Muslims in the house ? 

Muslim Artists say I!

Aren't we so.... 
under rated .... 

Like if you agree ^_^

I was given a few questions 
to ponder over by a fellow hijabi artist, 
writer! sister Na'ima B Robert-

Do You Agree?

Anything To Add?

I'm studying Illustration at the moment. Coming from the Middle East to Europe there is A LOT of difference in what is taught. Nudity (anatomy) is mandatory unless of religious reasons (which I explained and thank Allah they accepted to excuse me out of classes). And there seems to be A LOT of sexuality in nearly all of the things they teach. I don't know if it's the perverted mentalities or simply art in the west.

I don't know exactly what is meant by "teach art". Every child is innately an artist, and some keep this talent into adulthood and develop the skills to do amazing things with it. Does "teach art" mean view art? Does it mean to encourage creativity? Or does it mean to take formal classes and study the styles and lives of past masters?

I don't know exactly what is meant by "teach art". Every child is innately an artist, and some keep this talent into adulthood and develop the skills to do amazing things with it. Does "teach art" mean view art? Does it mean to encourage creativity? Or does it mean to take formal classes and study the styles and lives of past masters?

To teach them the skills.

ShiaChat has a topic that you might be interested in. Islamic Art Thread:

I think one of the greater tragedies that has befallen the Muslim world in general is the decline of much of its traditional arts.

However, I think in the Shi'a world, thanks to private and public museums in Iran, there has been something of a revival. I think in the West, Shi'a Muslims should put more effort into learning the classical arts and I also believe that people coming back from Iran and other parts of the Shi'a world should make an effort to bring prints of religious artwork here. It not only helps breathe spiritual life into the community, but it can also be useful for propagation. For example, Qajari-era style coffeehouse paintings of the Battle of Karbala and other religious scenes would definitely find an appreciation among Catholics and Orthodox in the United States and help in creating a familiar atmosphere to facilitate dialogue.

It also wouldn't hurt to explore art trends in the West and have more serious discussion on how they may be adapted, particularly when it comes to graphic design, graffiti art and calligraphy.

Edited by Saintly_Jinn23

Of course Muslim families should indulge in Art. I grew up with Art all around me and started drawing at a young tender age. Both my parents are artist and I too am pursuing a career in Art. Currently working in a Game Development Studio as a Concept Artist. My work/art is one of the great blessing from Allah. I get up everyday with an eagerness to get to work i.e. paint characters, aliens, monsters, create universes, etc. In brief Art is a great essential element of life and must be injected in ones life!

Regarding Nudity in Art, I think its soley on ones intention. Understand that nude models/references help in understanding and practicing anatomy. 

You guys can check some of my mother work at- https://www.facebook.com/SalvaRasoolArt

I wish I can share some of my latest work, but as I am under a contract from my studio that does not permit me to show any current work(till game release) I cannot do the same. But you guys can check out my Linkedin Profile at- 

Art is still very much alive in the Islamic world, without even needing to resort to drawing living beings.  Look at the incredible designs of some of the mosques being built around the world, esp in Iran and the Emirates or the new forms of calligraphy that are being developed.

As for calligraphy not being as popular amongst the youth as a few generations ago, this is a casualty of an ever increasing computerized world.

Of course Muslim families should indulge in Art. I grew up with Art all around me and started drawing at a young tender age. Both my parents are artist and I too am pursuing a career in Art. Currently working in a Game Development Studio as a Concept Artist. My work/art is one of the great blessing from Allah. I get up everyday with an eagerness to get to work i.e. paint characters, aliens, monsters, create universes, etc. In brief Art is a great essential element of life and must be injected in ones life!

Regarding Nudity in Art, I think its soley on ones intention. Understand that nude models/references help in understanding and practicing anatomy. 

You guys can check some of my mother work at- https://www.facebook.com/SalvaRasoolArt

I wish I can share some of my latest work, but as I am under a contract from my studio that does not permit me to show any current work(till game release) I cannot do the same. But you guys can check out my Linkedin Profile at- 

Salam,

I follow the Islamic Art Magazine page on Facebook and I think I saw an article about your mother's work. The pieces are great. Nice environment you must have been brought up in.

Salam,

I follow the Islamic Art Magazine page on Facebook and I think I saw an article about your mother's work. The pieces are great. Nice environment you must have been brought up in.

Oh that great. Dint know her work got featured in it. I am blessed with a healthy upbringing in which my folks understand what I intend to puruse. That being said making a career in Art is not an easy task whatsoever. At times I feel its as competitive and challenging as Medicine or Engineering in which one has to constantly practice to become better, more like aiming to become a top class Basketball player.