Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
sunrise_786

Iddah And Divorce

Rate this topic

Salam all,

I have heard everyone talk about marriage and divorce but less about iddah, What are the conditions of iddah of that of a divorcee and a widow? 

what do they have to do?

I have heard just brief conditions from sunnis saying:

She can't dress up

she can't go out for pleasure purposes, only if she needs to

She (of course) can't marry and receive proposals

are these the same in Shia fiqh? Does anyone know of anything else?

thanks

As I understand it, she can live her life normally.  She can't marry.  If a good man proposes to her during her iddah, she must tell him to wait but there is no rule against thinking about the proposal.  A widow's iddah is 4 menstrual cycles, a divorcee's iddah is 3 cycles, and a wife whose mutah has ended has an iddah of 2 menstrual cycles.

But what I'm unsure of is how long a wife is to observe iddah if she hasn't had contact with her husband in some years, for example in the case of a husband working overseas, then he communicates to his wife that he has divorced her.  Is she still obligated to wait 3 cycles?  The safe answer is to go ahead and wait, but the real answer would depend on the purpose of the iddah, which, as I understand it, is to establish paternity if the woman is pregnant.  (Infertile women are not required to observe any iddah at all.)

There is no restriction on her clothing or comings and goings, as far as I've read.

As I understand it, she can live her life normally.  She can't marry.  If a good man proposes to her during her iddah, she must tell him to wait but there is no rule against thinking about the proposal.  A widow's iddah is 4 menstrual cycles, a divorcee's iddah is 3 cycles, and a wife whose mutah has ended has an iddah of 2 menstrual cycles.

But what I'm unsure of is how long a wife is to observe iddah if she hasn't had contact with her husband in some years, for example in the case of a husband working overseas, then he communicates to his wife that he has divorced her.  Is she still obligated to wait 3 cycles?  The safe answer is to go ahead and wait, but the real answer would depend on the purpose of the iddah, which, as I understand it, is to establish paternity if the woman is pregnant.  (Infertile women are not required to observe any iddah at all.)

There is no restriction on her clothing or comings and goings, as far as I've read.

Very interesting, Thanks for that sis. As far as I know with regards to iddah, is even if she has no contact with him for a number of years but has had physical contact at any point, she must observe three cycles of iddah. That is it, there must be more to iddah than just the reason to establish pregnancy. Allah has wisdom in everything. 

I just read on fatwa on Ayatullah Seestani's ruling that it is haraam for a women to wear bright clothes, surma or adornment (in DIVORCE OF A WIDOW). It doesn't however mention anything for a general divorce except the three months wait and the fact that she can't marry during this time...

I just read on fatwa on Ayatullah Seestani's ruling that it is haraam for a women to wear bright clothes, surma or adornment (in DIVORCE OF A WIDOW). It doesn't however mention anything for a general divorce except the three months wait and the fact that she can't marry during this time...

Thank you, I didn't know that.  

Infertile women are not required to observe Iddah?

Does this mean Idda is only for knowing whether someone is pregnant or is there more to it?

As 786repenting posted, there must be more to it than paternity since a woman must observe iddah even if she has had no recent contact with her husband, but a woman who does not menstruate (for any reason other than pregnancy) has no iddah, per Ayt. Sistani.

A widow would have just become a widow, it is a time of mourning for her so which is why I think she isn't allowed to look like she is going to a party.

Thank you, I didn't know that.  

As 786repenting posted, there must be more to it than paternity since a woman must observe iddah even if she has had no recent contact with her husband, but a woman who does not menstruate (for any reason other than pregnancy) has no iddah, per Ayt. Sistani.

The women who is fertile must still observe Idda just in case even if she hasn't seen her husband in years, because she can be planted by any man even if he isn't her husband, so if it is revealed that a women is not pregnant when she finishes her Idda, it leaves no room for any rumours or accusations and it leaves the former husband with a peaceful mind, however if it is revealed that she had not contacted her husband in years but she still becomes pregnant then this can only mean she committed Zina, then the baby will belong to the man responsible and the baby's illegitimacy will be known and this is helpful because there are some work from which illegitimate children are banned from.

I sort of lost what I was thinking in the above paragraph.

However I also believe there is more to this then meets the eye. Could observing Idda be a form of cleansing for the women's body? Cleansing the presence of the former husband and preventing any development of diseases or psychological harm? Also could it be a break for the women in Iddah from her former husband and it gives her time to let go of the emotional bonds built during their married life, and hence she will be more ready to accept another man after her Iddah?

Share your thoughts please, this is a wonderful learning opportunity, I was and am ignorant on Idd'a.

Edited by SF Taha

^^ Ignorant? That is such a fantastic reply!! I think what makes it difficult is for one to even fathom the concept of being planted by another :blush: etc so such reasons do not come into mind. As for the emotional/psychological aspects, I totally agree. Allah knows everything including the various situations a person can be in. He knows what is good for us and what isn't so naturally he has takes all of our needs into consideration as well as determining pregnancy and the fact that this time is also for possible reconciliation. People often forget that this is also another reason for iddah..