Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
irakiya_shi3iya

Who Is Allah

Rate this topic

Salam alikoum all,

I basically want to know who Allah is, I want as much information as possible. I have heard that in order to know yourself you must know your Lord, to get closer to Him you have to know Him. I know that we cannot see him, or anything as such but we know Him by his attributes. I feel like this is going to be a leap in my faith so any information books articles hadiths from our Ahlulbayt will be all very welcomed by me and greatly appreciated.

May Allah reward you

Ws

There is a book entitled, "Who is Allah" by Salmah Umm Zainab, that I use to teach  younger members of my family about Allah.It's pretty basic, but the author  does an exceptional job on explaining. I will use excerpts from her book.

"Everything needs other things to help it exist. Humans and animals need food to eat, water to drink, and air to breathe. Plants need soil and water and sun. Nothing can create itself. Nothing can exist by itself. So HOW did everything begin? Can something come out of nothing by itself? Where did all this come from?

Say: Allah glorified and exalted is He. Only Allah has the power to begin everything. Only Allah has the power to end everything. Only Allah has the power to control everything. Only Allah cannot be measured. Only Allah has no beginning and no end! Only Allah needs nothing. Because everything in the whole universe begins and ends and has limits and needs, we know that it had to come from a SOURCE, beyond the universe that has no beginning, no end, no limits, and no needs." 

Salam alikoum all,
I basically want to know who Allah is, I want as much information as possible. I have heard that in order to know yourself you must know your Lord, to get closer to Him you have to know Him. I know that we cannot see him, or anything as such but we know Him by his attributes. I feel like this is going to be a leap in my faith so any information books articles hadiths from our Ahlulbayt will be all very welcomed by me and greatly appreciated.
May Allah reward you

Ws

Salam

Ya 'Ali

Humbly and with utmost respect:

Why not look to the Qur'an?

“It is God Who placed the sea at your service, that ships may run therein by His command, and that you may seek of His bounty – perhaps you will render thanks. And He placed at your service what is in the heavens and the earth – all of it from Him. In this are signs for a people who reflect. [45:13]” 

“Have they not observed the sky above them and how We erected it and decked it out, how free of cracks it is? And the earth, how We spread it out and placed in it towering mountains, and caused it to sprout forth of every lovely species? An eye-opener is this, and a remembrance to every servant turning to God in repentance. [50:8]”

“From the sky We sent down blessed water, wherewith We caused gardens to flower and grains for the harvest, soaring palm trees bearing serried clusters – sustenance to mankind. [50:11]” 

“And the sky We built in strength, and surely We can do so. The earth We spread out – blessed are They Who levelled it! From every species We created a pair, that you may ponder and reflect. [51:49]” 

“He it is Who made water descend from the sky, of which some is for you to drink and some for trees from which you eat. With it He causes vegetation to sprout for your benefit: olives, palms and vines, and all types of fruit. In this is a sign for a people who reflect. [16:11]” 

“Your God is One God. [16:22]” 

Don't you see God is you and me, along with everything around us? Not that any one thing is God but it is God altogether. When using language we brake all of it down into specific things that we label, and none of these is God of course. How do you think golden calves are made? 

“Have you considered him who takes his own caprice as his god? [45:23]

“To God belongs the East and the West. Wherever you turn, there is the face of God.” 

“All things shall pass away, except His face.” 

“Know that there is no god but God. [47:19]” 

So the next time you feel the wind against you, feel God breathe.  

The next time you feel the sun against you, feel God love. 

And the next time you meet people, meet God's Faces; 

So will you then have mercy and compassion?

Salam alikoum all,

May Allah reward you.  

Ws

(Bismillah)

(Salam)

The hadith you have in mind goes like this:  Man arafa nafsahu waqad arafa rabbahu (He who knows his "true Self", knows His Lord).

But this won't help a beginner learning about Irfan.   There is another  hadith which works better for beginners like us:  Man arafa nafsahu tajarrud.  (He who knows his true Self, disengages himself from his false self).  In other words, one should strip his lower false self away (by detaching himself from desires and wants) in order to recognize his true Self (which is nothing but a realization of his nothingness in the face of God's Being).  One can only know God by understanding his own need and nothingness.  This is called spiritual "faqr" or poverty.  And this is why Muhammad (S) said faqru fakhri (poverty is my pride). 

Ma'salama

Ethereal

Salam alikoum all,

May Allah reward you

Ws

You have to meditate on the vision you have with him and how your soul and attributes are linked to the source.  You are constantly valuing something, but what is source of value? God is the All-Value. Once you understand everything you value is a manifestation of God, you know yourself are a gift from God and the value he put in you and earned by you, is a favor from God.

The favor in Suratal Fatiha refers to the favor on Ahlebayt. Think about Ahlebayt, they are blessed all the time. In Salah, we bless them. What are they being blessed with, and how blessed is God in comparison?

Blessed is the Name of God.

The living face of God remains after creation get's destroyed because it's nothing but the divine connecting himself through himself.

Ahlebayt are that face of God. And that face of God gives light to all things.

Kitab al-Tawheed by Shaykh Sadooq.

I highly recommend this book. It has vast information about Allah (SWT), His Beautiful Names, meanings and tafseer of some Holy Quran verses such as Bismillah Al Rahmaan Al Rahiim, and lots more. If I remember correctly you can get English version from Ansariyan Publications.

(bismillah)

(Salam)

The hadith you have in mind goes like this:  Man arafa nafsahu waqad arafa rabbahu (He who knows his "true Self", knows His Lord).

But this won't help a beginner learning about Irfan.   There is another  hadith which works better for beginners like us:  Man arafa nafsahu tajarrud.  (He who knows his true Self, disengages himself from his false self).  In other words, one should strip his lower false self away (by detaching himself from desires and wants) in order to recognize his true Self (which is nothing but a realization of his nothingness in the face of God's Being).  One can only know God by understanding his own need and nothingness.  This is called spiritual "faqr" or poverty.  And this is why Muhammad (S) said faqru fakhri (poverty is my pride). 

Ma'salama

Ethereal

Indeed, it is said that within each one of us there is a divine spark, the essence of Allah, the spark that if we recognise and meditate on it will connect us to Allah and as Isa said, The father in me, I in you and you in me are one. You can experience Allah personally through this connection.

Allah will then reveal himself to you directly and give you guidance.

I highly recommend this book. It has vast information about Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì, His Beautiful Names, meanings and tafseer of some Holy Quran verses such as Bismillah Al Rahmaan Al Rahiim, and lots more. If I remember correctly you can get English version from Ansariyan Publications.

Thank you for the recommendation, I actually purchased it straight away, but its slightly difficult to read because its different from the other books I usually read. The annotations are at the end of the chapter which I have to keep flicking constantly back and forth to understand one small part.

Thank you for the recommendation, I actually purchased it straight away, but its slightly difficult to read because its different from the other books I usually read. The annotations are at the end of the chapter which I have to keep flicking constantly back and forth to understand one small part.

Who wrote the annotations?

its just the commentary or notes at the end of each chapter. 

If it is a translation, then it could be one which is a bit difficult to read. The one by Sayyid Rizvi seems easier than the one by Ali Adam. Although I have not read much of the latter.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

(salam)

Alhamdulilallah that you got the book. In my version of this book I don't have any annotations written at the end of the chapter but instead annotations are written at the end of each page if there are some. Only on rare occasion I have to go to the next page to check annotations. But those annotations are good to read, one of my favorite annotations that were there was when Imam Ja'far As-Sadiq (AS) told the beautiful example of how dog show's tawhiid example by obeying always his/her master.

As salam.The simple way is You need to know yourself, how to know yourself? You need to compare yourself with other creations. What makes you different. The comparison must be done in all aspects. Later, compare you now with your old self after you know what differentiates you with other creations. After you did all this, read nahjul balagha.

Salam alikoum all,

May Allah reward you

Ws

Salam Alaykom va Rahmatollah

According to your question, plz consider two points for knowing of Allah:

1. we have tradition that someone who knows himself, he will know Allah. it means if you want to know God, try to know yourself that who you are? where did u come? what is your destination? who is your creator and so on.

2. There are many books related to theology written by famous scholars like Motahari, but at first clarify in which topic you are searching and after that ask your question. Now your question is so general.

God bless you and hell all of us.

The truth is that nobody knows. It's a perennial question that theologians have been speculating over and over, but never agree. No matter how rational they claim to be, their whole ideas are premised on religious dogmas.

So who is Allah, The God? He is a mystery.

the human mind can understand things and imagine it by the help of their limits, how long their lneghth . width, how much they weight , etc

you calssify things, soild, planet, animal, etc.. .. this is how your brain works...the limits define things for you

but Allah has no limits and cannot be measured , and uncategorized, this why it is impossible for you to understand what he is. he is unlike anything you CAN IMAGINE

your imaginary power is limited..Allah is beyond place and time, he is the who created them...سبحانه وتعالى

But yet you still able to see him , to know him by his presence ..in deep mind and heart... by reasoning everything to him.

قال الامام الحسين عليه السلام

عميت عين لا تراك