Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
baradar_jackson

Where Do You Wish You Were From?

Rate this topic

If you could choose any place in the world -- any city, province, region, or country -- where would you choose to hail from?

I have a few choices.

Lorestan

Beautiful, rugged landscape, too-cool-for-reality lifestyle, awesome hats. Whether it is truth or fantasy, I associate Lorestan with a sort of primordial Iran. I imagine Lors as being born along with a baby horse and a small baby sword. The only innovation or advancement of the past thousand years that has affected these people in any way, is the invention of gunpowder. They have such regal indolence to the outside world and its changes. And that crazy thing they speak; supposedly it's Farsi but I can't understand them for the life of me. And it's so awesome. There are two Lor stereotypes: (1) that they are dumb, and (2) that they are violent and confrontational. I fit both of these criteria, but alas, I am not a Lor. But I am very jealous of Lors for all of these reasons. I wish I could be one of them.

Torkustan

By which I mean any part of Iran where most of the people are Turks (or "Azeris"). Why? Firstly, I like their hats. Secondly, they are all built like wrestlers. I am not exactly what you would call skinny... but my face is probably the size of the average Turk's kneecap. And they get this build just by birthright?? What an injustice. They have some epic nature. I would have two languages BUILT-IN. Farsi and Azeri. BAM. And I could speak Azeri in Tehran and tick everyone off because they won't know if I'm talking c.rap about them or not. Rahbar speaks my language, too. Take that, chauvinists. And I can get bussed into Tehran every time Teraktorsazi goes there to play one of their stupid teams and throw rocks at all those wimpy effeminate Persians. That's the high life.

Kordestan

By which I mean not just Kordestan province but anywhere in Iran where the Kurdish population is the majority. I love me some Kurds. They have some epic pants. They are also probably born with some kind of goat-whispering ability, since all they probably do in the day (other than fight wars) is yodel to goats up in them mountains. Speaking of mountains, they have some pretty sweet landscapes. They have not just two but THREE built-in languages if they are close enough to the Iraqi border (Farsi, Kurdish, Arabic).

Overall, if I had to choose one, I would say Lorestan. Even though it has the least practical utility (in terms of language, in particular), it is the most romantic option.

That's all for me. Where would YOU rather be from instead of the lame, uninteresting place you actually are from?

Edited by baradar_jackson

Good lord :cry:

I'm glad I have a sort of hydrophobia; I don't snorkel, or go boating, or even swim.

I just need these things and I can live any part of world

Good INTERNET connection

good house

close to nature

car/bike

good food

good cloths

thats all :D

Pampered urbanism you mean.

Good lord :cry:

I'm glad I have a sort of hydrophobia; I don't snorkel, or go boating, or even swim.

Yeah, i don't have that, but I do have Galeophobia(fear of sharks). These pretty tropical places kind of loses it's point if you can't enjoy the water though. 

Yeah, i don't have that, but I do have Galeophobia(fear of sharks). These pretty tropical places kind of loses it's point if you can't enjoy the water though. 

Nature, the environment, the feeling - I have developed my own way of enjoying tropical clime with its bodies of water. I can sit on the shore, or walk along the rocks, and meditate for hours.

Baradar where are you from then? The three places you listed comprise like half of Iran lol.

I always thought Kurds were the most tall and built in Iran. Kurds and Armenians produce a lot of athletes for Iran.

One thing distinctive about Kurds in Iran is that they usually have a cleft chin.

Edited by ChattingwithShias

If I am to remain what I am, then what does it matter whatever allegedly lame or kewl place I "hail from".

That said, I would love to live in North Cyprus. Such a sweet place. Whatever little population it has, or rather used to have when I lived there, were all excellent people. Then it has all manner of natural beauties not found elsewhere. Its in the Mediterranean. Its got everything that uncle Darth needs.

Marked for the honeymoon. Thanks for the idea.

You are getting married? 0f873d16c82b9ab4bdfd16a93b38182a.gif  i have to make the horderves.

Stay in shallow part, you might get your toes nibbled a bit is all.

Is that really a phobia? I'd say that's a pretty rational, normal fear. 

Agreed, unless like me you avoided swimming pools as a child also, just in case a door opened up in the side and let sharks in while i was in there (that was like a Jaws/Thunderball trauma)

Baradar where are you from then? The three places you listed comprise like half of Iran lol.

I always thought Kurds were the most tall and built in Iran. Kurds and Armenians produce a lot of athletes for Iran.

One thing distinctive about Kurds in Iran is that they usually have a cleft chin.

I'm from Tehran by way of Yazd.

Yazd is a pretty cool place. I love how old it is and the fact that the lifestyle and aesthetic has probably changed very little in the past thousand, two thousand or even three thousand years! But what I dislike is the wimpiness of Yazdis. Their accent is effeminate (although this depends on who speaks it; some can make it sound good), and they are skinny in comparison to the mountain folk I mentioned in the first post.

I don't understand it. You would think a desert people would be a bit more raw. Compare Yazdis to southern Iraqis, for example. Both are desert folk, but the latter are far more raw and harsh.

The desert is beautiful, don't get me wrong. And Yazd itself has a beautiful simplicity. And Yazdis have many good characteristics; they are warm, they are traditional, they are funny, etc... But I can't distance myself from the romance of these mountain folk.

Re: Kurds

My conspiracy theory is that Torks and Kords are actually the same people. And their language is the same, too. Don't tell anyone, or I might blow the lid off their whole operation.

I forgot to add another group of people I wish I belonged to:

Afghans/Tajiks/Turkamans/all those funny-talking people over there

Between the Russian and Iranian film industries, Central Asians have approximately ten trillion movies devoted to showing them and their lifestyle. This could not have happened if they weren't pretty cool dudes. Tajiks' language is no different from ours, but they write in Cyrillic. How cool is that? And Turkamans speak the same language as the Turks in our north-west. They have some pretty epic faces, too. It's a shame their political situation is so terrible (especially Afghans), but I love the rawness of their culture. And the combination of the cold desert and lofty mountains makes for a landscape which is at the same time treacherous and beautiful.

Yeah it must be pretty cool to be from those places.

^ I heard that Tajiki/Persian is easy language to learn? Every Tajik I know says that it is much easier than most other languages (and they say it is same language as Irani speak except they use Arabic alphabet which I can also read in addition to Cryllic). Is it true?

^ I heard that Tajiki/Persian is easy language to learn? Every Tajik I know says that it is much easier than most other languages (and they say it is same language as Irani speak except they use Arabic alphabet which I can also read in addition to Cryllic). Is it true?

Yeah it's the same exact language. Tajiks speak Farsi but they write in Cyrillic rather than the Kufic/Arabic script like we do.

Yeah it's the same exact language. Tajiks speak Farsi but they write in Cyrillic rather than the Kufic/Arabic script like we do.

Tajik Farsi in Cyrillic sounds like Ayatullah al-Udhma in jeans and wife-beater - like those Pakis who know better how to right Urdu in Roman script than in Arabic script.

Edited by Marbles

I don't actually wish I were from anywhere.  If I were from anywhere else, I'd have been born to different parents and raised under different circumstances, therefore I wouldn't be me to wish to have been from somewhere else.  

But it would be pretty cool to be able to tell people that I'm from another planet.  

If there was a website where I could type in the temperature I like and the amenities offered in the area, I would definitely look into relocating. :)

I wish I could "terraform" my current vicinity of residence, terraforming as in what they plan to do to make uninhabitable planets like Mars habitable for humans. So if I surround my house with a lot of trees like Eucalyptus, utilizing its shade for summers or its green house effect in winters I may be able to snip off a tad bit of extreme temperatures? May be that is possible? Along with insulation of the house it could make life easier. I'll still be confined albeit to a larger area than now which is limited to air conditioned rooms and vehicles in summer.

Perhaps relocate after all to a hill station. Cool climates, high altitude. Somewhere out of this province too, to avoid the politicians from hell and their oppression as I go. Or may be just wait a bit longer because real life is with Allah in truth and we're all headed there any way.

I am very glad to be where I am from and the reason probably for such gladness is bc of the sophisticated old classy culture mix of Turk Irani imperial class. But now that I see it going towards western culture.

I do wish I was from yazd directly.

I am very glad to be where I am from and the reason probably for such gladness is bc of the sophisticated old classy culture mix of Turk Irani imperial class. But now that I see it going towards western culture.

I do wish I was from yazd directly.

Yazd has a lot of positives.

- People are very religious and steadfast to tradition

- There is a lot of warmth and a lack of individualism among the people

- The architecture is friggin old and most of it has not been updated (which means we are essentially looking at a thousands-year old city)

- Although excessive electric street lighting blocks out the night sky, if you go far enough into the desert you will see the most beautiful night sky in the world

- In fact, Yazd is a time machine. Everything is old, not just the architecture

But the bad sides:

- Yazdis are weak in physical stature

- We don't have our own language but instead a stupid accent (but to be fair a lot of Yazdi words have no equivalent in any other language and yet have such versatile uses, like: khonok, saar, nagira, etc...)

- Unlike most major Iranian cities, Yazd does not feature four climates. Just two: a long summer and a short but formidable winter.

- They don't use human fertilizer anymore; friggin Australia is adopting this system and yet Yazd has abandoned it in the name of modernity and advancement; it was a great system given the climate

- Yazdis are not known for their prowess in battle (see: physical weakness)

Too bad that Pyongyang is the center of most insane dictatorship I have ever of. :(

Please educate yourself before making such cliched comments. Here is a start: http://www.amazon.com/North-Korea-Another-Bruce-Cumings/dp/156584940X

If you don't feel like reading a book: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/MID-01-211113.html