Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Prayers Not Accepted For 40 Days?

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

(salam)
(bismillah)

There are certain major sins that has to be done in order for your Salah not to be accepted for 40 days. For example, here is a recent post I made where I took out our hadith regarding drinking a sip of alcohol can make your prayers not be accepted for 40 days.

عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنِ ابْنِ أَبِي عُمَيْرٍ عَنْ عَبْدِ الرَّحْمَنِ بْنِ الْحَجَّاجِ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ مَنْ شَرِبَ الْخَمْرَ لَمْ يَقْبَلِ اللَّهُ لَهُ صَلَاةً أَرْبَعِينَ يَوْماً
From `Abd al-Rahman b. al-Hajjaj from Abi `Abd Allah  (as) said: "Whoever drink alcohol, Allah will not accept his prayers for forty days"

Source:

al-Kulayni, al-Kafi, vol. 6, pg. 401, hadith # 4

Grading:

al-Majlisi said this hadith is Hasan (Good)

--> Mir'at al-`Uqool, vol. 22, pg. 257

أَبُو عَلِيٍّ الْأَشْعَرِيُّ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ عَبْدِ الْجَبَّارِ عَنْ صَفْوَانَ عَنِ الْعَلَاءِ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ مُسْلِمٍ عَنْ أَحَدِهِمَا ع قَالَ مَنْ شَرِبَ مِنَ الْخَمْرِ شَرْبَةً لَمْ يَقْبَلِ اللَّهُ مِنْهُ صَلَاةً أَرْبَعِينَ يَوْماً 
From one of them  (as) said, "Whoever drinks from the alcohol a sip, Allah will not accept from his Salah for forty days"

Source:

al-Kulayni, al-Kafi, vol. 6, pg. 401, hadith # 5

Grading:

al-Majlisi said this hadith is Sahih (Authentic)

--> Mir'at al-`Uqool, vol. 22, pg. 257

عَلِيٌّ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنِ النَّضْرِ بْنِ سُوَيْدٍ عَنْ هِشَامِ بْنِ سَالِمٍ عَنْ سُلَيْمَانَ بْنِ خَالِدٍ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ مَنْ شَرِبَ شَرْبَةً مِنْ خَمْرٍ لَمْ يَقْبَلِ اللَّهُ مِنْهُ صَلَاتَهُ أَرْبَعِينَ يَوْماً 
From Sulayman b. Khalid from Abi `Abd Allah  (as) said: "Whoever drinks a sip of alcohol, Allah will not accept from his Salah for forty days"
Source:

al-Kulayni, al-Kafi, vol. 6, pg. 401-402, hadith # 11

Grading:

al-Majlisi said this hadith is Hasan (Good)

--> Mir'at al-`Uqool, vol. 22, pg. 258

One again, these are only a few sins, not your minor sins.

(salam)

Edited by Nader Zaveri

The veils will increase if you eat something haraam, even if you didnt know it was haraam, and thus affect your spirituality.

br please provide a source for this info. 

I would have though that sinning and commiting bad deeds, or having bad ethical qualities etc. affects spirituality. But you aren't committing a haram by eating non zabiha if you follow the proper means of identifying what is zabiha according to Islamic laws, so how would this affect spirituality? 

This is just something that popped up when I read this- i.e. a slight doubt- I certainly am not. Though I would be very greatful to you if someone can provide a source, but I am cautious when approaching such things which don't immediately provide a reference.

JazakAllah khair.

• Advanced Member

br please provide a source for this info. 

I would have though that sinning and commiting bad deeds, or having bad ethical qualities etc. affects spirituality. But you aren't committing a haram by eating non zabiha if you follow the proper means of identifying what is zabiha according to Islamic laws, so how would this affect spirituality? 

This is just something that popped up when I read this- i.e. a slight doubt- I certainly am not. Though I would be very greatful to you if someone can provide a source, but I am cautious when approaching such things which don't immediately provide a reference.

JazakAllah khair.

If you follow the proper means of identifying what is zabiha, then you shouldnt end up eating non zabiha. Even if you consume food out of limit, it will increase the veils and affect your spirituality, let alone something which is haraam. Saying "It happened by mistake", will not undo the effect. When in doubt, its better to leave it. And Allah knows best.

One other thing. Its not a sin if it happened by mistake, but its better to avoid it if there is doubt. However, doubting too much is not good.

Edited by race

What I meant to mention was about when a person goes through all legitimate means to work out their food is zabiha, but it isn't. I was looking for a reference as to how consuming such 'non-zabiha' (which you have eaten through 'halal' means- i.e. obeying laws of Islam etc. in obtaining it) would affect spirituality- this is what I was questioning. Unless, I got the wrong end of the stick, brother- in that you weren't referring to what I gathered from ur post- if so, I apologise, and maybe it might be a bit better if it could be edited or something of the sort, to maybe make it a bit clearer? Unless it's all my fault, and I need new glasses :D

Ws br.

• Advanced Member

I heard this in a speech by one scholar by Maulana Ali Raza Rizvi. If I remember correctly, he gave an example of a glass of alcohol. If a person drank it, not knowing it was alcohol, there is no sin but it will affect the persons spirituality. Dont take my words for the scholar. It was a long time ago I heard him, so dont remember it fully.

However if you go through all legitimate means to make sure the food is Zaibha, but it turns out it isnt as you are saying, then definitely it is not a sin, but sinning and increase in veils are not always related. For example, you might be committing no sin, but you might still be increasing the veils. That is why those who reach a high status, will find even minor things affecting there spirituality. Once non-zabihah is in your stomach, it will affect the person. But if you go through all legitimate means to make sure the food is Zabiha, and it turns out to be non Zabiah, then the person has either made a mistake or they were deceived by someone. 

A momin must be carefull in these matters and a momin aims for perfection and never gets bitten twice.

If I do find a hadith or any guideline from a leader, then I will post it here.

Ws

Edited by race
  • Advanced Member

I heard this in a speech by one scholar by Maulana Ali Raza Rizvi. If I remember correctly, he gave an example of a glass of alcohol. If a person drank it, not knowing it was alcohol, there is no sin but it will affect the persons spirituality. Dont take my words for the scholar. It was a long time ago I heard him, so dont remember it fully.

Yes, similarly I heard in a speech that eating or drinking haram unknowingly still affects one spiritually. The analogy the speaker gave was that if you eat something poisoned, without knowing that it is poisoned, it will still harm you physically. The effect of of haram on the soul is a similar matter. However, I think that if you are actively and consciously trying to avoid haram, Allah swt will aid you in your struggle.