Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
coolguyjoe

Imamat In The Quran

Rate this topic

Of course not; but all Sunni scholars have been invited many times to discuss regarding these issues by Shia Maraji' but they never accept. Even some Maraji' invited them to Qom and they are ready to be their host, but they never accept.

I know the main arguments for Shiism and I find them unconvincing.

Let's take 4:59 for example. It's actually a proof against Shiism in my view. Why? Well let's think about it.

The Messenger has authority because obeying him is obeying God. What then about people who the Messenger commands to obey? They likewise will have authority, because obeying them is obeying the Messenger. 

The thing is every state will have to appointed people under the top authority. The Imams too had their representatives. 

The only argument is that what if they command us to disobey God. For that, they have to be infallible. But why is this the case? Why is it not the case when they command outside their jurisdiction, they lose authority and are no longer authorities?

As the verse mentions those in authority, it would also have to mean if Shias are right that there are no authorities beside the Imams. But we see representatives of Imams as authorities, appointed people under Imam Ali would have authority etc.

The other thing is another verse says people ought have referred matters of fear and safety back to the Messenger and Those in Authority from them and talked it about it past tense.

All this makes the case the Ulil-Amr cannot be only the 12 Imams. The hadiths of 12vers however are all unanimous that these verses were revealed for the 12 Imams.

But logic shows it's not.

Let's take 4:59 for example. It's actually a proof against Shiism in my view. Why? Well let's think about it.

The Messenger has authority because obeying him is obeying God. What then about people who the Messenger commands to obey? They likewise will have authority, because obeying them is obeying the Messenger. 

The thing is every state will have to appointed people under the top authority. The Imams too had their representatives. 

The only argument is that what if they command us to disobey God. For that, they have to be infallible. But why is this the case? Why is it not the case when they command outside their jurisdiction, they lose authority and are no longer authorities?

As the verse mentions those in authority, it would also have to mean if Shias are right that there are no authorities beside the Imams. But we see representatives of Imams as authorities, appointed people under Imam Ali would have authority etc.

The other thing is another verse says people ought have referred matters of fear and safety back to the Messenger and Those in Authority from them and talked it about it past tense.

All this makes the case the Ulil-Amr cannot be only the 12 Imams. The hadiths of 12vers however are all unanimous that these verses were revealed for the 12 Imams.

Regarding the first verse, there is a long discussion proving Uli-l-Amr are Ma'soumin in al-Mizan, vol.4.

The second verse, please give me the reference of that.

Regarding the first verse, there is a long discussion proving Uli-l-Amr are Ma'soumin in al-Mizan, vol.4.

I've read the long discussion. It doesn't take account to what I said. It provides a false dichotomy.

The 2nd verse is the following:

وَإِذَا جَاءَهُمْ أَمْرٌ مِنَ الْأَمْنِ أَوِ الْخَوْفِ أَذَاعُوا بِهِ ۖ وَلَوْ رَدُّوهُ إِلَى الرَّسُولِ وَإِلَىٰ أُولِي الْأَمْرِ مِنْهُمْ لَعَلِمَهُ الَّذِينَ يَسْتَنْبِطُونَهُ مِنْهُمْ ۗ وَلَوْلَا فَضْلُ اللَّهِ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَتُهُ لَاتَّبَعْتُمُ الشَّيْطَانَ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا {83}

[shakir 4:83] And when there comes to them news of security or fear they spread it abroad; and if they had referred it to the Messenger and to those in authority among them, those among them who can search out the knowledge of it would have known it, and were it not for the grace of Allah upon you and His mercy, you would have certainly followed the Shaitan save a few

Okay i had to say this:

When i read about the shia argument for imamate in Quran, it sounds like christians who put argument that Jesus was God.

There was no clear mention that Ali(R ) and the rest of them were Imams. Sure in Baqarah, i thinks its said that Ibrahim(A) was appointed as imam. But there is no clear mention of the 12 (or more) Imams. Likewise christians say that Jesus was god, yet he did not declare that once. What is the point of making things like these ambiguous to us?

Just my 2 cents. Feel free to hack away at it.

SHAHDA (Testament of Faith)

ASH-HADO AN LA ILAHA ILLALLAH
(I bear witness that there is no God But Allah)

WAHDAHOO LA SHAREEKA LAH
(The one, Who has no Partner)

WA ASH-HADO ANNA MUHAMMADUN ABDOHOO WA RASOOLULLAH
(and I bear witness that Muhammad is His Slave and Messenger.

ASH-HADO AN ALIYUN WALEEULLAH, WASI-O-RASOOLILAH

(I bear witness that Ali is the friend of Allah, rightful executor of the Will of the Prophet)

Edited by S.M.H.A.

Nothing of material to add. This question is/was the same question I had b4 folding Shiism.

The links given by Narsis are same information I gather during my journey but they do not answer the question posed.

My position is same as bro StrugglingForTheLight. Arguments by other posters are tangentially off from topic.

I have exposed to many Shia exegesis, and the common adage forwarded by exegetes like Tabatabai is that exegesis of the Quran is by the Quran.

Somehow this exegetical technique comes short when it comes to topic of Imamate.

Another quzzical knot is that if the Imams are higher than the prophets prior to Muhammad (pbuh&hf) (and rightly they must possess higher position in knowledge to lead given Quran is final word) then why we ask, their names are not mentioned like Isa, Musa, Ibrahim, Ilyas etc.

Lastly, not related to Quran per se, another knot, why was that Imam Ali (as) did not kungfu kick Abu Bakr & Umar, given the Truth was with him (as). Similarly, I wonder why Imam Askari (as) had to spend so many years in prison and died young .... I donno ... watever ... I want to stick with the Shias till I die, nonetheless ... tired of these knots whirling in my minds ...

When I think about being Shia vs being Sunni, I don't think about "arguments for Shiism". Instead, I try to answer one simple question:

Who is the successor of Prophet Mohammad peace be upon him and his family? Imam Ali (a.s) or Abu Bakr and Umar?

To answer this question, you don't have to look at Quran. You can, but you don't have to.

If you asked me this question, I would not use Quran, I would not bring "arguments for Shiism".

I would use history! I would ask "who killed the daughter of the Prophet Mohammad peace be upon him and his family?" and "Where is Her (s.a) grave?".

That's my argument, and that's certainly enough for me.

"And remember that Abraham was tried by his Lord with certain commands, which he fulfilled: He said: "I will make thee an Imam to the Nations." He pleaded: "And also (Imams) from my offspring!" He answered: "But My Promise is not within the reach of evil-doers"

(Qur'an 2:124)

Some Basic Information:

“The revealed form of the religion started with the advent of Adam and passed through a continuous chain of divine vicegerency and the intermittent appearance of Prophets, reached its perfection and assumed its final form of Islam in the manner revealed to the last Prophet of Allah, Muhammad (peace be on him and his household) as the universal religion approved by Allah for mankind throughout the world and ages. The revelation period for the preaching of Islam in its final form to mankind comprised 23 years of the Holy Prophet’s ministry. During this period the revelational aspect of the religion of Allah ( Islam) was completed in the forms of:

Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã the recitative miraculous Word and Book of God, the Qur’an and

( the sayings, deeds and endorsement of the Holy Prophet.

Both the Qur’an and the life of the Holy Prophet, as the Qur’an asserts, ought to be taken as the inseparable and equally revealed parts of the constitution of Islam. But for explaining and expounding the implications of these two constitutional sources and their application to the various aspects of human life and to make the new converts, with all their divergent outlooks to grasp Islam, the said period of 23 years was not sufficiently long. The new period of consolidation began after the demise of the Holy Prophet.

It took nearly 250 years to systemize the Islamic constitution with details which form the basis of the development of Islamic thought embracing all aspects of human life. It resulted in the various schools of thought in theology, ethics, philosophy, history, mathematics and the physical sciences.

During this long period there was to be a supreme authority, Imamat, of the chosen persons of the Ahl al-Bayt (in other words Ale-Ibrahim) to insure the continuity of divine guidance along with the Qur’an. According to the Qur’an and the Holy Prophet the goal was to protect the purity of the universal message of Islam by disallowing any profane element to creep into it.

(2:124) Holy Qur’an

This divinely chosen form of Imamat (leadership) was not designed after any monarchical pattern. It was purely apostolic in nature. That was the reason why their number was divinely fixed and foretold by the Holy Prophet and many other Prophets who preceded him as ‘Twelve’, neither more or less.

This divine lead which began with ‘Ali, the first Holy Imam, continued for almost 250 years till the requisite constitutional consolidation was completed, the Twelfth Imam (the promised Mahdi, whose name is the same as that of the Holy Prophet) though alive, disappeared from the sight of man, and in the light of the Qur’an, a new era of ijtihad (rationalization of revelation) followed to give complete opportunity to the believers to acquaint themselves with the revealed and divinely detailed constitution and use their reason, with knowledge and utmost piety and righteousness, to bring forth the implications of the constitution and apply their findings to the ever-changing, increasing and expanding aspects of human life.

This was to give full freedom to every believer, irrespective of color, social and geographical distinction, to develop his faculties on the basis of the Islamic constitution towards the achievement of the Islamic ideals and values. During this period, every believer, as declared by the Imams”(naib Imam)”, who qualifies himself in the prescribed knowledge and piety, is entitled to act as the supreme authority of his time. Under certain conditions mentioned in detail under the topic ‘ijtihad and Taqlid’(Vide chapter ‘Occulation”).

This era of ijtihad will continue till the time when individualism, nationalism and all other isms, tendencies and interests give way to the sense of the human race, the globe, and the whole solar system as small parts of the greater whole. Then time will be ripe for the reappearance of the last link in the chain of the divinely chosen guides, the ‘Twelfth Imam’. Not as an exponent of the constitution and teacher of Islam, but as the final Islamic executor, establishing universal justice on earth.

The vital issue of the Qur’an and the Ahl al-Bayt as two inseparable parts of the constitution has been fully established above. Thus doubting the genuineness of the one leads to the denial of the divine authority of the other. Ibn Hajar Mecci (author of Al-Sawaiq) confirms it as the main reason why the Holy Prophet has dealt with the above mentioned two issues jointly in his ‘Declaration’ and ‘Sermon at Ghadir-e-Khum’ and on various subsequent occasions. Actually ‘Umar’s pronouncement ‘Hasbuna Kitaballah’[sufficient is for us the Book of God] was a denial of the Holy Prophet’s repeated declaration of the joint authority of the Qur’an and the Ahl al-Bayt. Such is the brief outline of the apostolic stand, as confirmed by the explicit wordings of the Qur’an and the sayings of the Holy Prophet.”

Page:41

Essence of the Holy Qur’an

Ayatullah Pooya

"And as for Ishmael, I have heard thee; Behold, I have blessed him and will make Him fruitful, and I will multiply him exceedingly, TWELVE PRINCES shall he beget and I will make him a great nation"

Genesis 18:20 (Bible:Old Testament)

Also if you read the Sahah's of the Muslim and Bukhari you will find hadiths of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (p.b.u.h.a.h.p) referring to Twelve Imams.

"Under the promised or the covenant which the Lord establish with Abraham and his seed, Abraham was endowed with the Divine Light of guidance (imamat)(see 2:124 H.Q)and to Abraham and Ishmael, was given the land now called Mecca and the country surrounding it, in which Abraham was first a stranger(Genesis 17-7,8 old testament), and which since its being inhabited by Abraham and his seed Ishmael(Genesis 17:7), had been uninterruptedly possessed by the descendants of Ishmael or his followers, to remain with them for ever.

The Divine Light endowed in Abraham was bifurcated and passed into the two channels of the seed of Abraham viz., Ishmael and Isaac. Through Isaac, it passed on till Jesus, and through Ishmael it descended down to Abdul Muttalib, and from Abdul Muttalib it was again bifurcated into two channels, Abdullah and Abu Talib, and again it was bifurcated into two channels of the seed of Ali and Fatima into Hasan and Husain, Hasan Destined to be the second Holy Imam and Husain to be the Third one and also the King of Martyrs. From Husain, it passed on to the Nine Holy Imams in his seed until the Twelfth or the Last one in the line of the Imamat i.e, Muhammad-al-Mahdi, who is kept alive to re-appear before the end of the world.

As Jesus the last one in the seed of Abraham through Isaac is kept alive, this Holy Imam, the last one in the seed of Abraham through Ishmael, is also kept alive, and both these two manifestations of the Divine Light endowed in the seed of Abraham will meet before the end of the world, to fulfill the divine plan of cleaning the earth of falsehood once for all, and establish peace and harmony on it, in the place of aggression, iniquity, enmity and hatred which will be ruling the earth prior to their Final advent, and this will be the conclusion of the world"(1)

"When said thy Lord unto the angels, Verily, I am appointing a Khalifa (a Vicegerent) in the earth"

2:30

"Verily I know what ye know not"

2:30

(1)It is important to understand 'Khalifatullah' or the Vicegerent of Allah(s.w.t), is appointed by Allah (s.w.t) himself.

(2)The personal qualities of the 'Khalifatullah' are inconceivable by, or unknown even to the angels.

(3)The personal excellence of the 'Khalifatullah' is known only to Allah (s.w.t). and Allah(s.w.t) does not deem even the angels as fit to bear the knowledge of it, hence Allah(s.w.t) did not give it out to them. The Angels were only told what Allah(s.w.t) knoweth about His 'Khalifa' even they knew not.

(4)The Term 'Khalifa' suggests that the one appointed is to rule the kingdom of Allah(s.w.t) on behalf of Allah(s.w.t). i.e, Allah(s.w.t)'s Wills.

(5)A 'Khalifa' is he who is vested with all the powers and the authority of Him whom he represents. Thus the 'Khalifatullah' will be endowed with all the powers and the authority over the Kingdom of Allah(s.w.t). All creation of the Lord will be under the 'Khalifatullah' and the 'Khalifatullah' being under the absolute submission to the Lord.

(6) The Holy Qur'an gives out another factor for our guidance that a 'Khalifa' or the Vicegerent of Allah(s.w.t), is given the store of knowledge necessary for the office, by Allah(s.w.t) Himself. Adam(a.s) was given knowledge by Allah(s.w.t) Himself and the angles were asked to give out what was taught to Adam(a.s), which they failed to do.

If you read (2:31-32), It means that what was taught to Adam(a.s) was not taught to the Angles.

(7)As the vicegerency will proceed further, according to the evolutionary progress of the human intellect with which the Vicegerent of the age and of the place will have to deal, so will the Lord, naturally gift His Vicegerent with higher intellect and an increased store of knowledge.

(8) When it is will of the Lord to send to mankind His Last or the Chief Vicegerent, (33:40), the Vicegerent now sent, will naturally and necessarily be endowed with Knowledge in its fullness-and such a Vicegerent alone will have the right and courage to say:'I am the City of Knowledge'. And only such a Vicegerent will naturally be nearest one to the Lord(53:9) and His dearest one. Being the nearest one, he would not speak or act but what the Lord reveals to him and only about such a Deputy of His, the Lord declared:-

"Nor does he (The Holy Prophet Muhammad(p.b.u.h.a.h.p) speaketh of his own inclination"

It IS NAUGHT BUT A REVELATION REVEALED.

(53:3)

(9) If the first 'Khalifa' or the Vicegerent of Allah (S.W.T), WAS SUPERIOR TO THE ANGELS, iN HIS PERSONAL EXCELLENCE AS TO ENTITLE TO THE 'SIJDAH' OR THE PROSTRATION OF THE ANGELS(20:116)

THE LAST OR THE CHIEF OF THE APOSTLES WILL NATURALLY BE OF A SUPERIOR-MOST EXCELLENCE. HIS PURITY PHYSICAL AND SPiRITUAL, WILL BE MATCHLESSLY DIVINE AMONG THE CREATION AS A WHOLE.

NATURALLY SUCH A SUPER-FINE PERSONALITY CAN NEVER BE SUCCEEDED BUT BY THOSE OF THE SAME PURITY. REFERRING TO THE PURITY OF THE LAST APOSTLE AND THE PEOPLE OF HIS HOLY HOUSE, THE AHLUL-BAIT Allah(S.W.T) HAS DECLARED:-

"Allah only willeth that He keepeth away uncleanliness from you, O'Ahlul-Bait, and PURIFY YOU A THOROUGH PURIFICATION."

(33:33)

"That (this) is indeed a noble Qur'an, In a Book kept hidden, which none TOUCHET SAVE THE PURIFIED"

(LVI:77-79)

"Nay these are clear communications in the breasts of those who are GRANTED KNOWLEDGE."

(24:49)

"So ask the followers of the REMINDER if you do not know"

(16:43)

(1)

Page:27 & 94.

Husain

The Saviour of Islam

By:S.V.Mir Ahmed Ali

http://www.almizan.org/

http://quran.al-islam.org/

Utilize the above to get detailed commentary on all the Verses used to properly understand the Basic information needed to understand the Concept of Divine Imamat.

______________________________________________________________________________-

Few Lectures on the topic 

by Sheikh Usama Al Atar

http://ahlulbayt.tv/ondemand/lectures/Sheikh+Usama+Al+Atar/

Did Prophet Mohammad(Pbuhahp) appoint anyone after him?

http://ahlulbayt.tv/ondemand/episode/h281x4nb/Did_Prophet_Mohammad_Pbuh_Appoint_Anyone_After_Him/

Edited by S.M.H.A.

Imran is the name of Abu Taleb, but is there evidence that the Imran in this verse is addressing him and not the prophet Imran ?

While I was doing my morning tasbih today I thought of another reason why this verse would only be referring to Abu Taleb, not Abu Musa or Abu Maryam. The rest of the verse is chronological.

Adam > Noah > Aale Ibrahim > Aale Imran.

Noah is a descendant of Adam. Ibrahim is a descendant of Noah. Therefore, Aale Imran must come after Aale Ibrahim. If Imran is Abu Musa or Abu Maryam then the order of the verse would be broken because Mohammed would be Aale Ibrahim but not Aale Imran. Therefore, Aale Imran must come after Mohammed.

Does this make sense?

I've read the long discussion. It doesn't take account to what I said. It provides a false dichotomy.

The 2nd verse is the following:

وَإِذَا جَاءَهُمْ أَمْرٌ مِنَ الْأَمْنِ أَوِ الْخَوْفِ أَذَاعُوا بِهِ ۖ وَلَوْ رَدُّوهُ إِلَى الرَّسُولِ وَإِلَىٰ أُولِي الْأَمْرِ مِنْهُمْ لَعَلِمَهُ الَّذِينَ يَسْتَنْبِطُونَهُ مِنْهُمْ ۗ وَلَوْلَا فَضْلُ اللَّهِ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَتُهُ لَاتَّبَعْتُمُ الشَّيْطَانَ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا {83}

[shakir 4:83] And when there comes to them news of security or fear they spread it abroad; and if they had referred it to the Messenger and to those in authority among them, those among them who can search out the knowledge of it would have known it, and were it not for the grace of Allah upon you and His mercy, you would have certainly followed the Shaitan save a few

Brother! What is the problem/question/criticizing of this verse?

Brother! What is the problem/question/criticizing of this verse?

Imamate was manifested to the people on the day of ghadeer per Shia view. This means the Ulil-Amr were not known as Ali, Hassan and Hussain at this point. What makes sense is that it referred to the authorities under Rasool (Ali probably included) that were to be referred back to in these public matters. This specially taking account how young Hassan and Hussain would be at the revelation of this verse.  

Imamate was manifested to the people on the day of ghadeer per Shia view. This means the Ulil-Amr were not known as Ali, Hassan and Hussain at this point. What makes sense is that it referred to the authorities under Rasool (Ali probably included) that were to be referred back to in these public matters. This specially taking account how young Hassan and Hussain would be at the revelation of this verse.  

When the verse (4:59) was revealed, Jabir asked the Prophet (PBUH&HF): "We know Allah and the Prophet, but who are those vested with authority whose obedience has been conjoined to that of Allah and yourself?" 

The Prophet (PBUH&HF) said: "They are my Caliphs and the Imams of Muslims after me.  The first of them is Ali; then al-Hasan; then al-Husain; then Ali son of al-Husain; then Muhammad son of Ali who has been mentioned 'al-Baqir' in the Torah (the old testament).  O Jabir! You will meet him. When you see him, convey my greetings to him.  He will be succeeded by his son, Ja'far al-Sadiq (the Truthful); then Musa son of Ja'far; then Ali son of Musa; then Muhammad son of Ali; then Ali son of Muhammad; then al-Hasan son of Ali. He will be followed by his son whose name and nick name will be the same as mine. He will be Proof of Allah (Hujjatullah) on the earth, and the one spared by Allah (Baqiyyatullah) to maintain the cause of faith among mankind. He shall conquer the whole world from the east to the west. So long will he remain hidden from the eyes of his followers and friends that the belief in his leadership will remain only in those hearts which have been tested by Allah for faith." 

Jabir said: "O Messenger of Allah! Will his followers benefit from his seclusion?" The Prophet said: "Yes! by Him who sent me with prophethood! They will be guided by his light, and benefit from his leadership during his seclusion, just as people benefit from the sun even though it is hidden in the clouds. O Jabir! This is from the hidden secrets of Allah and the treasured knowledge of Allah. So guard it except from the people who deserve to know." (Kifayatul Athar, by al-Khazzaz, p53). 

Many traditions are found in our books for it. We take the words of the prophet with paramount importance above all the thinking of fallibles like me.

Regards
Edited by skamran110

Assalam Alaykum

a Few things

firstly, why does Allah never explicitely talk in the Quran about the wilayat of Imam Ali (as)? It's always implied or hidden in verses with different percieved meanings. Why did Allah never reveal a verse which straight up said "Ali is the next Imam"?

Second, In Surah Azhab Aya 33, Allah speaks of the Ahlulbayt at the end of the Aya. In the ayat, Allah was talking about the Wives of the prophet. He also said he WANTS to purify the ahlulbayt through an extensive purification. Can't I say that this Aya proves that the ahlul bayt is the wives of the prophet? We say the AhlulBayt are Masoom, why would Allah want to purify them if they're already clean? Why wouldn't Allah say this (we wish to purify you) outside of the aya which already talks about the wife?Why does he suddenly change the topic of th Aya and speak about the Ahlul Bayt?

It seems a bit like we shia stretch the ayas of the Quran to fit our own purposes regarding the Ahlul Bayt

If you wish to answer, answer only with the Quran please, please refrain from using hadith in your replies. NONE! I only want quranic answers.

sa

there is no explicit verse in the Holy Quran regarding the number of  rakats of the daily wajib prayers .....how do we then get the number ?

thereis also no specific verse regarding many such actions that we perform .... thn ????

the answer is that the Holy Quran has made refrences towards each and everything and the Holy Prophet (sawa) has explained the same in his traditions 

that is why we say and believe that the Quran alone is not enough ... Hasbona kitab Allah is not our belief 

our belief is what the Holy Prophet (sawa) said in hadith e saqalain where he (sawa) has talked abt Quran and Ahlulbayt  (as) together

and if you refer to the history of Islam you will know that the Holy Prophet (sawa) announced the caliphate of Hazrat Ali (as) alongwith the announcement of his Nabuwwat in dawat e zul asheera 

with regards to Hazrat Ameerul Momineen (as) in the Holy Quran there are many verses such as the verse of tathher , mawaddah , muabhelah , wilayah etc 

kh 

Uli-i Amr is a general concept that can have instances; but because the verse orders us to follow them absolutely, it means that they have to be far from doing sins or mistakes and errors; so the instance will specify to Ma'soumin.

The second point is that the age of a Ma'soum is not important like Prophet Jesus, Imam Javad and Imam al-Hujjah, who were child when they became Divine leaders.