Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Bismileh rahmanir raheem.

Assalamu alaykum,

I recently saw these two comments in a thread -

One commenter said:

"One thing to remember is we don't believe in doing good deeds solely for the sake of them. Everything must be done solely for the sake of Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. Thus if a good deed is done for the pleasure of someone else besides Allah then what value will it really have in His Eyes?"

The reply:

"Pleasing creation (not showing off) still is good in itself is not. You help a poor person for the sake of that person, how does that not have merit? You help someone for the sake of helping him, how does that not have merit?"

Any ideas/thoughts on both these statements?

JazakAllah.

Edited by yashia

Also, if you are doing good randomly, without thinking of it and without remembering Allah, will Allah still reward you for that good act which is done at random?

And, if you do a good act for the sake of pleasing Allah and helping someone, and you don't have any worldly benefits of that good act in mind and then you remember that this good act will please Allah and also benefit you in the future, is that still done for Allah or is it done for worldly benefits?

For example, I am kind to my parents because I want to please Allah, then I also think that being kind to parents not only pleases Allah but also benefits me, and I do this good act, will it still be something I did for Allah or would it be that I did it for worldly gains?

So I am nice to parents because of Sillah Rahm, and because they will help me in the future when I have financial problems, and I be nice with both of these in mind, does this mean I have done it for pleasing Allah?

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaam.

Allah (s) has created everything and everybody; He is so attached to His creatures and He loves them; so if you help His creatures it will make Him pleasant; of course if you have intention to help them for His sake, it will be at the top of virtuous deeds but if even you do that to satisfy your soul or to satisfy that needy person, still you are helping the one whom Allah (s) loves; so you certainly will have its benefits and you will be rewarded. This is like humans; if someone helps your father you will be grateful to him regardless his intention, so how about Allah (s) who is the Creator of merciful and is the most Merciful?

With Duas.

Narsis.

• Advanced Member

Salaam,

I think we can divide the good deeds into two categories:

1) those deeds which must be done only for the sake of Allah (s.w.t.)

2) the deeds could be done for pleasing someone other than Allah (s.w.t.), but at the same time could please Him, too.

The first category includes acts of worship, such as salat, sawm, suplication, etc. These acts must be done solely for Allah's (s.w.t.) sake and if one does them for the pleasure of someone other than Him, He will tell him on the Day of Judgement to ask his reward from the one he did it for.

Moreover, if a person performs one of these act for Allah (s.w.t.) and another one beside Him, He will not accept that act from him.

َ يَقُولُ اللَّهُ تَبَارَكَ وَ تَعَالَى‏ أَنَا خَيْرُ شَرِيكٍ‏ مَنْ أَشْرَكَ مَعِي غَيْرِي فِي عَمَلِي لَمْ أَقْبَلْ إِلَّا مَا كَانَ لِي خَالِصاً

Allah (s.w.t.) states, "I am the best partner. whoever associates anyone with me in an action, I will not accept but what is done solely for Me."

As for the second category, there are hadiths clearly affirming that some of the acts people do please Him, without the condition of doing them solely for Him. In other words, the very act is pleasant for Allah (s.w.t.) regardless of whom it is done for.

قَالَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صلى الله عليه و آله: مَنْ‏ سَرَّ مُؤْمِناً فَقَدْ سَرَّنِي وَ مَنْ سَرَّنِي فَقَدْ سَرَّ اللَّه

The Prophet (s) says, "one who makes a mu'min happy has indeed made me happy, and one who makes me happy has indeed pleased Allah (s.w.t.)