Sign in to follow this  
Laayla

Fassad Book

Rate this topic

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Why have you allowed fassadbook as a way to log in Shiachat?

Now government agencies will be able to look at the history of the posts members have posted since day one of shia chat.

Has Shia chat merged with fassadbook? It's my right to know, because if you have I'm unsubscribing. I like my right to privacy, thank you very much.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

1. No, you can choose to log in with facebook if you want

2. It's under testing

3. If you think the government can't check your entire history (be it here or facebook) already....then i would like to welcome you to 2014

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Brother Abu Hadi, please if you read this, answer my OP.

I never created an account on Fb. Or any social media as a matter of fact. I don't even have a cell phone.

Testing for what? Why didn't you make an announcement about it?

I really need to know if shiachat is giving information about members to fassidbook. I appreciate your honesty in this matter. When I signed up for Shia chat I agreed to those conditions at the time. Are there new conditions on shia chat that I'm not aware of?

...what do you have to hide , Laayla ?

we are against terrorism, against violence, against every cruelty in the world..  We are shia, not wahabis.  The CIA is welcome to look at my history.

It's not about hiding something; it's about not letting any state spy agency to invade our privacy in ways we can't even know.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Brother Abu Hadi, please if you read this, answer my OP.

I never created an account on Fb. Or any social media as a matter of fact. I don't even have a cell phone.

Testing for what? Why didn't you make an announcement about it?

I really need to know if shiachat is giving information about members to fassidbook. I appreciate your honesty in this matter. When I signed up for Shia chat I agreed to those conditions at the time. Are there new conditions on shia chat that I'm not aware of?

I didn't make an announcement because im still testing it. You don't have to worry about anything, it's simply: you can log on with your facebook user instead of making a user. What i'm trying to figure out is if a facebook user can "like" a post and share it etc. 

If anyone has facebook, please try it an give me feedback. Check for things like privacy, information sharing etc. 

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Why have you allowed fassadbook as a way to log in Shiachat?

Now government agencies will be able to look at the history of the posts members have posted since day one of shia chat.

Has Shia chat merged with fassadbook? It's my right to know, because if you have I'm unsubscribing. I like my right to privacy, thank you very much.

(bismillah)  (salam)

1, If the government agencies wanted to search through your posts, they would just sign up using a normal account. There is no need to use FB logins.

2, ISP and web browser companies already know the FB accounts of SC members. That is very easy for them. Unless you encrypt everything and take other security measures.

3, It was implemented to make it easier to register. If people don't want to use it then they can use the normal registration system. That way FB will not be able to link the SC profiles to the FB ones.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

i use facebook when I log into shiachat. it asks my email, and then if my email is compatible with the same email i registerd on shiachat, then i can access my same 'enlightened' account

if someone has multiple emails ,they can access shiachat under two different usernames

(salam) sister,

The government agencies can track EVERYTHING, from your phone calls to your entire life story if it wants, not making you paranoid or anything but it is a fact.

Even the camera in my phone or computer can turn up whenever it wishes to should an employee of a government agency wants, and this isn't even hidden, it is right in your user agreement which we are so eager to click 'I have read the terms and conditions' on.

Again, not to make you paranoid but airports have some of the highest security measures, and they can see a person's body shape right down to whatever (not naked; all curves I meant) and such measures are carried out in the West, the Far East, and even GCC countries, such things are primarily done for transportation of narcotics, and even making makeshift weapons and putting inside their bodies.

What I am getting at is, they can see you wherever you are, however you are, in whatever state you are, the surveillance is extremely powerful, and your local government will always comply with it.

You would have to go 'off the grid' in Antarctica, North Siberia, Amazon or anywhere that is not touched by humans to escape it.

But then again, why should we be worried?

Anyone can go through my entire history (and I am extremely active on the internet), there is no dirt, we aren't 'Islamic'Awekening where members start getting nervous when they see some anonymous guest logins, heck they even have an entire sub-section of the forum addressing their imprisoned brothers.

We are cool and should not be nervous against such things, and frankly, we actually can't escape it.. no matter what.

Edited by GreyMatter

(salam)

Laayla does have a point -- ShiaChat shouldn't be integrating with Facebook.

There are 2 issues here... (1) the login issue, and (2) any further integration with Facebook features.

1) For your question about the login, Laayla, I don't think the login option is a concern.  ShiaChat isn't the one that is giving out login information... it's Facebook that's "leaky" with their info.  ShiaChat's username & password database stays separate... it's Facebook that is letting ShiaChat have access to Facebook login information (although it's encrypted, so that ShiaChat operators can't see any of it).

However, there are other issues with doing this.  To some extent, forum operators should help people avoid making unwise choices.

Already, sometimes people sign-up on SC with their real name and then post about sensitive personal/family topics, which is problematic enough (and they may later realize it's not good, but because of how the forum system works with old quoted posts, even changing the username doesn't fully wipe out their old username from the posts).  

I notice that when I click the "View New Content" link at the top-right, sometimes it ends up showing me the newest members who have signed up.  And I'm often surprised at how many of the new members have actual names, instead of names like Neo or Trinity.  And now I'm guessing that it's because they use the Facebook login option, and simply go along with using their default name info for their login.

For this issue, perhaps ShiaChat should put a reminder on the sign-up page that a person should consider whether they want to use their real name.  

Or better yet, remove the Facebook login option.  From a philosophical perspective, SC shouldn't contribute to (or at least condone) FB's control/dominance on the web (especially considering so many terrible things FB does, as I'll mention a bit about below... although they do a ton more too).

2) Another issue is further integration with Facebook features -- one common feature is the "Like" button.

ShiaChat shouldn't be doing any further integration with Facebook.

Sites that place the Facebook "Like" button on their web sites help Facebook track people across the web. ShiaChat shouldn't be an accomplice in this.

Some info about how that works is here:

www.propublica.org/article/its-complicated-facebooks-history-of-tracking-you

www.abine.com/blog/2012/how-facebook-buttons-track-you/

www.abine.com/blog/2014/facebook-tracking-browsing/

bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/as-like-buttons-spread-so-do-facebooks-tentacles/

The "Like" button helps Facebook track its members across the web even if they're not logged-in (and even if you don't click on the button).  They even applied for a patent on their tracking techniques.

[To some extent, the tracking apparently even works on non-Facebook members... but if you frequently clear your cookies and change your IP, that minimizes the issue for members + non-members.]

However, the current "Like this" button you see at the bottom of posts is simply a forum feature though, not related to FB.

or possibly the FB integration allows ease of access and permutation of behavior.

Laylaa, I don't even know you, but from memory I can state you are an Ex part, living in Leb, two kids, and were recently thinking of what to do with your 1k, Gold or Hajj for father.

As for people who say "I have nothing to hide, etc. etc.", that's not a valid argument.  

There are lots of things people can say which are true, but stating them can create issues/problems (or simply a hassle that isn't worth dealing with).  

As I mentioned above, some people post about personal/family issues on SC.  But also, there are lots of "controversial topics" where stating one's opinion can create problems if it becomes widely known, even though the statements are true and correct (lots of political issues, comments about a certain country, etc.).  

There's an old saying about not talking about religion & politics with friends, because it often will lead to arguing.

Attaching your name & broadcasting such comments on the web can create problems (whether on FB or Twitter, or a forum site like SC)... whether with your neighbours, or at work, or perhaps in extreme cases, even with authorities, and the next thing you know, you have trouble taking a flight or crossing a border.  

As one example: 20 years ago, being against gay marriage was normal, but nowadays, if you're not in favour of gay marriage, you may get treated badly by others... so having it known that you're against it can lead to even worse. 

So privacy and anonymity have their role.

I didn't make an announcement because im still testing it. You don't have to worry about anything, it's simply: you can log on with your facebook user instead of making a user. What i'm trying to figure out is if a facebook user can "like" a post and share it etc. 

If anyone has facebook, please try it an give me feedback. Check for things like privacy, information sharing etc. 

Is the issue of Facebook integration something one administrator decides on his own?

Or is it discussed among all administrators and moderators first?   

My feedback is:

1) These issues should first be considered by all admins & mods, and users should have some input.  

2) SC shouldn't integrate any FB features.  And I think if more people knew about FB's history and what they're capable of, they would also be more cautious about them.
[As an aside, some people feel comfortable with their FB privacy settings... but then they give FB apps/games access to all their info:
www.toucharcade.com/2013/11/26/quizup-is-the-latest-example-of-why-you-should-be-cautious-about-facebook-integration-in-games/ 

Regarding what a few people have said:
Yes, surveillance is widespread, and in many jurisdictions, you can be snooped upon without a warrant.  

However, implementing features like the FB "Like" button is similar to inviting them in for tea & biscuits 24/7 (and inviting FB too, which otherwise wouldn't get that info).   In that analogy, yes, the authorities can always just walk-in anyway, but why make it easy for them & condone what they do?  

It's already known that some US government agencies use backdoor access to Facebook and Google and other major companies.  Integration of FB features simply adds to the treasure-trove of info (surfing habits, sites you visit, topics you view, even how long you stay on a page) that will be at their fingertips... and SC shouldn't assist in that.
Edited by Bright

Or better yet, remove the Facebook login option.  From a philosophical perspective, SC shouldn't contribute to (or at least condone) FB's control/dominance on the web (especially considering so many terrible things FB does, as I'll mention a bit about below... although they do a ton more too).

Our problem is that the activity on discussion forums on the Internet is reducing. Many people are being distracted by social networking websites and thus don't frequent these types of forums. This login system is a means to make registration easier for those people.

Many people are being distracted by social networking websites and thus don't frequent these types of forums. This login system is a means to make registration easier for those people.

I have noticed this too. We old timers who made SC and other such discussions boards a habit before social networking sites came in vogue tend to still stick around. But newer members, I have observed, come and go rather quickly; they have more platforms now than we did a decade or so ago.

It might just as well that we're fighting a losing battle?

I have noticed this too. We old timers who made SC and other such discussions boards a habit before social networking sites came in vogue tend to still stick around. But newer members, I have observed, come and go rather quickly; they have more platforms now than we did a decade or so ago.

Fight to last drop of blood....or last post perhaps!

Our problem is that the activity on discussion forums on the Internet is reducing. Many people are being distracted by social networking websites and thus don't frequent these types of forums. This login system is a means to make registration easier for those people.

Yes, that's true, sadly... it's like Facebook and Twitter (and maybe Instagram or some others lately) have vacuumed-up all the time people used to spend on other sites like forums.

It's too bad though, because I've read that FB in particular creates "tunnel vision", because people often only see what their contacts post, instead of more of a "town square" venue where there are diverse people.  And there are so many other issues...

I just dislike a lot of things about FB and the sneaky things they do   :angry:

But based on Marbles' post, it makes me realize that the problem for new members isn't the initial sign-up (since it's already pretty easy on SC), the issue is probably with people coming back and forgetting their login info, and not bothering to do the simple steps to reset their password... so the FB login option probably does help for that.

I suppose the benefits of that do outweigh the costs (of supporting their monopoly).  However, I think a reminder should be added at the sign-up, so that people think twice before using their real names when posting (due to sensitive topics some of them write about).

But I haven't changed my mind about other aspects of integrating with FB features.

I notice now that there is an FB "Like" button near the bottom of every forum page... if it stays, I think it should be modified for better privacy (if it hasn't already).  

This article:

bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/09/27/as-like-buttons-spread-so-do-facebooks-tentacles/

mentions that there's some way to change the setting so that FB can't do its tracking using the "Like" buttons:

“We’ve been troubled by this for a long time,” said Peter Eckersley, technology projects director at the Electronic Frontier Foundation. With the buttons, “I know when I click, I’m giving up my privacy,” he said. “People don’t expect Facebook to know everything they do on every other Web site.” (The foundation has set the social buttons on its own site so they don’t transfer data unless a user clicks on them, Mr. Eckersley said.)

Or if no one actually uses the FB Like button, can it be taken out?  I read that Twitter and other major companies are better about not using their buttons to track, but FB takes it to another level.  I doubt anyone even clicks on the FB Like buttons on SC, because they're so far down the page + buttons like that (on any web site) are kinda like wallpaper nowadays.

Also, for anyone concerned about privacy, I found this add-on:
www.eff.org/privacybadger

It looks pretty good: "Privacy Badger is a browser add-on that stops advertisers and other third-party trackers from secretly tracking where you go and what pages you look at on the web."  And the Electronic Frontier Foundation is a well-known organization.
Edited by Bright

The positioning of the logo is wrong. You should have facebook at the far right,after it says create account. It makes more sense that way and its not in your face,you should first promote your login service and then alternatives. I understand you want to promote the site but by adding in that new feature,it will only be an alternative way of login. The issue is not what social media connnection can lead you to here but rather the lack of activity on the plateform.

Am not a fan of fb or twitter,but I understand it can bring more views and people to this site.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Was this idea put through a vote by the Admins and mods?

You all know fassadbook has a feature called tag photo. If you shared a facial photo of yourself they recognize the face to the name.

Dear sister enlight, habibti hiding? Me? Noor al 3yn, I am a law abiding citizen for the most part( have passed red lights and not stopped on stop signs). Alhamd'Allah I am not a danger to anyone I fear my Creator, I would never do dhulm on anyone. However, I do take precaution of others who do not wish the same for me since my political and religious standpoint is a threat to my enemies. I not only protect my identity but of my family as well. Whether you like to believe it or not, shias are a threat to a lot of gov'ts and do not like the fact that some Shias are holding power and have a voice Alhamd'Allah.

I don't like how many shi3s have been sucked up by these social medias and have voluntarily gave information about there personal lives to the enemy so easily. I remember my sheikh telling us how the mominean would protect one another from the mo5abarat, when they would come to arrest them they would tear up there address books and swallow the papers so they wouldn't go after the people they had listed. I mean why are people so naive now and become stupid and negligent. Very sad to see many people careless and soooo consumed in this web of deception and satanic ways. Allah swt guide this ummah with the reappearance of our Imam.

Please reconsider removing fb. Weigh the options of pros and cons, I'm sure you will see it is more harmful then good. Wa Allahu A3lam.

Thank you.

Fight to last drop of blood....or last post perhaps!

Message boards are the clearly superior set-up. It allows for the exchange of ideas without all the bells and whistles, bright colors, shameless narcissism, etc...

There will always be a place for message boards because there will always be people who want to engage in discussions on the internet without inviting everyone to come to their home and murder their family.

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Was this idea put through a vote by the Admins and mods?

You all know fassadbook has a feature called tag photo. If you shared a facial photo of yourself they recognize the face to the name.

Dear sister enlight, habibti hiding? Me? Noor al 3yn, I am a law abiding citizen for the most part( have passed red lights and not stopped on stop signs). Alhamd'Allah I am not a danger to anyone I fear my Creator, I would never do dhulm on anyone. However, I do take precaution of others who do not wish the same for me since my political and religious standpoint is a threat to my enemies. I not only protect my identity but of my family as well. Whether you like to believe it or not, shias are a threat to a lot of gov'ts and do not like the fact that some Shias are holding power and have a voice Alhamd'Allah.

I don't like how many shi3s have been sucked up by these social medias and have voluntarily gave information about there personal lives to the enemy so easily. I remember my sheikh telling us how the mominean would protect one another from the mo5abarat, when they would come to arrest them they would tear up there address books and swallow the papers so they wouldn't go after the people they had listed. I mean why are people so naive now and become stupid and negligent. Very sad to see many people careless and soooo consumed in this web of deception and satanic ways. Allah swt guide this ummah with the reappearance of our Imam.

Please reconsider removing fb. Weigh the options of pros and cons, I'm sure you will see it is more harmful then good. Wa Allahu A3lam.

Thank you.

I agree with you overall, although I don't necessarily think governments are the main concern here.

It has been shown that a lot of facebook's violation of privacy are done for the sake of market research rather than government spying.

There was a recent issue with the facebook mobile app where it was revealed that facebook can hear through your microphone while you type. Apparently, the reason for this was so that they could overhear what was playing on your TV or radio and present you with advertisements which seem appropriate for you.

And I also think there is a generational difference. People who are in their mid-20s and above, tend to be distrustful of social media (even if, in action, they completely capitulate and submit to its will). But people in their late teens really don't have any idea what privacy is. They were born in a world of oversaturation. They are past that threshold. Once those people reach their 30s and 40s, forget about it; all this stuff will be old news. Everyone will accept getting strip-searched and probed at airports, and Coca Cola will be able to broadcast ads directly into your brain, etc.

Sister Laayla

(salam)

Don't be alarmed by this in the least. It is only a way for users to log onto ShiaChat and post with their FB identity without having to go through the procedure of registering, e-mails, creating passwords and all that. Nothing more. It can, in no way, affect your privacy as it exists now.

Sister Laayla

(salam)

Don't be alarmed by this in the least. It is only a way for users to log onto ShiaChat and post with their FB identity without having to go through the procedure of registering, e-mails, creating passwords and all that. Nothing more. It can, in no way, affect your privacy as it exists now.

But through this, shiachat is assisting facebook in its monopoly. That's the problem here.

This facebook login...everywhere I go on the internet they ask me if I want to login through facebook.

NO I DON'T.

It's like they are asking me to let them enter my room, check how I look into the mirror, see what I'm wearing, evaesdrop on with whom I'm talking, where I'm going, how many minutes I spent taking a bath.....