Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Anyone Here The Only Shi'a Member Of Their Family

Rate this topic

thelion

• Basic Members

Hey guys, 

I was just wondering is anyone here the only Shi'a member of their family? If I was to become one, I'd be the only one out of the huge majority of Sunni Muslims in my family, I don't think they'd take it that well either.

• Advanced Member

I am not the only shia in my family but the ONLY Shia in my in-laws. To say the least it gets uncomfortable at times, specially around the occasions like Eid, when I would like to go to one mosque and they would like to go to their own, my wife takes issue with that as well. At some gatherings when they like to pray in "jammat" at home, I am the only only one saying it a different way. All I can say is that it gets quite uncomfortable. 

• Basic Members

I am not the only shia in my family but the ONLY Shia in my in-laws. To say the least it gets uncomfortable at times, specially around the occasions like Eid, when I would like to go to one mosque and they would like to go to their own, my wife takes issue with that as well. At some gatherings when they like to pray in "jammat" at home, I am the only only one saying it a different way. All I can say is that it gets quite uncomfortable. 

I feel you man, where are you originally from if you don't mind me asking. I've already told my dad about my basic beliefs on religion but he's not taking it lightly, and he's not even that religious, he thinks it'll be weird and a big cut off point if i reveal i'm a shia to my family when no one else is

• Advanced Member

I'm from Pakistan, now settled in the US for thirteen years. This is my second marriage, I was OK with it, as my father was a Sunni Muslim, and mother is a Shia Muslim.  I didn't take much issue with it as my mom and dad never had any arguments over this issue. They were cool about, whatever their children were OK with. With my Sunni wife now, I have problems like she always wants me to go to a Sunni mosque for Jumma, even when she is not going. I don't know what will happen if we have kids. She has expressed she wants them to be Sunni. You will need to seriously think about your decision and any future decisions you take.

• Basic Members

I'm from Pakistan, now settled in the US for thirteen years. This is my second marriage, I was OK with it, as my father was a Sunni Muslim, and mother is a Shia Muslim.  I didn't take much issue with it as my mom and dad never had any arguments over this issue. They were cool about, whatever their children were OK with. With my Sunni wife now, I have problems like she always wants me to go to a Sunni mosque for Jumma, even when she is not going. I don't know what will happen if we have kids. She has expressed she wants them to be Sunni. You will need to seriously think about your decision and any future decisions you take.

Thank you for this piece of advice, as I said, none of my family will take it seriously/accept it either

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I am the only shia and only muslim in my family. So I feel you lol. And every family is going to be against their children who wants to change their beliefs. It's normal. But just change it without guilt. I mean would you rather lie to yourself and God for the sake of someone elses belief? Know what I mean?

• 3 months later...
  • Development Team

I am the only shia and only muslim in my family. So I feel you lol. And every family is going to be against their children who wants to change their beliefs. It's normal. But just change it without guilt. I mean would you rather lie to yourself and God for the sake of someone elses belief? Know what I mean?

Salaam alaikun,

As am I, but I haven't gotten any grief from it except from my father and my cousin but that's another story for another day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Basic Members

Yes I'm so far the only Shia in this family but it's my own problem. I married a Sunni man, only to find out later that he's not even Sunni to be honest with you, he's not religious at all.

I'm struggling a lot. I have a child but she's too young right now to know, I'm raising her Shia of course but I don't know what I'll do in the long run about my marriage life I'm very heartbroken.

• Advanced Member

I'm the only Shia in my family, in my city, in my province. I don't even think I can get married if I don't relocate to  a place where there are Shias.

In other words, I see no future for myself in my country.

My classmates make fun of me, calling me things like 'freak show', 'bloodbath' and 'tatbir junkies'...

I practice taqiyyah in the masjid as the deobandis consider Shias to be kafir.

But it's also very rewarding being a lover of Imam Ali. When they make fun of you, you always have a hundred comebacks to throw back at them.

In the end, it is totally worth it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Just read this so thought I'd reply. Yeah I am the only shi'a member of my family (as in in my in-laws). I got married into a sunni family and its [Edited Out]. [Edited Out] i say [Edited Out]. they go on and on about shia this and shia that. someone actually told me to become a 'true muslim' by converting to sunni'ism and I am bummed out. What made matters worse for me was that my brother in law (husband's elder brother) had also married a shia lady - had 3 children with her - and she murdered him 6 months back so now its 'shia's are traitors - look at what they did to their own imam after calling him to kufa'.

I dont know, i just hate the situation i am in that's all.