Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Help Out Hals Thread 2014!

Rate this topic

Salaamun Alaykum

I often get a lot of scenarios where I can't solve the situation on my own using sources, and it takes an age sometimes to get a reply from legitimate offices. A lot of them might be to do with 'applied fiqh'- i.e. applying the rules to certain situations, as you'll see with question 1

So, as I follow Sayyed Khamenei in some, and Sayyed Sistani in other issues,  could you answer with both if there is known difference, and quote which marja you are answering for [i sometimes follow Ayt Makarem Shirazi in other issues too, and as I view all three as = ilm, it doesn't matter whom you answer for.Without further ado, I hereby open the official 2014:

HELP OUT H_AL_S thread!

I would appreciate if some brothers and sisters who are knowledgeable could maybe answer some of these questions for me.

The first question came today:

I sometimes get pen ink on my hands. Now, Sayyed Sistani says 'that which has mass' must be removed, and colouring is OK. So, I sometimes doubt, whether it is colour or mass- now, question is, if I have this doubt, should I ignore it or is it a legitimate doubt?

Wasalam

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaam.

All scholars say that “that which has mass” must to be removed and in this regard you have to wash your skin and after that the very little mass will be removed normally.

Ayatollah Makārim: it has been proven experimentally that the mass of pen ink is so weak and therefore it is not considered as barrier.

With Duas.

Narsis.

Edited by narsis

Wasalam

Next question.

I know I can follow one marja in one topic [e.g. fasting] and another in a different [prayer] if both are alam and of equal ilm.

But is it permitted to follow one in a subsection of a topic, and another in another subsection:

i.e. Follow Sayed Khamenei in Wudhu and Sayed Sistani in Ghusl; with both being in topic of taharat?

• Advanced Member

there is no explicit answer in the books of Maraje regarding what you asked but considering relevant Fatwa in this regard it feels like that it is permissible unless it result in conflict when you want to perform your wajib.

تحریر الوسیله:ج1 ص 6

إذا كان مجتهدان متساويان في العلم يتخيّر العامّي في الرجوع إلىٰ أيّهما، كما يجوز له التبعيض في المسائل بأخذ بعضها من أحدهما و بعضها من الآخر.

if there are two Marja who are equal in knowledge , the man could refer to every one of them, also he could refer to one in some and to another in other issues.

• Veteran Member

salaam
I work in a charity shop. I was told by boss to sort through books to find those which were in condition for sale and sperate from those which were not. However, I came across some books which were haram (e.g. romance/afffairs novels). I put these books, although in condition for sale, into the bag for books to be thrown out, even though they could have been sold and a profit made. Do I have to pay back the charity shop the cost of the books which could have been sold? Is it permissible to pay back $10 if the doubt is between 10 and 12 dollars? Do I have to openly pay back to the charity or can thise be done discreetly?
wasalam

Najaf.org

In the Name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful

Yes, you have to, therefore try to make compromise with him

Wassalamu Alaykum

• Veteran Member

salaam

if someone doubts if he has done 2 sajdahs or one in salat, is his salat batil?

If a person doubts the above doubt then settles for 1 and does another sajda is salat batil?

ws

1 If a person doubts whether or not he has performed a Rukn, like, while in tashahhud, he doubts whether or not he has performed two Sajdah, and ignores his doubt, but remembers later that he had actually not performed that Rukn, he should perform it if he has not entered into the next Rukn. However, if he has engaged himself in the next Rukn, his prayer is void. For example, if he remembers before Ruku of the next Rak'at, that he had not performed two Sajdah, he should perform them, and if he remembers this during Ruku or thereafter, his prayers are void.

Could you clarify your question?

hella Ali.

My question is if a person doubts if he did 2 sajda or 1- is the salat made batil?

Second question is if a person then proceeded to do another sajda aftertheir doubt of whethedr they did 1 or 2- would salat be batil in this case?

Don't worry bro- I couldn't find answer on Ayt. Sistani laws at all !

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaam.

According to Ayatollah Sistani:

If his doubt is before going to the next action (Tashahhud), he has to do two Sajdas, but if after doing that, he later remember that he actually has added to the Rukn (doing three Sajdas) his Salaat is void according to necessary precaution.

Source:

http://www.sistani.org/persian/book/50/57/

Article 1160.

With Duas.

Narsis.

1.Is it wajib to do amr bil maroof and nahi an Al munkar with regards to Sunni brothers and the way they do salat or wudu?

2.Is Salawat wajib between tashahud and taslim in the salat?

3. Sometimes a person whispers to himself in prayers about the meaning of the component of salat in a min arabic langauge. Is this deemed to ,are salat invalid?

Ws

• Advanced Member

1.Is it wajib to do amr bil maroof and nahi an Al munkar with regards to Sunni brothers and the way they do salat or wudu?

3. Sometimes a person whispers to himself in prayers about the meaning of the component of salat in a min arabic langauge. Is this deemed to ,are salat invalid?

Ws

Salam bro,

1) I'm not understanding your question. Can you elaborate or give a scenario?

2) Reciting Salawat during both Tashahuds; after the first two Rak'atayn and at the end of Salat is Wajib. If one intentionally does not recite it, then is Salat is void and must be repeated. However, if one does not recite it out of their ignorance, then his previous Salats are still accepted.

http://www.sistani.org/arabic/qa/0368/

3) For now, I don't know, sorry.

^yes brother, that is what I mean.

Another question is this:

is it allowed to go to a "mixed beach" during a time of day when there are no women clothed indecently (e.g in the middle of winter, or at night time). 

And also, what is classed as "indecent dressing"?

ws

Edited by h_al_s
  • Advanced Member

Ws

Bismillah.

Salaam.

1. Amr bi Maʻroof & Nahi ʻani-l Munkar is not Wājib to them because this duty is obligatory only in regard with those who are doing a sin/bad action or avoiding obligations knowingly, but you have to guide them (ʼIrshād) which is our duty in regard with ignorant.
  2. Yes, it is Wājib.
  3. I didn’t understand the question.

With Duas.

Narsis.

^yes brother, that is what I mean.

Another question is this:

is it allowed to go to a "mixed beach" during a time of day when there are no women clothed indecently (e.g in the middle of winter, or at night time). 

And also, what is classed as "indecent dressing"?

ws

if there is no sin, so there is no forbid.

(Wasalam)

Brother, for example, when a person is going into sujud, he may have in his mind the meaning of sujud (e.g. You are so low before Allah.).

However, Sometimes, as he is going into sujud, he actually says the meaning of the component of the prayer to himself. I.e. As he is going into position of sujud, he says with his mouth "look at your position before Allah" in a non arabic language. So, does this make salat batil?

Bismillah.

Salaam.

1. Amr bi Maʻroof & Nahi ʻani-l Munkar is not Wājib to them because this duty is obligatory only in regard with those who are doing a sin/bad action or avoiding obligations knowingly, but you have to guide them (ʼIrshād) which is our duty in regard with ignorant.
  2. Yes, it is Wājib.
  3. I didn’t understand the question.

With Duas.

Narsis.

if there is no sin, so there is no forbid.

ws

with regard to question 1, after guiding a sunni br. that their salat is incorrect in their way, does amr bil maroof then become wajib (i.e. each time we see them we should tell them they're doing their salat wrong?)

^I'm not trying to meddle in others' business lol. Rather, I was looking at the laws of amr bil maroof, and so I wanted to see how these laws are applied when it comes to sunni-shia things. Because the books of laws don't mention with regard to non Muslims, or Non Shias, so I wanted to see to which degree these people should be guided etc.

• Advanced Member

(wasalam)

Brother, for example, when a person is going into sujud, he may have in his mind the meaning of sujud (e.g. You are so low before Allah.).

However, Sometimes, as he is going into sujud, he actually says the meaning of the component of the prayer to himself. I.e. As he is going into position of sujud, he says with his mouth "look at your position before Allah" in a non arabic language. So, does this make salat batil?

You cannot say anything in other languages in your Salaat; of course you can say in your own language only in Qunut according to some jurists.

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaam.

It is Wājib to reply to others’ Salaam immediately after his Salaam, whether you are in Salāt or other states. But there is some conditions: in Salāt you have to begin with the word “Salaam” as a reply to others; for example you have to say: “Assalāmu Alaykum” or “Salāmun Alaykum” and you are not allowed to say: “Alaykum Assalāmu”. As I said, you have to reply immediately, so if you make delay for replying as it is not considered as his Salaam reply, intentionally or inadvertently, you have not to reply then.

Another condition is that if you are doing Salāt and there are some other people, then someone enters and says: Salam; if someone among those people reply to him, here you are not allowed to reply while doing Salāt.

With Duas.

Narsis.

Ws
Thanks for reply br.
but is it classed as "talking". I.e. does replying to the salam make the salat batil or not?

Edit

Answered by br Narsis.

According to ayt sistani, one should reply with only "salaamun alaykum" if they say "salaamun alaykum wa rahmatAllah". I.e. it is only required to reply to the salaamun alaykum part.

Also, it does not make salaat batil to reply to a salaam during the salaat.

ws

Edited by h_al_s
  • Advanced Member

Salaaam

Sometimes,a dentist or doctor has music which is deemed haram playing in the background. Is it wajib to ask them to turn it off, if they are non muslim, and the patient is not listening, only hearing?

Ws

Bismillah.

Salaam.

If he is Shia, it is Wājib to tell him as Nahi-e ‘ani-l Munkar. If he is Sunni, it is Wājib as ‘Irshād of ignorant. If he is not Muslim, it is not Wājib at all.

If you have to be there and there is no other way for your cure, there is nothing on you when you don’t have intention of listening and only you are hearing the voice.

With Duas.

Narsis.

(Wasalam)

Sorry br.

I did not mean with regard to ame bil maroon, I mean when the clinician is a non muslim.

My question is that is it wajib for me to ask them to turn off the music in the surgery (as it is haram for me to listen to such music). My question was with regard to when the clinician is a non muslim, so it's not to do with amr bil maroof.

I.e. If it is possible to get them to turn off the music until I leave the surgery.

Also, when you mentioned about informing a Sunni, is it wajib to tell a Sunni that certain actions they do according to their own fiqh is haram (e.g. Food they eat, folding arms)?

Ws

Edited by h_al_s
  • Advanced Member

(wasalam)

Sorry br.

I did not mean with regard to ame bil maroon, I mean when the clinician is a non muslim.

My question is that is it wajib for me to ask them to turn off the music in the surgery (as it is haram for me to listen to such music). My question was with regard to when the clinician is a non muslim, so it's not to do with amr bil maroof.

I.e. If it is possible to get them to turn off the music until I leave the surgery.

Also, when you mentioned about informing a Sunni, is it wajib to tell a Sunni that certain actions they do according to their own fiqh is haram (e.g. Food they eat, folding arms)?

Ws

Bismillah.

Salaam.

About your first question, I have to tell that if you are sure, or even give possibility, that they will listen to you, because this is your right there not to listen, so do that! But if this is routine and they won't listen to you, this is not Wājib on you.

Regarding your second question, you have to do 'Irshād according to Shia faith not others'; because even if you tell him and he corrects his action according to his own Fiqh, still he is doing wrong action, since it is not in accordance with Shia Fiqh.

With Duas.

Narsis.