Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Doesn't God Answer My Prayers?

Rate this topic

NYCboi

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaam friend.

There are certain things, mentioned by Islamic resources, as barrier for prayers get acceptance:

1. You are not really praying Allah (s); for example you demanded Him something while you are expecting your friend or father or … to do that for you; this is not polite in front of Allah (s), Who is the resources of everything, to be asked while there is someone else, to whom, is your hope totally. (Note: this does not mean that you have not to ask others for anything).

2. Sins; sins can role as one of the most powerful barrier to some of your prayers while without committing them, those prayers will, definitely, get acceptance by Allah (s) and this is according Allah’s wisdom, not something like pertinacity, which is far from Allah (s).

3. Your request is not in accordance with Allah’s wisdom; as you know Allah (s) has a long-term plan till the Day of Judgment; imagine you want Him to give you something, because you think that is your benefit whilst Allah (s) is aware of your future and He knows that that thing will harm you in future, worldly or spiritually, physically or mentally; so just for your own good, He does not give you that thing while you are angry with Him in this case because your knowledge is limited, but you have to be grateful to Him for causing you not having trouble.

With Duas.

Narsis.

• Advanced Member

Salamun alaykum brother

According to Quran and our Ahādith, prayers will be answered definitely:

وَ إِذا سَأَلَكَ عِبادي عَنِّي فَإِنِّي قَريبٌ أُجيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذا دَعانِ فَلْيَسْتَجيبُوا لي‏ وَ لْيُؤْمِنُوا بي‏ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ

When My servants ask you about Me, (tell them that) I am indeed rearmost. I answer the supplicant's call when he calls Me. So let them respond to Me, and let them have faith in Me, so that they may fare rightly. (2/186)

But sometimes we cannot see the answer of our call. Imam Ali’s advice to his son Imam Hsasn (as):

“God has provided you with the keys of His treasuries by permitting you to ask him and to open the gate of His mercy by your supplications (Duā). A delay in answering should not make you despairing (because) indeed (His) gift is based on (your) determination (and intention).

Sometimes He delays the answer to be a greater reward for the applicant and a greater reward for the wistful. Likely you asked something and it is not answered according to what you intended but you are rewarded by something better in the world or in the Hereafter. Or even what you wanted is not answered due to your greater benefit and advantage, thus possibly your religious ruin was in what you wanted.

Therefore call for something in which there is no pain and involvement and its benefit lasts, so money and properties will not last for you and you won’t last for them neither.”

Nahjul Balaqa, letter 31

so may Allah accept your prayer (if your benefit is in that call)...

Edited by followers

• Veteran Member

Maybe because you are following the wrong religion, when you are in a position to know better? You aren't praying to a Trinitarian god by any chance, are you?

Aside from that, I believe God answers prayers of those who are sincere, and who believe in Him. If you doubt His existence, then it's like you are praying with the hope that it might work, if He exists. I also think you are less likely to have your prayers answered if you are making belief in God conditional on your prayers being answered in the way you would like.

• Unregistered
Third Greater Sin: Qunut (Despondence)

Imam Ali bin Husayn al Zayn al Abidin(as) has said that the bounties, Allah bestows on any person, are never taken away, but in consequence of certain sins:

(i) Disobedience to the virtuous,

pride, ridiculing others,

(these result in withdrawal of bounties and turn the sinner into a hardened transgressor.)

(ii) Going to bed before praying Isha salat,

sleeping at the time of Fajr salat, 

thinking lightly of the bounties of Allah,

complaining to others against Allah. (these reduce the means of sustenance to the minimum.)

(iii) Swearing false oaths,

uttering lies,

adultery,

obstructing the way of the Muslims,

false claims,

misappropriation of a trust,

not helping the aggressed and oppressed,

not preaching pursuance of good and abstinence from evil.

(these bring down calamities.)

(iv) Practising iniquity and wickedness,

legalising that which is forbidden,

obedience to the wicked and revolting against the virtuous,

drunkenness and gambling,

using jests and jokes to stimulate ridicule of others.

(these give an upper hand to the enemies.)

Hassanain Rajabali - "Why Doesn't God Answer My Prayers?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntowqbR6Dk

• Unregistered

Why don’t you go to the nearest graveyard and ponder on what's there-Are you not better off, above ground with all its calamities and perceived negatives?

Or ,

Try visiting your local hospital and ask them to direct you to the children's cancer ward and maybe have a conversation with one of the them., ask them why they have the will to fight and survive?

Anyone of the above two -will exchange their life with yours in a second.

I think you will find that your life is a blessing. 

Edited by S.M.H.A.

• Advanced Member

I dont want to live anymore since he doesnt answer my prayers?

He just hasn't answered them yet. The circumstances around you haven't given God the chance, because of intereference from free will. When the circumstances are right, you will know instantly and meet up with the opportunity awaiting you, NYC boi.

Please do not be discouraged or depressed. Sometimes the right thing for you takes time- not only for you to change within yourself but for others to change and be the kind of people who fill your needs.

Does he even exist?

I have asked that many, many times. Nevertheless, I believe "despite my disbelief". It is the 'leap of faith'. You are in the "dark night of the soul". There are many of us there....those who trust and those who love a God who seems to hide. The muslims speak about their Imam who is in occultation. Sometimes we feel that God is likewise hard to find. Perhaps it is because we look within the recesses of our minds for Him, not outside ourselves.

Seriously. i am losing the desire to exist.

Please do not be rash. Besides- NYC? What a depressing place to live.

• 4 years later...
  • Advanced Member

in the name of Allah, the all-merciful, the most merciful.
Salam.
God is the all-merciful, the most merciful, loving-kind, the most compassionate, and He is waiting for you to return to him sincerely,.
after your sincere praying, God bestows you his especial and infinite mercy and kindness.
you can always pray and God guaranteed to accept your prayers.
God loves you infinitely, supports and helps you, increases your faith, shows you the path and never leaves you alone.
God removes your sadness and resolves your calamities by His infinite mercy, power, knowledge and wisdom.
in Islam we have many verses of holy Qur'an and narrations and also numorous beautiful Islamic supplications.
all of them, indicate that Allah is the all-merciful, the most merciful.
the all merciful God says in Qur'an 2/186:
“And when My servants ask you concerning Me, then surely I am very near; I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he calls on Me, so they should answer My call and believe in Me that they may walk in the right way.”
the all-merciful Allah says in the Qur'an:
“surely my Lord is Nigh, Answering.”
holy Qur'an: 11/61.
“And ask forgiveness of your Lord, then turn to Him; surely my Lord is Merciful, Loving-kind.”
holy Qur'an: 11/90.
the all merciful God says in the holy Qur'an:
“And when those who believe in Our communications come to you, say: Peace be on you, your Lord has ordained mercy on Himself, (so) that if any one of you does evil in ignorance, then turns after that and acts aright, then He is Forgiving, Merciful.”
surah alanaam: verse 54.
Amir al-Mu’minin (عليه السلام), in one part of dua kumayl tells Allah:
“it is very far from You to spoil the one who have accepted Your divinity and training, via Your spiritual blessings. It is very far from You to torture the one who You have have brought to Your nearness and mercy, or to drive away the one who You have given refuge, or chastise the one who You have spared.”
o my lord, You are so Merciful and so Generous that You have addressed the sinful human:
“You called me and I answered you, you asked Me and I granted you, you opposed Me but I respited, you left Me but I watched you, you disobeyed My orders but I concealed your sins; if you return to me I would accept you, and if you went away from Me, I wait for your return to Me. I am the most Generous of the generous, the most Forgiver of the forgivers, and the most Merciful of the merciful.”
Imam al-Baqir (عليه السلام) says:
“During every Thursday night, Allah orders an angel to call on behalf of the Almighty: Is there any believer who calls Me for this world and the Hereafter so that I may grant his exigency? Is there any believer who repents for his sins before the sunrise, so that I may forgive him? Is there any believer who asks for the abundance of his sustenance, which I have made sparse, before the sunrise, so that I may increase it?
Is there any sick believer who asks Me to heal him before the sunrise, so that I make him well? Is there any imprisoned believer who asks me to free him before the sunrise, so that I grant him his freedom? Is there any oppressed believer who asks Me to avenge the oppressor, so that I restore his rights? He will keep saying so until dawn.”
Bihar al-Anwar: 86/282, chapter 2, tradition 27.
Imam ‘Ali (عليه السلام) says:
"Allah is not to open up the doors of gratitude to His servant but close the doors of increased blessings. He is not to allow him to supplicate, but limit fulfillment of his supplication. And He does not intend to open the doors of repentance, but close the doors of His forgiveness."
Nahj Al-Balagha: Hikmat 435.
Imam al-Baqir (عليه السلام) said:
“Obtain Allah’s Mercy and Forgiveness by returning to Him, and for realizing your return get help from sincere praying in the middle of night.”
Bihar al-Anwar: 75/ 162, Bab 22, tradition 1.
Allah’s benevolence toward His creatures is extended and comprehensive, especially for mankind. Allah’s presence is not an abode of hopelessness or stinginess. His generosity and forgiveness is relentless, as is His longing for His servants to pray to Him.
Allah addressed Prophet David (as):
“Say to My servants: Why don’t you befriend Me, since I deserve friendship? I am a God of no miserliness, there’s no ignorance in My Omniscience, no incapacity in My Forbearance, and no alternation in My Attributes or My Speech. My Mercy and Forgiveness is unvarying and constant. I am the friend of him who befriends Me, and I accompany him who invokes on Me in his solitude. O David! He who seeks Me finds Me; and he who finds Me deserves not to lose Me. O David! Blessing is from Me but My servants thank others; I ward off calamity but they seek it from others. Their safe haven is My Presence, but they seek refuge from others, though finally they return to Me.”
A surplus of such meaningful texts in Islamic books, along with Qur’anic verses, give good tidings to the servants to be hopeful of God’s Mercy. The servants should, therefore, pray and ask their prerequisites from God. That’s why the traditions narrated by the Ahl Al-Bayt (عليه السلام) have all stressed the importance of du’a’. It is narrated from the holy Prophet of Islam (S):
The following is narrated from Amir al-Mu’minin (as):
“The most desirable deed on all the Earth is supplication to Allah.”
Al-Kafi: 2/467, The chapter on fazl Al-Do’a…, Tradition 8.
“Du’a’ is the key to success. The best du’a’ is the one uttered from a purified soul and heart. The means to salvation is sincerity in du’a’. When the problems cause restlessness, the solution is seeking refuge in God’s Presence.”
Al-Kafi: 2/468, Chapter Inna al-do’a silah al-mu’min, tradition 2; Mahajja al-bayza’: 2/284, Bab al-thani fi adab al-do’a…
The Almighty revealed to Prophet Moses (as):
"O son of Imran! Bring to My Presence submission of your heart, humbleness of your body, and tears of your eyes in the darkness of night and then call Me, you would then find Me near and compliant."
Bihar al-Anwar: 67/ 14, Bab 43, tradition 2.
Allah told Jesus through revelation:
"O Jesus! Join the believers and order them to pray with you before My Presence!"
Wasa’il al-Shi’a: 7/104, bab 38, tradition 8856.
The supplicant should be aware that it is Almighty God who has invited him to pray and has guaranteed the acceptance of the supplication. Accepting the prayer and granting the supplicant’s exigency is easy for Allah, since each and every world’s creature is under His Absolute Power, and He provides the grounds for the fulfillment of His servant’s exigency with a single order.
It is, therefore, not right to become hopeless in the Presence of God, whose Insight, Mercy and Forgiveness is infinite, especially when praying. Despair, as specified in the Holy Qur’an, is the attribute of the disbelievers:
"Go, O my sons! And ascertain concerning Joseph and his brother, and despair not of the Spirit of Allah. Lo! None despaireth of the Spirit of Allah save disbelieving folk." (12:87)
The Holy Qur’an strongly recommends against being hopeless of God’s Mercy:
"Despair not of the Mercy of Allah!" (39:53)
The All-Knowing Lord says in Qur’an:
"And when My servant question thee concerning Me, then surely I am close (to them). I answer the prayer of the suppliant when he calleth unto Me." (2:186)
No one is as close to the man as his creator, Allah. He is the One who has created man, fashioning him in the womb, and then transferring him to this world. He bestows His material and spiritual blessings unto man, sent the Prophets to guide him, and granted him the Divine Qur’an and the Immaculate Imams (عليه السلام).
Allah has created water for the thirst of man and food for his hunger. He cures man’s diseases and improves his health. He discards man’s loneliness with a spouse, children, and friends, and his starkness with various kinds of clothes. Allah makes man cherished by the others, and maintains his dignity before them. Allah solves his problems, however difficult they may seem. Who is so closely and intently aware of man’s deepest needs and can provide him with all these blessings, except Allah? He is indeed closer to man than anyone else. Hence He says in Qur’an:
"We verily created a man and We know what his soul whispereth to him, and We are nearer to him than his jugular vein." (50:16)
http://www.al-Islam.org/commentary-kumayl-supplication-allama-husayn-ansariyan
also, please read the chapter Conditions of Du’a’ in the mentioned book.
It is reported from the Holy Prophet (S) , “For whosoever among you the door of prayer (du’a’) is opened, then the doors of mercy (rahmah) shall be opened for him.”
Kanz al-‘Ummal, hadith no.3156.
Imam ‘Ali (‘a) says: “Supplication is the key of mercy.”
Bihar al-Anwar, vol.93, pg.300.
In his will to his son al-Hasan (‘a), Imam Amir al-Mu’minin ‘Ali bin Abi Talib (‘a) says: “Thereafter, He put the keys of His treasuries in your hand, in that He has allowed {you} to ask Him from it. So whenever you wished, you opened the doors of His treasuries through supplication.”
Bihar al-Anwar, vol.77, pg.299.
With reference to the verse:
“Whatever mercy Allah unfolds for the people, no one can withhold it.” Qur’an, 35:2.
Imam as-Sadiq (‘a) is reported to have said, “{The mercy implies} the prayer (du’a’).”
Bihar al-Anwar, vol.93, pg.299.
The Holy Prophet (S) says: “For whosoever among you the door of prayer (du’a’) is opened, the doors of response (ijabat) shall {also} be opened for him.”
Kanz al-‘Ummal, hadith no.3156.
It is Allah who opens up toward His servant with prayer, and He is the one who opens for him the doors of its acceptance.
Imam ‘Ali (‘a) says: “Whoever knocks at the door of Allah, the Glorious, it will be opened for him.”
Ghurar al-Hikam, hadith no.8292.
Imam as-Sadiq (‘a) is narrated to have said, “Supplicate frequently, for it is the key of every mercy and the fulfillment of every need. And that which lies with Allah cannot be attained but through prayer (du’a’). A door which is frequently knocked at is likely to be opened for the one who knocks it.”
Bihar al-Anwar, vol.93, pg.295; and Wasa’il al-Shi’ah, vol.4, pg.1086, hadith no.8616.
https://www.al-Islam.org/supplication-in-the-eyes-of-ahlalbayt-Muhammad-Mahdi-al-asifi
Favorable Judgment about God:
Imam as-Sadiq (a) said: “The last servant who will be sent to Hell will turn his face towards Allah. The Lord then will order the angels to bring him back. ‘Why did you turn your face, servant?’ the Lord will ask. ‘Lord,’ the servant will say, ‘I had another idea about you.’ ‘What did you think of Me, servant?’ the Lord will ask. The servant will answer, ‘I thought You would forgive me and allow me to live in Your Paradise.’ The Lord then will say, ‘My angels, I swear by My power, majesty, favors, tests, and exaltation, this servant had never thought good about Me for a single hour of his lifetime. Had he done so, I would not have sent him to Hell. Nevertheless, I will regard the lie that he has just told as true and allow him to be in Paradise.’ Allah will live up to the servant who thinks well of Him:
‘This was how you considered your Lord, but He knows you better than you know yourselves. Thus, you are now lost (41:23)5.’”
Quoted from Bihar ul-Anwar; 3/301 (as quoted from as- Saduq’s Thawab ul-Aamal).
https://www.al-Islam.org/ahlul-bayt-ethical-role-models-Sayyid-Mahdi-sadr