Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

What Is Happening In Yemen?

Rate this topic

Sallams

I only have access to al Jazeera and BBC, and none of them can be trusted to tell the whole story.

I want to hear it from someone on here, someone who knows what is actually happening in Yemen.

Is the war in Yemen mainly Houthi vs Government or is there a Shia vs Wahabi element present?

I have heard that there has been numerous schools teaching hate against shias in Yemen and that is what outraged Houthis, correct?

Iran is being accused of sending arms and helping them, and they say they captured a boat which was smuggling weapons into Yemen and there were Iranians on board, is this true?

Saudi Arabia is saying that they are only looking to make Yemen stable because it is its neighbour and the spill over effect could damage Saudi Arabia.

All in all, what is the story in a short paragraph please, are we shias really all that goody goody or am I under some kind of a propaganda?

What do the Houthis want? what does the government want?

I also hear the Houthis are led my a Sayyid! :D  :angel: Could he be the Yemeni?

Thank you, try to keep it short please.

• Advanced Member

Right now it isn't a Houthi vs everyone or vs wahabbi's.

It is Houthi's supported by most Yemeni's against corrupt government that hasn't done anything and against Sunni party that is allowing terrorism to happen frequently.

They want cheaper petrol as the government removed most concessions. They also want a lot more power and might even get a leading role in a new government.

A good day for all Shias.

• Advanced Member

I know right, I am so happy, it is a great achievement by the shias, doesn't matter if they are not Ithna Asheri, I am very happy.

From what I understand, the leadership of the Houthis is Imami Shi'i. The majority of the laity is Zaydi. 

• Advanced Member

What? what is Imami Shi'i? and what is Laity? or zaidi?

1. Twelvers are called Imamis - al-Imamiyya

2. The everyday Houthi 

3. The Zaydiyya are a branch of Shi'ism which the majority of the Houthis adhere to. Their leadership, however, is most probably comprised of Twelvers. 

1. Twelvers are called Imamis - al-Imamiyya

2. The everyday Houthi 

3. The Zaydiyya are a branch of Shi'ism which the majority of the Houthis adhere to. Their leadership, however, is most probably comprised of Twelvers. 

That is better news, ye I thought those were the answers but I am not good with Arabic.

That is even better if they are led by Imamiyya, wonderful. I was happy when I didn't know this, I thought they were led by Zaydi Sayyid, but this is even better than I thought.

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaikum,

Talking about Twelvers, there are some who claim themselves as Twelves yet reject marjaiyyah and Wilayatul Fakih. So beware of this group . Their objective is to attack the main pillar of strength and defense of Iran. They tend to have extreme behavious. They do not respect the figures of Sunni (the companions) nor Shia (the maraja)

• Advanced Member

Salam Alaikum,

Talking about Twelvers, there are some who claim themselves as Twelves yet reject marjaiyyah and Wilayatul Fakih. So beware of this group . Their objective is to attack the main pillar of strength and defense of Iran. They tend to have extreme behavious. They do not respect the figures of Sunni (the companions) nor Shia (the maraja)

(wasalam)

With all due respect sister(s), this is completely unrelated to the topic of the thread. Additionally, you are making several gross generalisations.

WF is one of many political theories of governance employed recently by Iran following the 1979 Revolution. Many Ulema directly opposed Seyyid Khomeini and many disagree with the current form of it in place in Iran.

I'm not sure why some Shia are under the assumption that supporting Iran is actually part of their faith and anyone who disagrees on a political level is somehow less of a Shi'i. Rather sad to see to be honest. 

Edited by Ali Musaaa :)
  • Veteran Member

Salam Alaikum,

Talking about Twelvers, there are some who claim themselves as Twelves yet reject marjaiyyah and Wilayatul Fakih. So beware of this group .

:D

Where was I on the day when Wilayat al-faqih became the pillar of Shi'ism!

Edited by Marbles

Salam Alaikum,

To be honest I also don't respect some Sunni figures e.g. Abo bakr, Omer, Uthman and their likes. I actually don't like them, no I hate them and despise them and they are an enemy to the prophet S.A.W and Ali A.S, the Ahl al Bayt and the Imams, so the 14 infallibles.

• Advanced Member

[I'm not sure why some Shia are under the assumption that supporting Iran is actually part of their faith and anyone who disagrees on a political level is somehow less of a Shi'i. Rather sad to see to be honest.]

I'm not saying supporting Iran is part of our faith. I'm saying that those who oppose Iran, the marjaiyyah, or the concept of WF, are doing that to weaken Iran. 

As we know Iran is the only country that formally recognize Twelvers as their school of thought. And they try their best to implement Islam according to Ahlulbayt's teaching in their country. And another important thing is Iran firmly stand against oppression done by Israel and US to Palestinian and other muslim of different countries.

Another important role of Iran is to maintain unity of Islamic ummah, particularly between Sunni and Shia. And their Leader which is the WF always emphasizes this unity. As we know, disunity is what the enemies of Islam wants. And we all know how the enemies trying their best to sow discord among Muslim so that they will fight each other and forget the oppression done by Zionism, and the corruption done by dictators of their country

So that's the picture that all of us must be able to see clearly.

Now, all of sudden emerge a group that claims themselves as twelvers and reject the marja (Islamic scholars), calling them as unjust, liars, rejecting WF etc

Think rationally, what is the aim of such groups other than to destroy the pillar of unity in Iran, weaken Iran, and strengthen the enemies of Islam.

To be honest I also don't respect some Sunni figures e.g. Abo bakr, Omer, Uthman and their likes. I actually don't like them, no I hate them and despise them and they are an enemy to the prophet S.A.W and Ali A.S, the Ahl al Bayt and the Imams, so the 14 infallibles.

The pillar of Islam is Tawhid. And Tawhid means unity. By disrespecting the holy figures of other schools of thought will certainly create enmity, chaos, thus helping the enemies of Islam to weaken Islam from within. The importance of unity is such that most of the scholars among Sunni and Shia are calling the muslim ummah to strengthen unity among themselves and avoid discord. 

If you dont think preserving unity is important and you dont care what will be the consequence of disregarding unity, then you better question your faith.

The meaning of unity doesnt mean you proclaim your love towards other figures, or you mix your belief with other people's belief. 

Maybe this video will help our understanding:

My marja is Sistani. Btw I don't go around cursing Omer, I have a deep hatred for some historical figures which I keep to myself for the sake of unity, but that doesn't mean I don't hate them.

Currently unity seems to be more important than discussing history since discussing history is what causes the Sunni to become offended.

• Advanced Member

Don't hate on the Houthi's because they aren't like Iran.

They had an Immamate for longer than most of our shia brothers. We should respect them for their accomplishments and strength in their faith. Even today they have a quasi immamate with their leaders.

Houthi yemen will have strong relations with Iran and all other shia countries. This is a victory for us. Whatever minor differences there are between shia is nothing in comparison to the great enemy of Sunni extremism.

Also for your information Sister, Ayatollah Sistani doesn't subscribe to Wilayat al Faqih. Is he also against Iran and trying to weaken their state? Haha.

Edited by Kurdi Fehli
  • Advanced Member

My marja is Sistani. Btw I don't go around cursing Omer, I have a deep hatred for some historical figures which I keep to myself for the sake of unity, but that doesn't mean I don't hate them.

Currently unity seems to be more important than discussing history since discussing history is what causes the Sunni to become offended.

If you are following marja Imam Ali Sistani (may Allah bless him), then I wonder why the way you are talking are not in line with his fatwa which also emphasizes unity. You should apologize to our Sunni brothers for your words clearly hurt them. Surely there's nothing wrong to discuss history but it must be done carefully instead of releasing one's anger, bashing this and that. 

And by the way , the group which I have been talking about is not referring to the Yemenis in Yemen. I'm referring to a group which accepts all 12 Imams and at the same time believe in the infallibility of the son of the 12th Imam. And this group asks us to give allegiance to this 'son' which they believe to be the Yemeni who will help Imam Al-Mahdi. Have you ever heard about such group. And again this group disrespects both Sunni and Shia figures. So beware of this group. This group accuses the marja(s) as lying, unjust, lead people astray. Can you accept such group? 

And finally, not agreeing with the concept of WF can be understandable, but to have this enmity towards WF, towards, marjaiyyah, towards Iran, is something which clearly be seen as part of enemie's plot to weaken Iran, weaken Islam, weaken justice. If you see Iran as your enemy, then who is your friend? America? Israel?

Yet this particular group claim themselves as Twelvers. And what is their symbol . Zionist symbol.

Edited by Sisters In Islam

If you are following marja Imam Ali Sistani (may Allah bless him), then I wonder why the way you are talking are not in line with his fatwa which also emphasizes unity. You should apologize to our Sunni brothers for your words clearly hurt them. Surely there's nothing wrong to discuss history but it must be done carefully instead of releasing one's anger, bashing this and that. 

And by the way , the group which I have been talking about is not referring to the Yemenis in Yemen. I'm referring to a group which accepts all 12 Imams and at the same time believe in the infallibility of the son of the 12th Imam. And this group asks us to give allegiance to this 'son' which they believe to be the Yemeni who will help Imam Al-Mahdi. Have you ever heard about such group. And again this group disrespects both Sunni and Shia figures. So beware of this group. This group accuses the marja(s) as lying, unjust, lead people astray. Can you accept such group? 

And finally, not agreeing with the concept of WF can be understandable, but to have this enmity towards WF, towards, marjaiyyah, towards Iran, is something which clearly be seen as part of enemie's plot to weaken Iran, weaken Islam, weaken justice. If you see Iran as your enemy, then who is your friend? America? Israel?

Yet this particular group claim themselves as Twelvers. And what is their symbol . Zionist symbol.

Dear sister in Islam, I can hate someone who died over a 1000 years ago, just as you can hate Genghis Khan who invaded Iran over 800 years ago. This does not mean I have caused offence, or that I need to apologise, just as you don't need to apologise to the Mongolian people for hating their forefathers.

Besides, because I am someone who likes my great grand ancestor, Hazat Fatima A.S and I hate the person who took her right from her (Fadak), He who hurt her and besieged her and Ali's house (Omer) and he who gave the power to the Omayyads, misused millions of dinars from Bayt al maal muslimeen, took Ali's rights by inheritance from the other 2, and was responsible for the murder of many key Sahabas such as Abuzar Ghiffara (Uthamn ibn Affan). 

I think my hatred of such people are justified since their evil acts are impossible to cover up. Not to mention the oppression of all Imams and shias for over more than a 1000 years.

I am very patient as I don't act on my hate, I have put it aside and I call Sunnis my brother.

If you speak of Iran then to hell with Iran, if you speak of the Shia Mazhab then I will be dead before I let myself see it ruined. If you say Iran this and Iran that then the 'Iranians' are on their own, if you say the shia of Iran against the US, every shia including me will be willing to help their Muslim brothers with their blood against the US.

Dear sister you are holding a book upside down, If you think that Iran is the pillar which is holding shia Islam up, then you are very wrong and misled.

Clearly it is the Shia sect which is holding Iran up, had it not been for Shia mazhab then men such as Khomeini would not have existed or Khamanei to keep it, and you people would have been under the rule of Monarchs and dictators.

Also please remember that the Shia Mazhab is over a 1000 years old, the new Iran is just a new government not even a 100 years old. And Iran is what it is now because of its religion, its religion is not what it is because of Iran. Get it?

BTW yes I have heard of the people who call some guy the mahdi and say the mahdi has 12 successors etc, all silly rubbish which anyone with a brain could reject.

Edited by SF Taha