Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

[LAWS]Is A Turbah Compulsory?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Assalamualaikum.

I am a new convert to Shia Islam, alhamdulillah.

I am a female living in Birmingham, UK and I don't know any Shia muslims at the moment so I haven't been able to get a turbah to prostrate on. So first off, does anyone know where I can get one?

But I've been wondering is a turbah compulsory because up til now I've been prostrating on paper.

• Moderators

Not compulsory, but it is compulsory to avoid prostration on cloth (carpet). Any natural material that is not worn can be used, or if you are praying outside, prostrate on clean earth.

I don't know where you can get a turbah, but probably if you let a Shia sister friend or mention at an Islamic center that you need one, they can find one for you.

• 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

God subhana wa ta a'la made rules so you may pray to him at anytime and anywhere. It is not obligatory to pray on a turbah, instead put your thumbs where you put your forehead and let your forehead touch your thumbs nails. You may do this. However when standing up, you will think where do I look at since you have nothing in front of you, you will look at the point where you put your forehead, OK. 

This is how you will do it. 

When you get to sajdah, place your thumbs together and let your forehead touch your thumbs nails. 

(wasalam)

May you start opening your mind

• Veteran Member

(salam)

God subhana wa ta a'la made rules so you may pray to him at anytime and anywhere. It is not obligatory to pray on a turbah, instead put your thumbs where you put your forehead and let your forehead touch your thumbs nails. You may do this. However when standing up, you will think where do I look at since you have nothing in front of you, you will look at the point where you put your forehead, OK. 

This is how you will do it. 

When you get to sajdah, place your thumbs together and let your forehead touch your thumbs nails. 

(wasalam)

May you start opening your mind

(salam)

Sorry brother,, this practice is not valid according to jurisprudence. I've seen several people perform it but it is not correct and will make one's sajdah batil. 

• Advanced Member

Assalamualaikum.

I am a new convert to Shia Islam, alhamdulillah.

I am a female living in Birmingham, UK and I don't know any Shia muslims at the moment so I haven't been able to get a turbah to prostrate on. So first off, does anyone know where I can get one?

But I've been wondering is a turbah compulsory because up til now I've been prostrating on paper.

Whom do you follow sister as a marja'?

• Advanced Member

(salam)

Sorry brother,, this practice is not valid according to jurisprudence. I've seen several people perform it but it is not correct and will make one's sajdah batil

(salam)

you make sajdah on a piece of clay is your thumbs nails not a piece of clay? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Salams,

From a shari'i point of view it is not permissible to do sujood on your thumbs. A turbah is highly recommended but Allah doesn't want hardship on you and therefore you may use any natural substance which grows from the ground, except that which is eaten or worn.

You can go to revertmuslims.com and ask for their free welcome package (in the menu under the "New to Islam" tab). Included is a copy of the Quran (most likely translation), hijab, (I think they include a subha which is prayer beads, like the rosary), and a turbah. They do say that in some cases you might have to pay a small postage fee.

Best of luck,

Wasalam

• 2 weeks later...