Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Do Women Have To Wear A Prayer Dress When Praying?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

Assalamualaikum.

I am a recent convert to Shia islam, alhamdulillah.

When I was learning how to pray, I was watching videos and looking at images and I couldn't help notice women were wearing prayer dresses and chadors/khimars. Or is this only in muslim countries?

My understanding is that women have to cover everything but their face and hands when praying but is a covering like a prayer dress compulsory?

Also, I would like to purchase a prayer dress, regardless of if it's compulsory or not and I live in Birmingham, UK so does anyone know where I can buy one. If a prayer dress is not possible, a chador or khimar would do.

Jazakh'Allah

• Moderators

Not required, but very convenient, especially when praying at home.

You can order one online or sew one if you are only a little bit skilled with a sewing machine.

And congratulations!

Edited by notme
  • Advanced Member

(salam)

I am very glad to hear you embraced Islam and Shia!

May Allah bless you with His great mercy in your new life sister.

since veil or chador is a kind of dress that would cover easier all the parts must be covered in Salat, it is recommended to wear chador while praying, but the ruling in this regard just mentions the parts which shall be covered:

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2210/

797. A woman should cover her entire body while offering prayers, including her head and hair. As a recommended precaution, she should also cover the soles of her feet. It is not necessary for her to cover that part of her face which is washed while performing Wudhu, or the hands up to the wrists, or the upper feet up to the ankles. Nevertheless, in order to ensure that she has covered the obligatory parts of her body adequately, she should also cover a part of the sides of her face as well as lower part of her wrists and the ankles.

I just refereed to Sistani ruling as it was at hand and this almost a common law among Maraje, and let me know if you have chosen another Marja to make sure.

• Advanced Member

Wsalam,

Although it is not necessary to wear it, it does make life easier when you just throw it on,lol. I would say try an arab or asian shop. Otherwise you probably find it online. At home we have the one that two piece set,like a long scarve and skrit and the choder one my father brough us a couple from mecca and my mother brought us some from syria.

I am sure you find it online if not in a shop.

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaam dear sister.

I really congratulate you for embracing Shia Islam. As you know, there are many rulings in different actions; so you have to select an expert in Jurisprudence (Jurist) which is named in Arabic as Marja' of Taqleed and your actions (like prayer, fasting and etc.) must be in accordance with his opinions. If you want some suggestions, Shia Muslims who are living out of the country of Iran are mostly following Ayatollah Khamenei or Ayatollah Sistani and their books, official websites and their representatives in all parts of the world are easily available in different cities and languages.

With Duas.

Narsis.

• Veteran Member

You know guys, it is really recommended to make life of other Mo'mins easier and some of the questions they ask do not really need a marje' to answer them. Honestly, she is just asking about the proper clothing during prayer and i believe the basics are agreed upon which she is aware about.

so instead of diverting the topic to taqlid, it would be much helpful if you just listed the general and basic rules regarding the clothing's of prayers:

1- Halal not stolen

2- Tahir, no najasah on them

3-modest , covering the body

4- black color is not recommended. 

5- praying in multple layers of cloths is recommended

6- avoid transparent cloths

7-avoid praying while wearing t shirt with picture on it (humans or animals)

8- avoid tight clothes

9- avoid dirty cloths (not names, just dirty like sweating or food spots etc)

10- it is recommended to use white cloths

11- it is recommended to be simple from simple material like cotton.

Edited by Chaotic Muslem
  • Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaam to all.

I mostly recommend all those who convert to Shia Islam to select a Marja' at first because there are lots of different opinions in any single deed; for the question my sister asked has also different answers due to Maraaji's opinions (specially in the framework of covering).

With Duas.

Narsis.

• Basic Members

You know guys, it is really recommended to make life of other Mo'mins easier and some of the questions they ask do not really need a marje' to answer them. Honestly, she is just asking about the proper clothing during prayer and i believe the basics are agreed upon which she is aware about.

so instead of diverting the topic to taqlid, it would be much helpful if you just listed the general and basic rules regarding the clothing's of prayers:

1- Halal not stolen

2- Tahir, no najasah on them

3-modest , covering the body

4- black color is not recommended. 

5- praying in multple layers of cloths is recommended

6- avoid transparent cloths

7-avoid praying while wearing t shirt with picture on it (humans or animals)

8- avoid tight clothes

9- avoid dirty cloths (not names, just dirty like sweating or food spots etc)

10- it is recommended to use white cloths

11- it is recommended to be simple from simple material like cotton.

Jazakh'Allah!!

• Advanced Member

Salam 'Alaikum Sis AmaniZahid, 

Inshaallah you may find this writing beneficial even though it may not related to your question

Question:

Why do women have to cover when they pray, even if they are at home and no male is present?

Answer:

Hiajb is a symbol of a woman’s servitude to God (not to her husband as portrayed in the West). Thus, it is seen as her best dress code when she is standing before her Creator. We are recommended to wear our adornments when praying. ‘Adornment’ here is not to seduce but to be more humble and decent before God.

Men are also recommended to wear ‘Aba and turbans (which were outdoor dresses) in the old days, even if they pray in their bedroom. And God knows best.

Sheikh Mansour Leghaei

http://www.askthesheikh.com/why-do-women-have-to-cover-in-prayer-even-if-they-are-at-home-and-no-male-is-present/

______

*Sunni Syiah are both Muslim. So apparently the word 'convert' may not seem to be appropriate. Maybe its better to say that we accept the Ahlulbayt as the true leaders of the ummah after the demise of The Prophet. Once we have accepted this, it is sufficient to direct our ibadah, understanding, etc according to the teaching of The Holy Quran and the holy progeny of Prophet Muhammad (may peace be upon them all) 

*Be careful of people who promote extremisme, and takfirism 

*Be careful of immoral, corrupt people whether they label themselves as Sunni or Shia

*And be careful of certain groups of Shia that reject Wilayatul Fakih and the concept of marjaiyyah

Wish you success in both worlds,

FB/Sisters In Islam

Edited by Sisters In Islam