Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Leda

New To Shia Islam And Need Guidance

Rate this topic

Hi /salaam everyone

I am new to Shia Islam, I married someone who is Shia.  Please tell me how do I learn the Shia way of prayer and the fiqu of shia islam? I almost feel as if I am starting over.  Is there something on Youtube that I can watch or follow that can teach me?

I am curious about the morg, (clay tablets) and (tasbih) and the prayers 

I am learning how to use a chador but it's hard.

thanks

(salam) my congrajulations on you accepting the truth. May Allah bless you and your family. I hope you and your husband have a beautiful future together. Please check out the links in my signature to learn more about Shia Islam.

http://www.al-islam.org/nutshell/ - This website contains all the essentials for a new Muslim.

This is a post I wrote for a sunni becoming a Shia, but it may help you as well, in regards to prayer.

Yes, there is a difference.

For Prayer Times, you must check with your local Shia Mosque near you. Or you can download an addon if you have firefox http://praytimes.org/ you put in your location and choose the Shia Ithna Ashari, Leva Research Institute, Qum method of calculating the time.

We still have 5 daily prayers of which we can combine the Zuhr+Asr Prayers, meaning praying Asr right after Zuhr prayer time, and same with praying Isha after Magrib prayer time.

Question: Why do Shias combine Zuhr and Asr prayers? Is it permissible?

Answer: It is permissible to combine Zuhr and Asr prayers and to perform them separately as it is permissible in both manners. It is narrated that the Holy Prophet of Islam (pbuh) offered his prayers in both combined as well separate manners. He combined his prayers without being in an urgent situation like war or storm.

We Shias pray on something called a Turbah (Earthly material). We Cannot put our foreheads on a prayer rug.

Question: Why do Shias use Turbah (Sajdagah) when doing Sajda?

Answer: Sajdah should be performed on earth, and on those things which are not edible nor worn, and on things which grow from earth (e.g. wood and leaves of trees). It is not permissible to perform Sajdah on things which are used as food or dress (e.g. wheat, barley and cotton etc.), or on things which are not considered to be parts of the earth (e.g. gold, silver, etc.). And in the situation of helplessness, asphalt and tar will have preference over other non-allowable things. Sajdah should not be performed on the vine leaves, when they are delicate and hence edible. Otherwise, there is no objection. It is in order to perform Sajdah on things which grow from the earth, and serve as fodder for animals (e.g. grass, hay etc.). It is in order to perform Sajdah on flowers which are not edible, and also on medicinal herbs which grow from the earth. Performing Sajdah on a grass which is eaten in some parts of the world, but not in the rest, but it is classified as edible.

Our Wuthdu is different, we do not wash our feet for example, we wipe.

Ablution done before one prays (Wudthu):

242. In Wudhu, it is obligatory to wash the face and hands, and to wipe the front portion of the head and the upper part of two feet.

243. The length of the face should be washed from the upper part of the forehead, where hair grow, up to the farthest end of the chin, and its breadth should be washed to the part covered between the thumb and the middle finger. If even a small part of this area is left out, Wudhu will be void. Thus, in order to ensure that the prescribed part has been fully washed, one should also wash a bit of the adjacent parts.

329. Wudhu becomes void on account of the following seven things:
Passing of urine. Excretion. Passing wind from the rear. A sleep, deep enough to restrict sight and hearing. However, if the eyes do not see anything, but the ears can hear, Wudhu does not become void. Things on account of which a person loses his sensibility, like insanity, intoxication or unconsciousness. Istihaza which will be dealt with later. Janabat, and, as a recommended precaution, every state which requires Ghusl.

There are much more rules you should look at:

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2153/

Here is an example done.

925. It is Mustahab (HIGHLY recommended) for man and woman to say Adhan and Iqamah before offering daily obligatory prayers, but for other Mustahab or obligatory prayers, they are not prescribed. But before prayers of Eid ul Fitr and Eid ul Adha, it is Mustahab to say "As-Salah" three times, provided that the prayers are going to be offered in congregation.

Adthan (Call for Prayer)

927. Adhan consists of the following 18 sentences:

Allahu Akbar - four times
(Allah is greater than any description)

Ash hadu an la ilaha illal lah - two times
(I testify that there is no god but Allah)

Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasu lul lah - two times
(I testify that Muhammad is Allah's Messenger)

Hayya'alas Salah - two times
(Hasten to prayers)

Hayya'alal Falah - two times
(Hasten to deliverance)

Hayya'ala Khayril 'Amal - two times
(Hasten to the best act)

Allahu Akbar - two times
(Allah is greater than any description)

La ilaha illal lah - two times
(There is no god but Allah)

Here is an beautiful recitation of the Shia adthan:

Iqamah (Done after Athan. Similar to Athan but a few changes):

As regard to Iqamah, it consists of 17 sentences. In Iqamah, Allahu Akbar is reduced in the beginning to twice, and at the end, La ilaha illal lah to once, and after Hayya 'ala Khayril 'Amal, Qadqa matis Salah (i.e. the prayers has certainly been established) must be added two times.

928. Ash hadu anna Amiral Mu'minina 'Aliyyan Waliyyullah ( I testify that the Commander of the faithful, Imam Ali (as) is the vicegerent of Allah) is not a part of either Adhan or Iqamah. But it is preferable that it is pronounced after Ash hadu anna Muhammadan Rasulul lah with the niyyat of Qurbat.

929. There should not be an unusual interval between the sentences of Adhan or Iqamah, and if an unusual gap is allowed between them, the Adhan or Iqamah will have to be repeated.

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/48/2216/

http://www.duas.org/calltoprayer.htm

For prayer, we do not put our hands to our chest, we keep them to our sides, nor do we say "ameen" after surah fatiha.

*Women have to cover their entire body including hair, but excluding the face, hands - to the wrists, and feet - to the ankles during prayer. They should do this even when they are alone.

* Are there any other requirements for the recitation?
- Yes, you must observe the correct pronunciation of the Arabic words, both individually and within the context of other words; when you stop on a word, you must always pronounce it with an ending tone (sukoon), i.e. you should ignore the accent on the last letter, be it fatha, kasrah, dhamma, etc. Conversely, you must pronounce the words with their full harakat (diacritical marks, such as shaddah, maddah, tanween, hamzatul wasl or hamzatul qat’, appearing above the characters or below them that denote and aid the proper pronunciation of the words, both independently and in relation to other words in the sentence), usually found in the print of the Holy Qur’an.

In a word, you should master the rules of correct recitation, in the same way, you are required to do when reciting the verses of the Holy Qur’an, such as idgham (amalgamation or doubling of certain letters - after noon sakinah), qalqalah (resonating the sound of such letters as, qaf, taa’, baa’, jeem, daal, especially when you are stopping on them). Some of these can be found at the end of the words of (Ahad, Assamad, Yelid, Youled in Chapter of al-Ikhlas).

Basically, try your utmost best to get the pronunciation down.

http://www.sistani.org/english/book/49/2406/

Guide to Praying the Shia way

http://iecoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/How-to-Perform-the-Prayer.pdf

If you have any questions feel free to ask, or if you need specific help. I suggest practicing till you memorize it.

(wasalam)

Bismillah.

Salam and congrats.

You have to, as the first step, to select a scholar (Marja') and follow him in jurisprudential affairs; mostly scholars’ offices possess their own website in different languages by which you can ask all of your questions.

Secondly I recommend you to begin reading fundamentally written books like the books of Martyr Mutahhari (if you wish I can send to you most of these books by email in a zip file).

Thirdly I'm offering you to search the videos of Sheikh Mohammad Ali Shomali, Sheikh Hamza Sodagar, Sheikh Amin Rastani and Seyyed Modarresi in YouTube and get benefited from their beautiful lectures on various Islamic topics.

With Duas.

Narsis.