Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

How Do I Ask For Forgiveness?

Rate this topic

• Basic Members

I have done some things in the past that I am not proud of. I won't get into details but basically some haram things that I now regret. I am striving to be a better muslim and the main thing I want to do is ask Allan for forgiveness. What can I do? How do I ask for forgiveness such that He will accept if? I know I won't be perfect but I'm just striving to be better. Advice?

• Advanced Member

(salam)

dear friend, make sure that Allah will forgive you and do not doubt it, incidentally what Allah will not forgive is to show disappointed and hopeless upon His great mercy.

Indeed, no one despairs of relief from Allah except the disbelieving people.(12:87)

He said," Who despairs of his Lord's mercy except those who are astray?!"( 15: 56 )

• Advanced Member

dude theres no specific ritual of asking forgiveness. there may be a few duaas that others suggest to read and prayers n stuff, but the best way to ask forgiveness from Allah (swt) is to just say it. "Allah forgive me, i have wronged". you have to mean it, say you will never do it again, let it come fro your heart, and it will if you truly mean what you say. a tear might trickle down ur check who knows. thats what god wants you to do, repent. always go back to him whenever you do something wrong that you regret. he is the most forgiving isn't he ? you can commit the same sin 1000 times, but if after every time you repent and truly ask for forgiveness and in your heart your intent is to stop doing what you did (even tho u will do it 1000 more time), he will forgive you. just have faith in Allah (swt)

• Advanced Member

Bismillah.

Salaamun Alaykum!

There are certain simple factors for this issue:

1. You are not allowed to confess about your sins in front of people – and confessing is itself sin because through confessing to others, you are indeed losing your honor and Allah (s) loves you as his servant and He won’t be pleased with you losing your honor and dignity. But you are just permitted, even recommended, to confess in front of Allah (s).

2. There is no sin in the universe that doesn’t have capability of being forgiven and even all-Merciful Allah (s) encourages us to ask for forgiveness;

"قُلْ يا عِبادِيَ الَّذينَ أَسْرَفُوا عَلى‏ أَنْفُسِهِمْ لا تَقْنَطُوا مِنْ رَحْمَةِ اللَّهِ إِنَّ اللَّهَ يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ جَميعاً إِنَّهُ هُوَ الْغَفُورُ الرَّحيمُ"

“Say (that Allah declares,) "O My servants who have committed excesses against their own souls, do not despair of the mercy of Allah. Indeed Allah will forgive all sins. Indeed He is the All-forgiving, the All-merciful” (the Qur’an 39:53)

3. There are three levels for an acceptable forgiveness regarding the sins which are between you and Allah, i.e. God’s right (Haqqu-Allah) and one level for man’s right (Haqq an-Nās); for the first one you have to:
  • Be regretful of what you’ve done as sin. (Every Mu’min, after committing some sins, naturally and automatically will get regretful of what he/she has done and this is considered as a sign of Mu’min).
  • To ask Allah (s) for forgiveness.
  • To make a decision not doing that sin again.
  • (Regarding man’s right) to pay what you owe to others and to get rid of Haqqu-n-Nās.
With Duas.

Narsis.

• Veteran Member

(salam)

The simple rule of thumb is to be sincere. You cannot waver when it comes to repenting or looking for redemption. You must believe and make a promise that you will try your best to avoid the sins from now on. That you will be better.

Remember though, you must constantly seek this repentance (heart and mouth) because God wants to know you're persistant. So please do read du'a/Qur'an and supplicate. Try to lengthen your sajdah and just focus on the feeling/motivation that you have when trying to be better. There will come a time when you feel redeemed and refreshed, so till then keep at it and don't ask questions like "how do I know I've been forgiven" etc because that is a senseless question that it asked for the sake of it.

You will know if you've been forgiven if you keep persisting.