Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Ali-F

Haram To Crack A Program?

Rate this topic

It is obviously not halal. 

Nevertheless, everyone does it, and many don't even think that it is not halal. But meh, one can't be perfect, staying away from major sins and trying to stay away from minor sins, is good enough, imo.  :P  :D

just crack it, if you buy it then a part of your money will go to the US who will then use a part of that money on weapons, which will then be given to Israel or used for US' missions against Muslims.

Crack it! you choose, fund the US, or deny the US of your money.

just crack it, if you buy it then a part of your money will go to the US who will then use a part of that money on weapons, which will then be given to Israel or used for US' missions against Muslims.

Crack it! you choose, fund the US, or deny the US of your money.

hahaha :D 

I wrote to najaf.org, and they said that its not allowed to act against the law. But the didn't say if it was haram. And I also wrote to them that it was also cracked, so I need to know if that's allowed (if its already cracked).

W salaam. 

You can't break the law of the land, especially when there are plenty of free options. You could give OpenOffice and Google Docs a shot. 

They probably don't classify it as a blanket 'haraam' to avoid unintended consequences on research etc. 

I need excel, and Openoffice is not that good... I can live with Google Docs, but it is sucks that you don't have excel when your teacher uses that and show other people how to make the work etc. using EXCEL... But i DONT have excel 

I need excel, and Openoffice is not that good... I can live with Google Docs, but it is sucks that you don't have excel when your teacher uses that and show other people how to make the work etc. using EXCEL... But i DONT have excel 

What is it that you can't do with Google Docs, and you can with Microsoft Office? 

I guess I'll have to rephrase and ask again - what settings are you missing in Google Docs that you find in Excel? 

And what part of it is easier? 

in general.. when we have this and this, and the teacher shows us how to do it in EXCEL, it's hard to do the same thing in docs, when you don't have the same settings.. well.. google docs may have the same settings, but they're harder to find and to figure out if you are not a native speaker

i also agree to crack programs or to install and use cracked programs is unethical and wrong

however there is a wide rage of free software and operating systems available free free free , eg ubuntu and libre office which does every single function of windows and ms office,  and all the files are compatible both ways between ms office and libre office.

i use it  

in general.. when we have this and this, and the teacher shows us how to do it in EXCEL, it's hard to do the same thing in docs, when you don't have the same settings.. well.. google docs may have the same settings, but they're harder to find and to figure out if you are not a native speaker

So it's not the lack of features, but having to find them?

Make an effort, not only will you avoid sinning but also get to learn a new (and growing) set of applications.

So it's not the lack of features, but having to find them?

Make an effort, not only will you avoid sinning but also get to learn a new (and growing) set of applications.

you can't say that it's sinning - what's your proof? 

My friend has installed it on my pc now.. So, well, i do not need openoffice.

I've asked this specific problem from a reputable A'alim (who answered me from Ayatollah Seestani's jurisprudence). I asked whether we could download pirated movies or softwares from torrent sites etc (that were originally paid but people have cracked them and made them available for free.) His answer was that I can use it as long as I wasn't the one to crack it.

Unless there's a secondary issue, like that your country's government has banned using pirated software as a law.

And Allah (swt) knows best.

Hmm, you want proof that stealing is prohibited?

so, you are saying it's stealing? I don't know what your proof for that is. There's a difference between something being illegal in a country and illegal in Islam.

btw.. my friend said that it was not illegal what he did.. he had his own key or something like that.. 

I've asked this specific problem from a reputable A'alim (who answered me from Ayatollah Seestani's jurisprudence). I asked whether we could download pirated movies or softwares from torrent sites etc (that were originally paid but people have cracked them and made them available for free.) His answer was that I can use it as long as I wasn't the one to crack it.

Unless there's a secondary issue, like that your country's government has banned using pirated software as a law.

And Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì knows best.

if the government has banned using pirated software of law  - does that make it haram to still use it (according to Islam) that's the main question.

(bismillah)

All this, and no one has bothered to check the ruling of the issue?

The following is from the office of Sayed-Al-sistani (may Allah protect him):

Question: Can I use cracked CD software?

Answer: If someone else has cracked the software, you can use it but you are not allowed to copy or burn it into another compact disc.

Reference: http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/search/11137/

There is a difference between Copying a Software and Using a file that is being shared.

Hopefully this argument can cease.

(wasalam)

Edited by TheIslamHistory

if the government has banned using pirated software of law  - does that make it haram to still use it (according to Islam) that's the main question.

If the government has expressly banned it then yes, as far as I know it makes it haram to use it. Since according to ayatollah Seestani you have to follow your country's laws. 

Although I don't know if countries actually ban use of pirated software. Do they?

If the government has expressly banned it then yes, as far as I know it makes it haram to use it. Since according to ayatollah Seestani you have to follow your country's laws. 

Although I don't know if countries actually ban use of pirated software. Do they?

how can you say it's haram.. ? 

Salaam.

Please do not come with opinions without facts. If I would say that something is halal to do and a someone listens to me and starts doing that "something" then wont I be accountable for all of his Sins comitted because of what i Said.

Please do not forbid and allow things without sources.

Peace be upon you all.

Salam

I dont have microsoft office, and I want to download it. However, the price is high, so I want to download it by using (uTorrent). Is it halal?

An Office 365 subscription sets you back the poverty inducing sum of ... $100 a year. 

$8 a month.

30 cents a day.

Boo hoo.

Probably everyone rationalizes stuff they shouldn't really.

But it reminds me of a segment from a Simpsons episode, where Bart ends up working for the mafia and the mafia steals a truck full of cigarettes:

(no, I didn't memorize this, I'm just pasting it :P)

-------

Lisa: Bart, is your boss a crook?
Bart: I don't think so.  Although it would explain an awful lot.

--At work, Fat Tony gives Bart a present, in gratitude for his help with hiding the cigarettes [which he didn't know were stolen].--

Bart: Uh, say, are you guys crooks?
Tony: Bart, um, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
Bart: No.
Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family.  Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
Bart: Nuh uh.
Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread?  They like... cigarettes?
Bart: I guess that's okay.
Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away, you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away.  Would that be a crime, Bart?
Bart: Heck, no!
Tony: Enjoy your gift.
-------

Whether you crack it or someone else does, it's still stolen property.  People put time into creating the software, and need to be paid for their work.

If you can barely meet your expenses right now, then maybe that would be a grey area, but that would mean not having the latest iPhone or whatever... and then you should also buy a legit copy once you can afford it.

Anyway, it's good that your friend got you a proper copy.

I was curious how much it costs nowadays, and found this:
www.microsoftstore.com/store/msca/en_CA/pdp/productID.260246200

...$79 for a 4-year subscription, good on 2 computers
...$10 per year per computer isn't much
Edited by Bright