Sign in to follow this  
mina

Travel And Prayer

Salam

Hope u are all doing well.

If I intend to travel 14 days and stay 3 days in one city and two days in another and so on, I shorten my prayers.But what if I suddenly decide to stay ten days in one city...do I need offer full prayer from that moment my niyyat changed ?

May Allah t bless and protect u.

Salaam

from the point you decide (make the niyya) to stay for ten days (it should be ten from that point onward, not with addition of previous days) then the prayer is full

but if you have stayed for 5 days and prayed shortly, on the fifth day when you wanted to leave, you changed your idea and decided to stay for one more set of 5 days (which in addition to previous 5 would be 10) then the prayer is still shortened.

May Allah accept your Prayers and ours.

y/w

no, when in doubt, one must pray in qasr (shorten prayer) until 30 days pass in doubt, on the 30th day, he or she must pray full even if he or she is leaving tomorrow:

Ayatollah Khamenei:

س 673:
كسى كه به جائى مسافرت كرده و نمى‏داند چه مقدار در آنجا خواهد ماند، ده روز يا كمتر، چگونه بايد نماز بخواند؟
ج:
وظيفه شخص مردد تا سى روز قصر است و از آن به بعد بايد نمازش را تمام بخواند، هر چند در همان روز بخواهد برگردد.

Question 686: How should someone who travels to some place without knowing how long he is going to stop there, whether for ten days or less, say his prayers?

A: He should say prayers in qasr for 30 days, on the 30th day he must pray in full even if he's leaving on the same day.

http://www.islam-pure.de/imam/fatwas/practical03.htm#Intents Of Traveling The Shar’i Distance And Staying For Ten Days

Salam

if both the Imam and the Ma'mum (follower) are performing shorten prayer, It is not Makruh

but if one of them is performing complete prayer, then it is Makruh for the follower.

but don't get it wrong; Makruh here has a unique meaning.

here Makruh means "less rewarding" not "disliked" that is if you have three choices:

1- furada (single) parayer

2- Jamaat prayer where your prayer and the Imam's match in terms of being shorten or complete. both have the shortened or complete.

3- Jamaat Prayer where your prayer is different than the Imam's in terms of being shorten or Complete

if you have all these options, you should definitely take the Second.

http://islamquest.net/en/archive/question/fa14859

Salam

May Allah bless u brother...u helped me lot in this thread.I mentioned u in my worthless duas at Imam Reza as .

I am praying shortened here and wanted to attend the jamaat prayer and then heard that it is makruh.So i'll pray farada i guess to have the "usual" rewarding....right?

Million tnx for mentioning your brother in your precious Duas at Imam Reza as, May Allah t accept your Ziyara sister and grant you prosperous life.  

well, not exactly! Jamaat prayer is always better than Furada. from the link I have pasted:

...here abominable is meant for less reward, otherwise, the congregational prayer has its reward in any case...

"any case" means: whether you are traveler or not, Jamaat is better than Furada. but if you can participate in a Jamaat where the Imam is also a traveler, that would be better. so less rewarding in comparison to other kinds of Jamaat, not less rewarding in comparison to Furada. Jamaat is always better than Furada; but well there are different levels of Jamaat in terms of the piety and knowledge of the Imam, the state of being traveler, the location of Jamaat, the number of people and ...; these are all different levels of Jamaat with different scale of reward but any of them is better than Furada.

tnx again for remembering me in Mashhad. my heart is there now ...

Sign in to follow this