Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Why Everyone Hate Converts

Rate this topic

El Cid

• Advanced Member

Alekum Salam,

Lighten up you guys, this is obviously not to be taken literally, 

There are some good points though. 

I hope not. 

And that's about the end of it. Except if your a young, white, attractive female, then the marriage proposals start pouring in. 

I thought that's what everyone was supposed to do. 

I agree that's annoying. But I don't see how that's being a 'pushover'. A pushover is something like,

MashahAllah brother, you became muslim, now come to my  house and do my dishes for me (revert gets up and drives to the brothers house and does his dishes). 

Also there is a difference between new or recent reverts and more veteran ones. Mostly you are talking about the recent reverts, the veteran reverts have already 'blended' into a particular community and I have met many reverts who I didn't even know were reverts until months or sometimes years after I met them due to their very thorough blending into whatever community they reverted into. 

At the same time, recent reverts are in a much more precarious position vs. veteran ones. Many of them have been cut off from their family, lost their jobs, etc. So they are reaching out to any community that will accept them. Human beings (All humans being) need love, acceptance, and practical help (with things like food, housing, money, job, marriage) much more than they need a correct ideology and most, unless they are ideology driven primarily, will forgo the second in favor of the first, if they can't get both.

In these times, a big hazard for us Shia is that many times, these are Salafi communities, since they are the ones doing dawa mostly while our shia brothers and sisters are too busy to bother with them. So it shouldn't surprise you that many of the reverts to Islam in the US are Salafi, not because their ideology is correct, but because they have become the default option for new reverts.

IMO, the problem is that there are too many Shia brothers and sisters who actually are unwilling to go outside their comfort zone to help new reverts. InShahAllah this will change.  

Thanks Abu Hadi, and yes this topic was mostly about new converts and why they wonder people don't like them very much. Phases like "Super Muslim" do apply to them. Ofcourse, not veteran converts because they overcome these stages gradually.

• Veteran Member

El cid , why do you say i am making an emotional reply post without thinking ? I read your first post as well as the other posts.. i always think before posting

Maybe you didnt understand what i posted ?

I said we should not hate converts if the wives of the prophets were convert.

It's nice to see that you've given up your old ways which are believed to be damaging your soul, but it doesn't mean you become over passionate about Islam either, going on all extremes and lows. Running away to join Hawza in Iran, a country which you know nothing about as an ordinary westerner. Freaking out on the very mention of a sin and falling quickly into judgement of another person's character when he is either confessing or looking for advice on the matter. Mentioning the events of Karbala and lives of the Imams(a.s) in topics and conversations which don't even have any link to the latter. Having a "More holy than an Ayotallah" mentality in some cases and lecturing people about the religion at every turn even though you're still learning and have alot to research. That's like someone joining a new game and lecturing a veteran player on how to quickscope with a sniper rifle. How do you expect people to like you if you're trying to be Super Muslim on a sugar rush?

Super Muslim pictured below:

(wasalam)

1- Please explain to me whats the problem with a convert going to study Hawza In iran? whats wrong in the term of "passion" does this mean? Is there are negative to such? do you call this a type of extremism? Do you condemn those who commit such? If so: explain why and on what premises do you believe in this.

(wasalam)   

• Advanced Member

El cid , why do you say i am making an emotional reply post without thinking ? I read your first post as well as the other posts.. i always think before posting

Maybe you didnt understand what i posted ?

I said we should not hate converts if the wives of the prophets were convert.

Anyone who outright brings it to the wives of the Prophet, Imams etc is seen as making an emotional post when you feel threatened and bring up holy figures which no one can comment on. And like I said, We shouldn't hate converts. The point of the topic was to show new converts why people may feel annoyed by them as I mentioned the reasons why. 

Anyone who outright brings it to the wives of the Prophet, Imams etc is seen as making an emotional post when you feel threatened and bring up holy figures which no one can comment on. And like I said, We shouldn't hate converts. The point of the topic was to show new converts why people may feel annoyed by them as I mentioned the reasons why. 

That is your personal opinion and does not apply to a Shia population. (hasty generalization).Being overwhelmed by an emotion from a belief does not differ from being overwhelmed by other subjects e.g, Science, art, Poetry, theater, etc...It is simply a matter of interest, and subjective by him/her and their social circle they are surrounded by. 

(wasalam)

• Advanced Member

Yes i know what was your intention by posting the topic.

I was not teaching you that we should stop the hate. I was actually supporting you and poiting out what the community should do.

Its okay, you misunderstood me

Yeah, I misunderstood. I felt like you were saying that as a reflection of my post LOL apologies.

• Veteran Member

One thing I do hate, however, is the term "revert". Please let that word die. I am a convert.

Yeah, 'revert' implies the person was Muslim, apostatised, and then converted back to Islam at a later time.

'Convert' simply means the person left his former beliefs, or non-belief, and accepted Islam.

Words should be defined for their accepted and proper meanings not through ideological lenses.

• Moderators

Salam, 

It might imply that, but the term revert is the correct term because to revert is to go back to what you were originally.

We believe we were all born on the deen of Islam, it is our families, communities, and societies that make us something else.

so to go back to the deen you were born into is to revert. 

But either term is o.k., IMO. I don't want to be 'one of those' annoying reverts. 

• Advanced Member

Salam, 

It might imply that, but the term revert is the correct term because to revert is to go back to what you were originally.

We believe we were all born on the deen of Islam, it is our families, communities, and societies that make us something else.

so to go back to the deen you were born into is to revert. 

But either term is o.k., IMO. I don't want to be 'one of those' annoying reverts. 

No, we are born upon fitrah and then go from there. Fitrah is not the same thing, it has inclinations towards Islam, but it is not Islam.

• Veteran Member

I think some born Muslims feel threatened by the fact that some new converts are more practicing than they are, or would even like to be.

I do think some converts are completely unrealistic in their expectations of what most Muslims are like though, which may initially lead them to be 'pushovers' as El-Cid put it, and then to become very disillusioned.

• Veteran Member

Treat them nicely> they get offended

treat them like borne muslim and haram police them > get offended

ignore them > get offended

teach them to pray > get offended

give them a book by ayatollah> get offended

call them converts> get ofended

call them reverts> get offended

call them ex christians> get ofended

argue with them by bringing english material > get offended

argue with them by bringing arabic material> get offended 

dont argue with them but have a nice chat> get offended

talk about culture> get offended

talk about races> get offended

talk about politics> get offended

talk about cloths> get offended

Oh well, the only safe non offensive topic and event that noon should be offended by is FOOD.

• Advanced Member

Treat them nicely> they get offended

treat them like borne muslim and haram police them > get offended

ignore them > get offended

teach them to pray > get offended

give them a book by ayatollah> get offended

call them converts> get ofended

call them reverts> get offended

call them ex christians> get ofended

argue with them by bringing english material > get offended

argue with them by bringing arabic material> get offended 

dont argue with them but have a nice chat> get offended

talk about culture> get offended

talk about races> get offended

talk about politics> get offended

talk about cloths> get offended

Oh well, the only safe non offensive topic and event that noon should be offended by is FOOD.

I don't think that is reality at all to be honest. Not everyone is like that on everything. I think this thread is based on stereotyping. Soo many con/reverts are willing to learn, ask questions, tell their story's and are generally much more enthusiastic then we are. imagine how people who did convert feel when they read all of this? most of it wouldn't even apply to them. We are supposed to be encouraging them, assisting them. Not making some lame thread to add to the million struggles they may already be facing due to their con/reversion! 

• Veteran Member

I don't think that is reality at all to be honest. Not everyone is like that on everything. I think this thread is based on stereotyping. Soo many con/reverts are willing to learn, ask questions, tell their story's and are generally much more enthusiastic then we are. imagine how people who did convert feel when they read all of this? most of it wouldn't even apply to them. We are supposed to be encouraging them, assisting them. Not making some lame thread to add to the million struggles they may already be facing due to their con/reversion! 

see. In many communities, the stereotyping is said to lighten up the situation. In other communities, it is really offensive.

• Advanced Member

see. In many communities, the stereotyping is said to lighten up the situation. In other communities, it is really offensive.

Stereotyping often stands on negative grounds. It can make life difficult for people too. E.G all shias are kafir. People run away because of these stereotypes.  :no:. The first post is criticising con/reverts. On top of the the title "why everyone hate converts" puts you off straight away as it  has no positive light to it. 

Edited by 786repenting