Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Masjid Al-Nabawi - Proposed Destruction

Rate this topic

• Veteran Member

(salam)

l\Iote: I selected this sub-forum so automatic review by the Mods is in effect. If I made the wrong choice, my apologies and you may move it.

As I first heard at 2120EDT BBC News, The Independent and other papers are reporting that a plan is "on" to move the Prophet's  (pbuh) grave.

A search point I read said, "to al-Baqi".

Abu Bakr (ra) and Umar (ra) are also buried their.

• Forum Administrators

I've moved this to another forum. I see no reason why it should be restricted to Thinker's Discourse.

In terms of my own 2p to this news. 

1. It's across a number of different media channels, so likely a true story.

2. It's not a surprising story since we know that the Wahhabis are the enemies of the Ahlulbayt (a.s.)

3. It forces mainstream Sunnis to choose between Islam and Saudi money.

4. Effect on Islam? I note that they've only got round to doing them after the invention of the camera, GPS and other technologies that will prevent eradication of knowledge of early Islam.

• Advanced Member

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudis-risk-new-muslim-division-with-proposal-to-move-mohameds-tomb-9705120.html

Edit:MODs/Admins, There Is already a thread dealing with same issue so please delete this one.

Edited by jean_valjean

Saudis consider demolishing Prophet Mohammad’s tomb

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2014/09/02/377437/saudis-consider-destroying-prophets-tomb/

this is is it, if no one in world will react to this, I alone will react and do what ever I can Inshallah

I really hope this is all false alarm and not a serious proposal.

• Advanced Member

The sunni arab comments in news sites are more surprising. They are against the timing. They say that at these times we need unity and we do not need to make people more angry from us or open a controversial topics like the presence of prophet's grave within the prophet's mosque...

So, no. You won't be hearing about massive aggressive protests. They subconsciously do not disagree on removing the prophet's grave to Baqee or making it a WC outside the walls of the mosque.

They just think that this is not the right time to do it.

• Veteran Member

One of Islam’s most revered holy sites – the tomb of the Prophet Mohamed – could be destroyed and his body removed to an anonymous grave under plans which threaten to spark discord across the Muslim world.

The plans, brought to light by another Saudi academic who has exposed and criticised the destruction of holy places and artefacts in Mecca – the holiest site in the Muslim world – call for the destruction of chambers around the Prophet’s grave which are particularly venerated by Shia Muslims.

The 61-page document also calls for the removal of Mohamed’s remains to the nearby al-Baqi cemetery, where they would be interred anonymously.

Dr Alawi, director of the Islamic Heritage Research Foundation, told The Independent: “People visit the chambers, which are the rooms where the Prophet’s family lived, and turn towards the burial chamber to pray.

“Now they want to prevent pilgrims from attending and venerating the tomb because they believe this is shirq, or idolatry. But the only way they can stop people visiting the Prophet is to get him out and into the cemetery.”

Several pages of the consultation document have just been published in the presidency’s journal. They call for the destruction of the rooms surrounding the tomb – used by the Prophet’s wives and daughters, and venerated by the Shia because of their association with his youngest daughter, Fatima.

The document also calls for the Green Dome, which covers the tomb and these living quarters, to be removed, and the ultimate removal of the Prophet’s body to a nearby cemetery.

The al-Baqi cemetery already contains the bodies of many of the Prophet’s family, including his father who was removed there in the 1970s, Dr Alawi said. In 1924 all the grave markers were removed, so pilgrims would not know who was buried there, and so be unable to pray to them.

“The Prophet would be anonymous,” Dr  Alawi added. “Everything around the Prophet’s mosque has already been destroyed. It is surrounded by bulldozers. Once they’ve removed everything they can move towards the mosque. The imam is likely to say there is a need to expand the mosque and do it that way, while the world’s eyes are on Iraq and Syria. The Prophet Mohamed’s grave is venerated by the mainstream Sunni, who would never do it. It is just as important for the Shia too, who venerate the Prophet’s daughter, Fatima.

Full here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/saudis-risk-new-muslim-division-with-proposal-to-move-mohameds-tomb-9705120.html

• Advanced Member

I read about this a few hours ago...I'm in shock:(

i knew they were destroying heritage sites, but this is seriously the limit...next thing they might say is "Let's destroy Ka'aba also" (Nauzobillah) coz Hazrat Ali as was born there...

or more likely because we all face towards that direction to pray, and they don't want Muslims to feel like they are praying TO a stone...

Allah swt knows best what they will do and how they think...

but don't know what to expect from them anymore...

• Veteran Member

(salam)

I don't think they will touch the Prophet's (pbuh) grave.

Here are also two comments I read on Facebook:

From Yasir Qadhi:

The recent bogus article in 'The Independant' regarding the alleged plan to move the blessed grave of the Prophet (SAW) is another sad indication of how sensationalist media can be.

Firstly, this particular newspaper, and especially the journalist Mr. Jerome Taylor, seems to have an unnatural obsession for smearing the Saudis and their relationship with the Holy Sites. See this brief history:

2011- http://t.co/c9fjNaSQKV
2012- http://t.co/hcaWIbzZE8
2013- http://t.co/Joad5uuCws
2014- http://t.co/Kywt5DHL20

Secondly, the alleged 'plan' turns out to be an academic paper submitted to a government committee. Anyone who is aware of the nature of these things realizes that the submission of a paper is in no way, fashion, or form approval of an actual plan by that committee!

Thirdly, the paper itself does not actually state that the blessed grave should be touched. No sane Muslim would ever suggest that. Rather, what it suggests is that the masjid itself should be replanned in the new construction so that the blessed grave would be outside of the new masjid boundaries. So, what the author suggested was to change the boundary of the masjid, not that of the grave.

Fourthly, this view is a minority view and has been soundly rejected by mainstream Salafi and all non-Salafi scholars. Historically, there has never been any serious opposition to the Umayyad inclusion of the blessed grave into the Prophet's masjid (which occurred in 88 AH), and no major scholar of any madhhab has ever called for the Prophet's (SAW) masjid boundaries to be redrawn.

Lastly, this is NOT a defence of Saudi construction policy around the two Harams: that topic requires an entire article, not just a FB post! There is much to criticize, and yes much to praise as well.

The purpose of this post was merely to point out how sensationalist the media continues to be, and how easily Muslims seem to *want* to demonize another group. And help is sought from Allah alone!

From Mehdi Hasan:

Some people are upset with me for posting The Independent article on alleged Saudi plans to 'move' the Prophet's tomb in Medina.

1) To be clear, I posed a question, and didn't state it as fact. And the article itself, which quotes a respected and informed source, includes the balancing line: "There is no suggestion that any decision has been taken to act upon the plans."

2) Perhaps some of you exp
ressing outrage at me should aim some of that outrage at the verifiable destruction of Islamic sites in Makkah and Medina by the Saudi authorities over the past few decades, not to mention the abuse of human rights in the Prophet's place of birth. That's not media speculation; that's historical fact.

3) I'm almost amused to see so many Muslims willing to give the Saudis the benefit of the doubt over the Prophet's grave, and condemn 'alarmism', but those same Muslims get so worked up over Danish cartoons of the Prophet and believe all sorts of internet urban legends about various nefarious western countries caricaturing the Prophet. How about we worry more about what people and governments in our own 'ummah' are doing to damage the Prophet's physical, intellectual and moral legacy?#justsaying

Edited by Ibn al-Hussain
  • Veteran Member

None can. Such attempts have failed all along our history. In fact, to be honest, I would like the Saudi fools to only just intend so that they attract the destructive brunt of divine wrath upon themselves.

• Unregistered

I am not that knowledgable, but I think this idea of divine intervention, need to be analysed. We know from the Quran that when Kaaba was threatened, before Prophet Muhammad(pbuh ahp)  it was saved by divine intervention. After Prophet Muhammad(pbuhahp), Yazid ibn Muawiyah ibn Abu Sufyan, rampaged the city of Medina, and attacked Mecca and tried to burn the Kaaba down.

May be, when there were not enough Muslims, God intervened, and if the muslims allowed the Yazidi army to slaughter the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad(pbuhahp), after that he attacked medina and Mecca. I would say, It was a test for the Muslims. They failed.

If anything like this happens today, not sure if God will intervene,(But Only God knows best) we may be using this as an excuse to say, we are to busy with our sweat pleasure to be involved with it.

This will be the ultimate Test for the Muslims.

Edited by S.M.H.A.
  • Forum Administrators

The city of Rome, for example, recently struck a preliminary agreement with Saudi Arabia to fund the restoration of the Mausoleum of Augustus.

• Advanced Member

Yet another wild accusation against Saudi Arabia that is little more than media sensationalism. 

First, this was just a research of an academic, not official state policy.

Secondly, they've officially rejected these claims and this proposition by this researcher:

http://www.okaz.com.sa/new/mobile/20140905/Con20140905721271.htm

This is an interesting post by Dr. Yasir Qadhi (who studied at the university of Madinah and used to be really Salafi but is more of a moderate now) on his Facebook page:

(repeated what brother Ibn al-Hussain posted because it was clearly overlooked)

"The recent bogus article in 'The Independant' regarding the alleged plan to move the blessed grave of the Prophet (SAW) is another sad indication of how sensationalist media can be. 

Firstly, this particular newspaper, and especially the journalist Mr. Jerome Taylor, seems to have an unnatural obsession for smearing the Saudis and their relationship with the Holy Sites. See this brief history:

2011- 
http://t.co/c9fjNaSQKV
2012- http://t.co/hcaWIbzZE8
2013- http://t.co/Joad5uuCws
2014- http://t.co/Kywt5DHL20

Secondly, the alleged 'plan' turns out to be an academic paper submitted to a government committee. Anyone who is aware of the nature of these things realizes that the submission of a paper is in no way, fashion, or form approval of an actual plan by that committee!

Thirdly, the paper itself does not actually state that the blessed grave should be touched. No sane Muslim would ever suggest that. Rather, what it suggests is that the masjid itself should be replanned in the new construction so that the blessed grave would be outside of the new masjid boundaries. So, what the author suggested was to change the boundary of the masjid, not that of the grave. 

Fourthly, this view is a minority view and has been soundly rejected by mainstream Salafi and all non-Salafi scholars. Historically, there has never been any serious opposition to the Umayyad inclusion of the blessed grave into the Prophet's masjid (which occurred in 88 AH), and no major scholar of any madhhab has ever called for the Prophet's (SAW) masjid boundaries to be redrawn. 

Lastly, this is NOT a defence of Saudi construction policy around the two Harams: that topic requires an entire article, not just a FB post! There is much to criticize, and yes much to praise as well.

The purpose of this post was merely to point out how sensationalist the media continues to be, and how easily Muslims seem to *want* to demonize 

----------------------

Me personally, there's so many legitimate things to criticize Saudi Arabia for, i don't know why people will twist facts and even make stuff up and then people (mostly Shias and even Sufis) spread those inaccurate stories and fables all over the internet and even believe that it's true.

There's so many legitimate things to criticize, i don't know why we always cling on to sensationalist rumors with little or even no basis in truth

يا أَيُّهَا الَّذينَ آمَنوا إِن جاءَكُم فاسِقٌ بِنَبَإٍ فَتَبَيَّنوا أَن تُصيبوا قَومًا بِجَهالَةٍ فَتُصبِحوا عَلىٰ ما فَعَلتُم نادِمينَ

[49:6] Saheeh International
O you who have believed, if there comes to you a disobedient one with information, investigate, lest you harm a people out of ignorance and become, over what you have done, regretful.

And Allah(swt) knows best
Edited by ImamAliLover
  • Basic Members

Asalam Alaikum,

if they can close the way of Zam Zam, destroy his own children's shrine then there is nothing stopping them!

they can do it, I donnt think they will be able to though.

they will be bringing hell onto themselves.

if anything of the sort happens, they will have the Muslims united against them

Salam