Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Rate this topic

(salam)

I have been listening to some lectures and somehow i ended up watching this video:

The verse that Hassanain talked about says that everything is created from water, to which the Atheist replied by saying that Thales has said this 2500 before. 

This caused some doubt in my heart, i know that this could be answered but i dont know where to find the answer.  :donno:

On 8/7/2014 at 7:42 PM, Muhammed_Ali_Hussein said:

(salam)

I have been listening to some lectures and somehow i ended up watching this video:

[Mod Note: The video was removed to shorten the length of this quote.]

The verse that Hassanain talked about says that everything is created from water, to which the Atheist replied by saying that Thales has said this 2500 before. 

This caused some doubt in my heart, i know that this could be answered but i dont know where to find the answer.  :donno:

Salamun alaykum.

I do not know what cause some doubt in your heart. What's wrong with it if both Quran and Thales have referred to the same fact?

Edited by ShiaChat Mod
Mod Note in the quote.

Actually, if everything is created from water.. then how about fire? i dont see any water in fire ?  I mean, how about shaytan , isnt he created out of fire only and not water? 

maybe the Quran meant ''oxygen'' ,  There is oxygen in water. Maybe the word ''maa2'' or ''water'' in ancient arabic litterature actually means Oxygen. 

Actually, if everything is created from water.. then how about fire? i dont see any water in fire ?  I mean, how about shaytan , isnt he created out of fire only and not water? 

maybe the Quran meant ''oxygen'' ,  There is oxygen in water. Maybe the word ''maa2'' or ''water'' in ancient arabic litterature actually means Oxygen. 

Salamun alaykum.

Some commentators have understood this verse to mean that the main source of life is water, and that the first living creatures have been made in the oceans. Some other commentators have taken the water here to be the spermatozoon which is the male reproductive cell or gamete, able to fertilize a female ovum.

Salamun alaykum.

Some commentators have understood this verse to mean that the main source of life is water, and that the first living creatures have been made in the oceans. Some other commentators have taken the water here to be the spermatozoon which is the male reproductive cell or gamete, able to fertilize a female ovum.

I was about to write that :) I found the tafseer in Al-Amthal.

Salamun alaykum.

There is a difference between the notion that the first principle of everything is water (and that everything may return back to it), and what the Quran says - "and made from water every living thing".

exactly .  The Quran states that ''and we made from water every living thing'' ..  That is supposed to mean that Jin has water inside him and Shaytan too ?

This is interesting. If hypothetically, people recognized that non prophets could have beliefs commonly believed to be given directly from God.  It could throw a spin on things. Because the question would arise of...how did they gain this belief?

Perhaps more people are "prophets" than we are aware of.

Nice post, its thought provoking. I do not think it should be a reason for doubt though. At most maybe a reason to ponder and reflect.

This is interesting. If hypothetically, people recognized that non prophets could have beliefs commonly believed to be given directly from God.  It could throw a spin on things. Because the question would arise of...how did they gain this belief?

Thales belief is not close to being scientific.

exactly .  The Quran states that ''and we made from water every living thing'' ..  That is supposed to mean that Jin has water inside him and Shaytan too ?

It may be safe to assume that what the Quran is speaking about is physical life as is normally accepted (support for this idea can be given by the fact that the Earth is being spoken about in the following verses). The Quran keeps things concise and we must have that in mind when reading it. E.g. would we expect the Quran to say: "all things living, except jinns, angels, souls, things in other universes etc"? If that isn't an acceptable answer then another solution could be the theory that verse 21:30 is speaking about rainfall (Heavens and Earth parting). Thus in context we would accept life to be all physical living things on Earth.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Thales belief is not close to being scientific.

I think this is beyond thales. There are and were, certainly great minds throughout history that have had ideas and beliefs that...we discover to be truth in modern times.  And not all are considered to be prophets. 

Could...hypothetically, non prophets do this? If so, how? Do they too recieve the message of God? Are they prophets themselves? There are hundreds of thousands spoken of in hadith after all. Or, are Prophets ideas, more common than believed?