Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
thuglife

Indians/bengalis/panjab: What Is Gondu / Gandu?

salam

What does the word "gondu" or "gandu" mean (pronounced gone do)?

This guy says it's Gandhi + Hindu = Gondu, apparently using it to refer to anyone who looks Indian or hindu and foreign, especially immigrants from that part of the world who came to the West.

Is it a racist word, a regional word or does it actually have meaning or what? There are a lot of Indian languages, so I might get several answers which is fine.

salam

Well it's a very vulgar word, a sexual word, and you ought not to be saying that to anybody. It means a man who lets another man enters him from the backside.

It doesn't mean what that guy said it meant. He's obviously making a fool of you.

urbandictionary.com

This site actually has the Gandhi+ Hindu defention:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gandu&defid=1603245

Well it's a very vulgar word, a sexual word, and you ought not to be saying that to anybody. It means a man who lets another man enters him from the backside.

It doesn't mean what that guy said it meant. He's obviously making a fool of you.

That's nasty. Look at the comment section of this video:

^ I can't tell if they're Native American Indian with the feathers, or Actual Indians from India (or one of the countries near India)

Surely, it has a different meaning? (Unless it's some kind of gay convention)

^

Scroll down the urban dictionary page and see what it means and how it is understood. The first meaning is unknown and not understood by Indians or Pakistanis.

Most of the definitions have more "thumbs down" than "thumbs up," and one with more up votes than down says "Despite certain claims, the word gandu has no connection with homosexuality. A gandu is not a homosexual man"

I don't know what to think. It must be a word of pride for the person to put that video up, right?

The video seems like a tribal dance of the indigenous peoples of India and it's a coincidence if it's called "gondo dance". It's unrelated to the vulgar word

Edited by Marbles

Most of the definitions have more "thumbs down" than "thumbs up," and one with more up votes than down says "Despite certain claims, the word gandu has no connection with homosexuality. A gandu is not a homosexual man"

I don't know what to think. It must be a word of pride for the person to put that video up, right?

Well, yes 'gandu' doesn't directly mean homosexual. It refers to an act which I mentioned in my first reply and that its literal meaning. But in actual usage the label is applied much widely and is taken to mean a whole lot of things.

Edited by Marbles

Well, yes 'gandu' doesn't directly mean homosexual. It refers to an act which I mentioned in my first reply and that its literal meaning. But in actual usage the label is applied much widely and is taken to mean a whole lot of things.

Are you ethnic Indian/Panjab etc? Can you guess why in the world would these people call the dance such a word if in general it's not a positive?

Edited by thuglife

Are you ethnic Indian/Panjab etc? Can you guess why in the world would these people call the dance such a word if in general it's not a positive?

The vulgar word is used in Hindi/Urdu/Punjabi etc; it's a word understood in North Indian vernaculars and in the languages of what is now Pakistan. It's not understood in the rest of India. The indigenous tribals as well as peoples of Southern India have their own languages where this word is not known. For them this word means something different.

Gondu ≠ Gandu

Bengalis turn the 'a' sound into 'o'. It's how they speak. Like the Iranians do.

This guy says it's Gandhi + Hindu = Gondu, apparently using it to refer to anyone who looks Indian or hindu and foreign, especially immigrants from that part of the world who came to the West.

Not correct.

Not at all.

Is it a racist word, a regional word or does it actually have meaning or what? There are a lot of Indian languages, so I might get several answers which is fine.

It is not a racist word.

It  is a very rude and unspeakable swear word. 

Make sure you never use it unless you want to die an early death at the hands of the person you call by that name.

What does the word "gondu" or "gandu" mean (pronounced gone do)?

The second of the two means "[Edited Out]ed up".

But, as far as I know, there is no word such as the first one in Hindi, Urdu or Punjabi.

But may be it is the Bengali equivalent of the second because "a" is read as "o" in Bengali. 

There are 20+ languages in India, they may share similar words with different meanings. People who speak Tamil in india cannot understand Hindi or urdu at all, but ill give you this example:

Ask an indian/paki to say "like this" in urdu. It will sound very similar to the english word "essay" but mean something completely different.

Or ask them to say "flower" in urdu and it will sound very similar to the word "pool" in english.

Or ask a Kashmiri to say "hug" and it kinda sounds like an American from the sounth saying "my two"

Edited by :Ruffles

He is just saying that the word is a very bad word.

Very very bad!

Very very very bad! 

Noun

Look what I found, an academic research article referring to "Gondu" tribes:

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/258218143_Ethno-botanical_Uses_of_Some_Plant_Roots_Used_By_Gondu_Tribes_of_Seethagondi_Grampanchayath_Adilabad_District_Andhra_Pradesh_India._R_Suman_Kumar*1_C_Venkateshwar1_G_Samuel2_and_S_Gangadhar_Rao1

I always thought of it as meaning dirty physically and dirty minded. Like if someone was to say something sexual disrespectfully, that person would be the g word.

So the gondu tribes from my previous post are a bunch of dirty people?

A wr wb

How does one repent after committing such sins and break the habit of giving bad words.In some communities, it is spoken of like an intimate word ,but it is definitely a bad word and not spoken.

Some ways to break such habit

A. Communicate less with such people who talk bad.

B. Talk with people who speak good.

C. If you can ,change the locality you live in,shift to better place so that children do not pick up bad habits.

D. make new friends with good decent people.

E.Leave those who are persistent in their sins.

F.listen to hamd,naat,nohay,so that you wan't to speak what you listen.Thus the outcome good.

A wr wb

How does one repent after committing such sins and break the habit of giving bad words.In some communities, it is spoken of like an intimate word ,but it is definitely a bad word and not spoken.

Some ways to break such habit

A. Communicate less with such people who talk bad.

B. Talk with people who speak good.

C. If you can ,change the locality you live in,shift to better place so that children do not pick up bad habits.

D. make new friends with good decent people.

E.Leave those who are persistent in their sins.

F.listen to hamd,naat,nohay,so that you wan't to speak what you listen.Thus the outcome good.

as wr wb

?

Your post makes no sense, and it appears you lack knowledge. This Indian researcher studied the plants used by "Gondu" tribes, so it's not exactly a bad word as you say it is.

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/258218143_Ethno-botanical_Uses_of_Some_Plant_Roots_Used_By_Gondu_Tribes_of_Seethagondi_Grampanchayath_Adilabad_District_Andhra_Pradesh_India._R_Suman_Kumar*1_C_Venkateshwar1_G_Samuel2_and_S_Gangadhar_Rao1

Advice before making a post:

A. Make sure you know what you are talking about.

B. Don't be condescending.

C. Keep in mind people may use words differently than you and have different definitions than you for a word.

D. People may see the world differently than you.

E. Seek closeness to Allah swt in all actions. (this is what we all strive for as Muslims.)

A wr wb

Nobody should feel insulted.Knowledge is knowledge,free for all,it was a general question about word gondu and gandu.Many Indians,mostly from Bombay urf Mumbai do really know the truth about the bad word gandu.This word is not brought to the vocabulary by me so do not blame me that I alone am taking the meaning to be a bad word.It is a bad word but may mean different in different languages like south Indian languages and African and Italian,somewhere on earth ,it may mean a recipe/ dish.Something that they eat.But the question is for Indians and so the answer appropriate.