Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Haydar Husayn

If You Enjoy Watching Bill Maher Then...

Rate this topic

you should be ashamed of yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL19V-DbUX4

You would think this would be obvious, but sadly there are many 'lefty' or 'liberal' Muslims who enjoy this kind of stuff, and turn a blind eye when he is criticising Islam or Muslims.

You would think this would be obvious, but sadly there are many 'lefty' or 'liberal' Muslims who enjoy this kind of stuff, and turn a blind eye when he is criticising Islam or Muslims.

It's more insults than criticisms. 

His views about Islam and Muslims is quite obvious, i don't know how any self respecting Muslim could possibly like him. 

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=902627093099110&set=vb.100000554824985&type=2&theater

Left and Liberal are not synonyms, please don't insult the left by associating it with mainstream liberalism.

I have not watched the vid as I don't have the speakers but Bill Maher is known for his anti-religious stance. He makes fun of Christianity as much as he does of Islam. There's nothing new. Apart from that the guy has a caustic wit, he is funny, you can't beat that :D

And not only left and liberal aren't synonymous but being at the Left is no guarantee of your sound views towards religion in general or towards a particular religious community.

By the way, given how much Muslims worldwide make a monkey of themselves with unusual and outrageous things coming into media rather very regularly, and not only due to religion-inspired terrorism, we Muslims ourselves make a lot of fun of fellow Muslims and criticise, heck condemn, other interpretations of Islam in the same vein an with the same gusto as a non-Muslim would. One only needs to look at what Shias write about Wahhabism. If Wahhabism is some form of Islam, which it is and is quite widespread, how can you stop non-Muslims from saying that Islam is an intolerant, fascistic, anti-women, backward religion. Because that's what Wahhabism is?

When you see those who mock Our signs, avoid them until they engage in some other discourse; but if Satan makes you forget, then, after remembering, do not sit with the wrongdoing lot. vi68

Certainly He has sent down to you in the Book that when you hear Allah's signs being disbelieved and derided, do not sit with them until they engage in some other discourse, or else you [too] will be like them. Indeed Allah will gather the hypocrites and the faithless in hell all together. iv140

mocking Allah's religions is the deepest level of filthiness and hell, only after committing a lot of sins your heart will be black enough to make fun about these divine matters or to enjoy listening to such trash:

Then the fate of those who committed misdeeds was that they denied the signs of Allah and they used to deride them. xxx10

Edited by mesbah

I have not watched the vid as I don't have the speakers but Bill Maher is known for his anti-religious stance. He makes fun of Christianity as much as he does of Islam. There's nothing new. Apart from that the guy has a caustic wit, he is funny, you can't beat that :D

By the way, given how much Muslims worldwide make a monkey of themselves with unusual and outrageous things coming into media rather very regularly, and not only due to religion-inspired terrorism, we Muslims ourselves make a lot of fun of fellow Muslims and criticise, heck condemn, other interpretations of Islam in the same vein an with the same gusto as a non-Muslim would. One only needs to look at what Shias write about Wahhabism. If Wahhabism is some form of Islam, which it is and is quite widespread, how can you stop non-Muslims from saying that Islam is an intolerant, fascistic, anti-women, backward religion. Because that's what Wahhabism is?

I've you watched the clips you would see he actually praises Jews, at least implicitly if not directly. So its not an attack on religions per say, rather religions he doesn't like - which is something to thinkm about. 

The point about Muslims making idiots of themselves is irrelevant, the post is about disliking a person(s) who speak of Muslims in such derogatory ways. If you watch the video i posted it answers your latter points. Also, general Muslims are not cause for this image. Salafism is not the majority sect yet, although getting there. It takes a few stupid Salafi leaders to cause a fuss and laymen followers - who exist in all cultures of all religion throughout the world and its history - follow pursuit and do as they are told too. The fact that these issues have not existed anymore among Muslims then they have in other religion (especially in the past) is further proof that it is no excuse to make fun of a whole populace of Muslims. 

I'm all for good and clean humor, heck i love satire and don't mind friendly fun making, but what this guy does is plain old insults. It is unacceptable. 

I also saw a clip of this bill maher idiot, he was mocking sistani and his website. 

May this pig rot in hell! So called Muslims who watch this guy and like him should be ashamed.

I agree. This is the video where he says that by the way:

(wasalam)

Aside from his nonsensical views on religion (which are shaped by his own twisted vision of what is true, not based on anything that mozlems are doing), he is just plain ignorant on every level.

His movie "Religulous" which was supposed to poke fun at religion, actually has so many factual inaccuracies of the religions it talks about that it's quite hilarious.

This guy is a joke and it's sad that you see anything redeemable in him.

His movie made fun of all religions including Christianity and Judaism. I think he admitted to being an Atheist but who knows.

I have tuned into his shows a few times and dont find him funny. I agree he is a smug, arrogant dimwit.

Come oooooooon, Marbles. Give me a break. The guy has no wit. He's just smug and arrogant. Even people who completely subscribe to his worldview admit this. And indeed that's why he's such a turnoff to so many people.

He's not just ignorant about religion, he's ignorant about everything.

He once said that Africa is the only place in the world where there is no real motivations for wars and wars happen for no reason. Yeah Bill, great insight. How can you take anyone seriously who thinks like that? Aside from his nonsensical views on religion (which are shaped by his own twisted vision of what is true, not based on anything that mozlems are doing), he is just plain ignorant on every level.

His movie "Religulous" which was supposed to poke fun at religion, actually has so many factual inaccuracies of the religions it talks about that it's quite hilarious.

This guy is a joke and it's sad that you see anything redeemable in him.

Actually I agree that Bill is an ignorant and arrogant chap. It's clear from the way he forms and airs his opinions not only of religions per se, which he's always against, but clearly bigoted opinions about whole groups of people based on his personal likes and dislikes.

Perhaps people are too outraged to receive his humour but sometimes I find him very funny when he's not talking about God and religion. His retorts against Sarah Palin and the neocon group for instance :D But it's been ages I bothered to run a search of his videos on YouTube, and I don't get the channel on my telly on which he appears so I don't really care which audience he panders to. But it's not me.

Edited by Marbles

Actually I agree that Bill is an ignorant and arrogant chap. It's clear from the way he forms and airs his opinions not only of religions per se, which he's always against, but clearly bigoted opinions about whole groups of people based on his personal likes and dislikes.

Perhaps people are too outraged to receive his humour but sometimes I find him very funny when he's not talking about God and religion. His retorts against Sarah Palin and the neocon group for instance :D But it's been ages I bothered to run a search of his videos on YouTube, and I don't get the channel on my telly on which he appears so I don't really care which audience he panders to. But it's not me.

This is the whole point of the thread. Many people are happy to tune in as long as he is making fun of someone else, and just choose to ignore or downplay the times he insults Islam. However, I don't think Muslims should be laughing at, or even watching, an open enemy of Islam. He says he's against all religions, but you would never hear him talking about Jews in the way he talks about Muslims. And he openly says that Muslim culture is inferior to his culture. It is not just a religious thing.

This is the whole point of the thread. Many people are happy to tune in as long as he is making fun of someone else, and just choose to ignore or downplay the times he insults Islam. However, I don't think Muslims should be laughing at, or even watching, an open enemy of Islam. He says he's against all religions, but you would never hear him talking about Jews in the way he talks about Muslims. And he openly says that Muslim culture is inferior to his culture. It is not just a religious thing.

No, I don't think anyone should downplay his hatred for religions and Islam in particular and his bigoted, hateful opinions about Muslim peoples and culture, only because they like a line or two he said about something xyz. That would be foolish.

I doubt there are any muslims or even sensible non muslims who applaud this lunatic.  Most people are more interested in the guests he brings to the show, because unlike other mainstream hosts, he does bring a lot of very interesting people to the show that get almost 0 airtime anywhere else.

Some examples are Glen Greenwald Richard Wolff and even Chomsky this one time.  Greenwald took him to task and that video went viral on youtube.

The segment with Galloway and Hitchens was good too.

And not only left and liberal aren't synonymous but being at the Left is no guarantee of your sound views towards religion in general or towards a particular religious community.

I dont want to be the kind of guy who likes this and gives the appearance that I am anti Islam, but this is true.

I've you watched the clips you would see he actually praises Jews, at least implicitly if not directly. So its not an attack on religions per say, rather religions he doesn't like - which is something to thinkm about. 

The point about Muslims making idiots of themselves is irrelevant, the post is about disliking a person(s) who speak of Muslims in such derogatory ways. If you watch the video i posted it answers your latter points. Also, general Muslims are not cause for this image. Salafism is not the majority sect yet, although getting there. It takes a few stupid Salafi leaders to cause a fuss and laymen followers - who exist in all cultures of all religion throughout the world and its history - follow pursuit and do as they are told too. The fact that these issues have not existed anymore among Muslims then they have in other religion (especially in the past) is further proof that it is no excuse to make fun of a whole populace of Muslims. 

I'm all for good and clean humor, heck i love satire and don't mind friendly fun making, but what this guy does is plain old insults. It is unacceptable. 

Im just going to point out a key set of words in this statement.  "The fact that these issues have not existed anymore among Muslims then they have in other religion (especially in the past) is further proof that it is no excuse to make fun of a whole populace of Muslims."

Key words "especially in the past".

We are no longer living in the past.  We are living in the modern present day.  But not everyone is im afraid.

I am still wondering, what particular statements in this video are offensive?

Is it the comment about the nobel prize winners?  Which is, no offense to anyone in this chat, remotely true. The causes can certainly be debated, but the muslim world is...scientifically not...particularly on the forfront of discovery.

Is it...about hamas using civilians as human sheilds?  That also holds truth. They are storing weapons in, at the very least, schools. They arent being very transparent at all militarily. And I know this is nothing in comparison to airstrikes, but the random rockets at civilian locations are condemned by just about every nation on earth.

And, Bill is not pro judaism by any means.  But its not...untruthful when he says Jews have some really bright scientific minds, and specifically with respect to technology, they have many brilliant minds. Given their small population, theyre producing a great portion of modern scientific discoveries and advances.

And I am by no means pro Judaism.  But id say, Bills comments, though he is a media figure and his words are just as any other media figure, skewed.  They hold some truth.

Personally, I think the situation could be blamed on either side in many ways. I dont think anyone supports the bombing of locations where civilians are located. Likewise I dont think anyone supports Hamas either with their random rockets over the border.

Edited by iCambrian

Ah well at least he was refuted in that other episode with Reza Aslan. I wonder what other shtick they have about Hamas now that they cant use the human shields card. :D

...Oh yeah the 'indiscriminate' rocket attacks, jeesh I wonder what other option they have when their homemade rockets regularly sway from their intended target. Funnily enough by Israel's standards none of the adults in Israel are innocent civilians. :-)

Edited by Jahangiram

I couldnt watch all of it. He seemed to be saying that because Palestinians had Hamas representing them innocent people deserved to be slaughtered, but Israelis  werent to be held responsible for their choice of leaders, who have been persecuting and stealing land from Palestinians half a century. 'Go figure' as they say.

I dont want to be the kind of guy who likes this and gives the appearance that I am anti Islam, but this is true.

Im just going to point out a key set of words in this statement.  "The fact that these issues have not existed anymore among Muslims then they have in other religion (especially in the past) is further proof that it is no excuse to make fun of a whole populace of Muslims."

Key words "especially in the past".

We are no longer living in the past.  We are living in the modern present day.  But not everyone is im afraid.

I am still wondering, what particular statements in this video are offensive?

Is it the comment about the nobel prize winners?  Which is, no offense to anyone in this chat, remotely true. The causes can certainly be debated, but the muslim world is...scientifically not...particularly on the forfront of discovery.

Is it...about hamas using civilians as human sheilds?  That also holds truth. They are storing weapons in, at the very least, schools. They arent being very transparent at all militarily. And I know this is nothing in comparison to airstrikes, but the random rockets at civilian locations are condemned by just about every nation on earth.

And, Bill is not pro judaism by any means.  But its not...untruthful when he says Jews have some really bright scientific minds, and specifically with respect to technology, they have many brilliant minds. Given their small population, theyre producing a great portion of modern scientific discoveries and advances.

And I am by no means pro Judaism.  But id say, Bills comments, though he is a media figure and his words are just as any other media figure, skewed.  They hold some truth.

Personally, I think the situation could be blamed on either side in many ways. I dont think anyone supports the bombing of locations where civilians are located. Likewise I dont think anyone supports Hamas either with their random rockets over the border.

This has so many errors that you deserve a digital beating. Unfortunately im in bed now on my phone. Prepare for the storm tomorrow!!!

Im not so sure if there is anything to contest here.

Check this out

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/04/un-dragged-conflict-israel-hamas-gaza

Unless the reports are all false, and there are a large number of them from varying parties, Hamas is...fighting around the local civilian population, almost with this...hidden nature to them.  Underground tunnels as well. Its like theyre hiding amongst civilians.

Unless there is disagreement over what religions are producing more scientific research.  But even this, we are all well aware of what nations and what religions are...in a general sense, on the for front of modern science.  Yes, its great that Iran is a developing nation with a great excelleration in its research.  But its speed is still...its a very small fraction with relation to other nations of the world.

I am not sure if anyone disagrees with what I am saying above...

And I would not want to give the impression that I am pro Israel. But, this was my impression of the original youtube clips message.

The second video there, that was a bit over the top. There was a lot of generalization going on in there. At one point the prime minister relates the Irani government to the attacks on the twin towers and radicals such as the ISIS.  But really theyre like the complete opposite. Though, the average viewer probably wouldnt be able to differentiate wahabi scholars and Shia Scholars. That seemed like a horrible interview.

Edited by iCambrian

There's everything to contest, shooting from near homes and schools is not synonymous with using 'human shields'. Thankfully Reza Aslan in his last ordeal with Bill Maher directed him to the amnesty report which said there was no proof Hamas used human shields. Gaza has no tanks, navy, airforce or any formal military. Where do you expect them to fight? Gaza is one of the most densely populated areas in the world.

Edited by Jahangiram

Bill is pretty critical of American wars and other neocon policies but ironically when it comes to Israel he's just like all the others Israeli apologists out there, clinging to flimsiest of excuses and sometimes reversing the whole logic. [it's Hamas that puts civilians in danger by basing itself near schools and hospitals. It's not the Israeli missiles raining in from the sky that put the lives in danger!] You can figure out his views easily when you realise his mother was a Jewess and by Jewish definition he, too, is one, despite him being an avowed atheist. Jews don't mind atheism as long as your mother if Jewish, it seems.

But the most important thing remains unmentioned. That Israel has been occupying Palestinian lands for almost half a century and is expanding itself into Palestinian territories. Palestinians fighting back Israel is just the same as any occupied people fighting for their freedoms from the European colonialists. Whether you like Hamas or not, whether you like any other Palestinian fighting group or not, but you can't dismiss their right to fight. This is the line of Muslims in particular Palestinian need to propagandize. The rest is just circumstantial bickering and leads nowhere.

Perhaps they shouldn't be fighting with weapons to begin with.

I think Hamas is a poor representation of Islamic leadership and I don't think their leadership or methods of fighting will do anything good for the Palestinians.

I suppose time will tell.

Edited by iCambrian

Perhaps they shouldn't be fighting with weapons to begin with.

I think Hamas is a poor representation of Islamic leadership and I don't think their leadership or methods of fighting will do anything good for the Palestinians.

I suppose time will tell.

So what should they do then? Just roll over and let Israel do what they want? If Hezbullah hadn't fought back, then Israel would still be in Lebanon.

Bill is pretty critical of American wars and other neocon policies but ironically when it comes to Israel he's just like all the others Israeli apologists out there, clinging to flimsiest of excuses and sometimes reversing the whole logic. [it's Hamas that puts civilians in danger by basing itself near schools and hospitals. It's not the Israeli missiles raining in from the sky that put the lives in danger!] You can figure out his views easily when you realise his mother was a Jewess and by Jewish definition he, too, is one, despite him being an avowed atheist. Jews don't mind atheism as long as your mother if Jewish, it seems.

But the most important thing remains unmentioned. That Israel has been occupying Palestinian lands for almost half a century and is expanding itself into Palestinian territories. Palestinians fighting back Israel is just the same as any occupied people fighting for their freedoms from the European colonialists. Whether you like Hamas or not, whether you like any other Palestinian fighting group or not, but you can't dismiss their right to fight. This is the line of Muslims in particular Palestinian need to propagandize. The rest is just circumstantial bickering and leads nowhere.

It's not really even colonization, though.

Israel doesn't want to govern over Palestinians, neither as citizens nor as subjects. The very existence of Palestinians is a problem for them. This is why we can't really talk about Palestine within the framework of colonizer and colonized.

I think the closest historical parallel we have is fascism. These people (Zionists) believe that God gave them that land; so of course, anyone else laying claim to it is going against God's will and is thus, OK to kill. There is a need for constant expansion, as well as a belief in their own superiority as a people. But in spite of all the expansion, there is no real plan for what to do with the people within these lands. Sometimes they exterminate, sometimes they use them as labor. Sometimes they openly use racist rhetoric, sometimes they pander to the idea that they make the lives of these people better. This is fascism.

When Germany conquered Ukraine, they tried to play off of people's prejudices and propagate the idea that they freed the people from the Russian yoke. And at the same time they burned over a thousand villages to the ground (with all of their inhabitants).

Colonizers are oppressive, sure, but they tend to do a far better job of using local authorities to enforce their will. This is the case for every successful colonial/imperialistic power. Fascists, on the other hand... just kind of wing it.