Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Haji 2003

Kufic Script

Rate this topic

I found this site where you can try out making Kufic script:

http://www.qcalligraphy.com/inside/kufi_murabba/

I had a go with the name Maryam. Does it work in terms of the Arabic and design-wise? 

post-6473-0-10777900-1407088688.png

Edited by Haji 2003

Thanks. Any suggestions for making it intelligible?

I tried searching one for Maryam, but they are all pretty hard to make out at first look. It'd be better if you had the dots for the ي IMO.

I think this one has Maryam in the top right corner:

bfdba01c3bec939e2e50d5a9f6617280.JPG

Edited by Jaabir ibn Hayyan

This is Maryam in regular Kufi script. If you want a square Kufi script then it is best to contact a calligrapher specially if you are planning to turn it to pendant or earrings

https://facebook.com/h.a.almet/photos/pb.214394882004399.-2207520000.1407230114./259095707534316/?type=1&source=42

Thanks for this. Facebook is not opening up for me at the moment, I'll see if my wife can find it via her account.

Well spotted with what I intended to do with it!

If anyone reading this thread can recommend a calligrapher, I'd be interested.

18 minutes ago, Jaabir said:

I could probably make something a tad better, but would take a bit too long and way more effort than this one.

If you're interested I have Paypal and you can message me.

19 minutes ago, Jaabir said:

It's been 5 years but sadly my answers have remain unchanged. I tried searching for it once again but once again unsuccessfully. I tried to make what I could myself from the old photo I posted and made this not-so-appealing piece:

Thanks for reminding me. I had a faint recollection of that website, but did not remember our conversation, sorry.

Yeah beautiful, isn't it? ^^ Always loved kufic script.  Maybe I will get one for myself, though with my rather long name I am not sure if would be possible. 

2 hours ago, Jaabir said:

I posted and made this not-so-appealing piece

Maryam tried to see if Zahra would fit in the space, but it doesn't appear to (is this the correct formulation btw?).

429884385_Screenshot2019-08-25at19_10_30.png.de9fa1278826b42b0f6c5aed3c3ad0b2.png

17 hours ago, Haji 2003 said:

Maryam tried to see if Zahra would fit in the space, but it doesn't appear to (is this the correct formulation btw?).

That one looks nice and easy to read.

I wasn't able to find anything for a single Zahra but I found a fourfold Zahra (which looks quite similar to the one you made). Maybe you could play around with it and insert only one of the names into the empty space in the Maryam one. Try to make it more in the shape of a square so it fits nicely in the space.

image.png.eef034c4d97a0d7a2e734a671c131381.png

A designer suggests the following adaptation, but Maryam prefers her own execution (above), what do you guys think?

03.PNG.e81bc0edef3a7b0e2f67f02d6d58d7b7.PNG

Wow, verrry nice. I can make out your niece's name and some 'Ali' s. Are you going to get these made into jewellery? If possible do share with me how they turn out.

P.S I might request Maryam to make a design for Auntie starlight, if it isn't too much work.

1 minute ago, starlight said:

Wow, verrry nice. I can make out your niece's name and some 'Ali' s. Are you going to get these made into jewellery? If possible do share with me how they turn out.

P.S I might request Maryam to make a design for Auntie starlight, if it isn't too much work.

You should also be able to see a Zahra and Sakina.

Edited by Haji 2003

2 minutes ago, starlight said:

Are you going to get these made into jewellery? If possible do share with me how they turn out.

I've sent an email to a casting place to see what they say, but it'll likely have to be a post-Muharram project. In the short-term I think we can have some (cheaper) fun with this. A rubber stamp can be done quite quickly and she can use different inks for books and things.

6 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

You should also be able to see a Zahra and Sakina.

Oh, Sakina, I made out very easily. Zahra...wait let me look

9 minutes ago, starlight said:

Of course anytime, just PM me if its anything personal.

On 8/28/2019 at 5:45 AM, Haji 2003 said:

@Jaabir this isn't breaking any rules is it? The way that the Zahra has been split up by the Maryam? Thanks.

The beauty of Khat al-Kufi is that there aren't many rules. Looks fantastic!

On 8/28/2019 at 8:51 AM, Haji 2003 said:

These people were quick and reasonably cheap. US$20.

IMG_1761.thumb.JPG.be6c0845fb6cf57810341210ab50227f.JPG

Is this the Maryam design I made in the other thread? I didn't think you would be interested in a design made by an amateur, but looks good nonetheless!

5 minutes ago, Jaabir said:

I didn't think you would be interested in a design made by an amateur, but looks good nonetheless!

We were discussing what to do about the empty space and this was Maryam's solution. Thanks for the suggestion.

The CAD designer came up with this option for a pendant. The CAD will then be used to make a wax mould and then the final piece can be made with bronze, silver or gold. But Maryam will now have to wait a couple of months!

f0ab2080-c605-4deb-8db9-7ce2e17a14a7.thumb.PNG.67983b306886510eb04aab0c02a780da.PNG

12 minutes ago, Haji 2003 said:

The CAD designer came up with this option for a pendant. The CAD will then be used to make a wax mould and then the final piece can be made with bronze, silver or gold. But Maryam will now have to wait a couple of months!

f0ab2080-c605-4deb-8db9-7ce2e17a14a7.thumb.PNG.67983b306886510eb04aab0c02a780da.PNG

Looks beautiful!