Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
Hazyn

Women Reply Salam

Rate this topic

(Salam)

Is it obligatory upon a woman to reply to a man saying 'Salam Alaykum' to her when she is alone, for example in an elevator, or is it better to remain quiet to prevent anything from escalating?

Please give references to fataaweh of maraajeh and please no feminists.

JazakAllah khair.

(Wasalam)

I also heard its wajib to reply to a Salam if it is said to you and you are the only one that can reply to it or if nobody else around u replies. About further escalating.........I don't know how much things can escalate on an elevator ride, plus even if it was in a different setting and the man is the one who is trying to get conversation, then it's simple to cut it off and reply after the salam is not mandatory, so I don't see how a reply to a Salam could escalate things if the woman doesn't allow it to escalate. 

Edited by katyushka

(salam)
(bismillah)

Taken from al-Hurr al-`Amili's Wasaa'il al-Shee`ah, vol. 20, pg. 234 - 235, chapter 131:

131 بَابُ أَنَّهُ يُكْرَهُ لِلرَّجُلِ ابْتِدَاءُ النِّسَاءِ بِالسَّلَامِ وَ دُعَاؤُهُنَّ إِلَى الطَّعَامِ وَ تَأَكُّدِ الْكَرَاهَةِ فِي الشَّابَّةِ
131 - Chapter on the dislike for a man to initiate a woman with salaam, and invite her to eat food, and the extreme dislike in (doing so to) the young women

25516 مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ يَعْقُوبَ عَنْ عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ [عَنْ أَبِيهِ‏] عَنْ هَارُونَ بْنِ مُسْلِمٍ عَنْ مَسْعَدَةَ بْنِ صَدَقَةَ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ قَالَ أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ ع لَا تَبْدَءُوا النِّسَاءَ بِالسَّلَامِ وَ لَا تَدْعُوهُنَّ إِلَى الطَّعَامِ فَإِنَّ النَّبِيَّ ص قَالَ النِّسَاءُ عِيٌّ وَ عَوْرَةٌ فَاسْتُرُوا عِيَّهُنَّ بِالسُّكُوتِ وَ اسْتُرُوا عَوْرَاتِهِنَّ بِالْبُيُوتِ
Mas`adah b. Sadaqah from Abi `Abd Allaah said, Amir al-Mu'mineen (as) said: 'Do not initiate the women with salaam, and do not invite them to eat food, for the Prophet (pbuh) said: 'Women are helpless and private,  so it should be covered their helplessness by privacy and cover their privacy with the homes (i.e. have them stay inside the home) 
Source:
al-Kulayni, al-Kafi, vol. 5, pg. 534 - 535, hadith # 1
Grading:
al-Majlisi graded this weak, but he didn't realize that Ibrahim b. Hashim was dropped from the chain, that is why other scholars such as al-Shaykh al-Ansari have authenticated this hadith as Muwaththaq (Reliable) in his Kitab al-Nikaah

25517 وَ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ يَحْيَى عَنْ أَحْمَدَ بْنِ مُحَمَّدٍ عَنْ مُحَمَّدِ بْنِ يَحْيَى عَنْ غِيَاثِ بْنِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع أَنَّهُ قَالَ لَا تُسَلِّمْ عَلَى الْمَرْأَةِ
From Ghiyath b. Ibrahim from Abi `Abd Allah that he said: 'Do not say salam upon the woman'
Source:
al-Kulayni, al-Kafi, vol. 5, pg. 535, hadith # 2
Grading: 
al-Majlisi said this hadith is Muwaththaq (Reliable)
--> Mir'at al-`Uqool, vol. 20, pg. 374

25518 وَ عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنْ حَمَّادِ بْنِ عِيسَى عَنْ رِبْعِيِّ بْنِ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع قَالَ كَانَ رَسُولُ اللَّهِ ص يُسَلِّمُ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ وَ يَرْدُدْنَ عَلَيْهِ- وَ كَانَ أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ ع يُسَلِّمُ عَلَى النِّسَاءِ وَ كَانَ يَكْرَهُ أَنْ يُسَلِّمَ عَلَى الشَّابَّةِ مِنْهُنَّ وَ يَقُولُ أَتَخَوَّف أَنْ يُعْجِبَنِي صَوْتُهَا فَيَدْخُلَ عَلَيَّ أَكْثَرُ مِمَّا طَلَبْتُ مِنَ الْأَجْرِ
From Rabi`ī b. `Abd Allāh from Abī `Abd Allāh (عليه السلام) said, the Messenger of Allāh (صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم) used to say salām to the women, and they would reply salām to him. And Amīr al-Mu’minīn (عليه السلام) used to say salām to the women, but he would hate to say salām to the young women from them. He (عليه السلام) would say, ‘I fear that their voices would attract me, and what enters me (this feeling) is more (harmful) than the reward I seek (for offering salām)'
Source:
al-Kulayni, al-Kafi, vol. 5, pg. 535, hadith # 3
Grading: 
al-Majlisi said this hadith is Hasan (Good)
--> Mir'at al-`Uqool, vol. 20, pg. 374

25519 مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ عَلِيِّ بْنِ الْحُسَيْنِ بِإِسْنَادِهِ عَنْ عَمَّارٍ السَّابَاطِيِّ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ع أَنَّهُ سَأَلَهُ عَنِ النِّسَاءِ كَيْفَ يُسَلِّمْنَ إِذَا دَخَلْنَ عَلَى الْقَوْمِ قَالَ الْمَرْأَةُ تَقُولُ عَلَيْكُمُ السَّلَامُ وَ الرَّجُلُ يَقُولُ السَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُمْ
From Abi `Abd Allaah that he was asked about women, how should they say salam, if she enters upon people. He (as) said: 'The woman says "`Alaykum us-Salaam'" (عَلَيْكُمُ السَّلَامُ) and the man says "as-Salaamu `Alaykum"' (السَّلَامُ عَلَيْكُمْ)
Source:
al-Saduq, Man Laa YahDuruh al-Faqeeh, vol. 3, pg. 470, hadeeth # 4637
Grading:
al-Majlisi I said this hadith is Muwaththaq (Reliable)
--> Rawdah al-Muttaqeen, vol. 8, pg. 523

(salam)
Edited by Nader Zaveri