Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
GreyMatter

Can I Get A Haircut While Fasting?

Rate this topic

Every year I pray Eid and have the Eid festivities with a hairstyle looking like a bird's nest, as I hear we cannot get a haircut while fasting.

I get a haircut just before the start of Ramadan, but my hair grows weird and gives the classic nest look right around Eid, and ofcourse, all hairdressers are closed due to Iftar being at 9:10 pm.

Could I get the reason why getting a haircut isn't allowed? 

Or if it is allowed, can I get scholarly opinion regarding it as well? 

Hope all your fasts are going great, and Eid Mubarak in advance.

Why wouldnt you be able to get a haircut?  Never heard of this. Im pretty sure there is no scholarly opinion on this matter because it isnt even a case. No matter how you look at it, cutting hair in no way voids a fast. Get your haircut.

(Wasalam)

I've heard similar stuff too - that women shouldn't get waxed or hair cut as well..and I think even eyebrows...I dismissed if after going through the lists and confirming that these weren't part of the things that break fasts....

And also used the logic that if men can shave, then why can't women do eyebrows - just doesn't make sense...

I'm not sure where this information is coming from..but this idea, or "fatwa" has been floating around for a while...

Maybe its one of those desi things? Not sure if the OP is desi, but that's where I heard it from..desi community person..

Edited by IFK

This comes from logic that each part of the body fasts.

It's certainly won't break fast but people say avoid shaving or haircut during the fast, though not in the month itself.

Haven't found any ruling on it.

Don't know where it originates from.

Thanks for clearing it up guys, i have just heard it from people around, so thought of posting it here. The idea is after the haircut a person feels quite relaxed, or runs a risk of getting cut by the blade, although rare but as a precaution.

Ofcourse it was a silly question, but then again it is encouraged to ask questions to make oneself clear, I now see there is nothing behind this, just a small cultural myth at best.

Do you understand where the ruling come from ? or

do you intended to make people confuse, or

do you try to give an impression about the religion of Islam with bad, unreasonable, insane, stupid etc ?

If not serious, then it must be taqiyya or pretend.

Keep your conspiracy theories to yourself next time and it will be better for you, otherwise it won't be good should I decide to rip your nonsensical posts all over ShiaChat to shreds  :)

Thanks for clearing it up guys, i have just heard it from people around, so thought of posting it here. The idea is after the haircut a person feels quite relaxed, or runs a risk of getting cut by the blade, although rare but as a precaution.

Ofcourse it was a silly question, but then again it is encouraged to ask questions to make oneself clear, I now see there is nothing behind this, just a small cultural myth at best.

Keep your conspiracy theories to yourself next time and it will be better for you, otherwise it won't be good should I decide to rip your nonsensical posts all over ShiaChat to shreds  :)

answer my question pls. if you do conspiracy, it is your business and you have responsible for it. never in my post about conspiracy.

Abdullah bin Jaffer humairi from the rivaayat of Ali bin Jaffer says that he (Ali bin Jaffer) asked his brother Musa bin Jaffer alaihis salaam 

whether a fasting person in the month of Ramadhan can cut his armpit Hair.

Imam Musa bin Jaffer Al Kazim alaihis salaam replied: Yes , there is no problem in it.

wasaail ush shia vol 7 topic 41 Page 87

Also in Bihaarul anwaar