Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Air Algerie Loses Contact With Plane Flying From

Rate this topic

• Advanced Member

Another plane has lost contact called Air Algerie.

Air Algerie has lost contact with an aircraft travelling from Burkina Faso in west Africa with a total of 116 people on board.

Aviation authorities said flight AH5017 disappeared from radar about 50 minutes after take-off from Ouagadougou, Algeria's state news agency reported on Thursday.

In a statement, Air Algerie said: "In keeping with procedures, Air Algerie has launched its emergency plan." It gave no further details.

The last contact Algerian authorities had with the aircraft was at 01.55am GMT when it was flying over Gao, Mali, an Algerian official said.

A diplomat in the Malian capital Bamako said that the north of the country was struck by a powerful sandstorm overnight. The BBC is reporting that UN troops in Mali believe the plane has come down between Gao and Tessalit.

The plane is operated by Air Algerie and chartered from Spanish airline Swiftair, who said 110 passengers and six crew are on board the MD83 aircraft. The French Transport minister Frederic Cuvillier told reporters there are "likely many" French nationals among them.

The company said in a statement posted on its website that the passenger jet took off from Burkina Faso at 01.17am and was supposed to land in Algiers at 05.10am but never reached its destination.

It said the six crew members include two pilots and four flight attendants.

Source;

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/air-algerie-loses-contact-with-plane-flying-from-burkina-faso-9625270.html

it literally seems to me that a lot of planes are disappearing and it is really awful to hear, recently it has been muslim one which was Malaysian and now Algerian.

• Veteran Member

Malaysian Jet, and then a turbuprop with 50 odd souls fell somewhere in Souteast Asia (Taiwan was it?) and now this Algerian jet. Planes are falling off the skies left and right. What's happening?

My family has a long haul flight in two weeks and I'm now scared.

• Veteran Member

(salam)

Malaysian Jet, and then a turbuprop with 50 odd souls fell somewhere in Souteast Asia (Taiwan was it?) and now this Algerian jet. Planes are falling off the skies left and right. What's happening?

My family has a long haul flight in two weeks and I'm now scared.

Just did a Dubai to Toronto flight yesterday - was hoping that it didn't fly over Ukraine  :rolleyes:.

The wreckage of an Air Algerie flight that crashed in a remote area of Mali early Thursday has been found, the country's President told other officials, according to Reuters.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/07/24/world/africa/air-algerie-flight/

Wassalam

Edited by Ibn al-Hussain