Sign in to follow this  
saberrider

Psychology In Islam ?

Rate this topic

Salam. Is psychology mentioned in Islam ? I know the term came way way later, but is this form of science hinted ? I mean, has it been reference in Quran or hadiths about talking or listening to problems of others (what a psychiatrist does) ?

I was at a conference a few years back where a Shaikh was discussing psychologists. Basically he was saying some people need to vent and it was ok unless they were in danger of being led astray. Many muslims already use sheiks as a councilor of sorts.  Psychology as a whole has been hit or miss and has changed popular views throughout the years. Obviously it's getting better. All that said, I've never heard of a hadeath or verse hinting at psychology. There are of course things written about insanity. Rulings dealing with addiction etc.   

There are of course things written about insanity. Rulings dealing with addiction etc.   

Brother Idris, (love your username, btw) can you share these here ? I would appreciate that. JazakAllah.

(salam)
(bismillah)

Muslims were very active in the science of Psychology. Generally, Psychology is translated in arabic to `ilm al-Nafs. According to Ibrahim Syed in his book Islamic Medicine: 1000 years ahead of its time, he claims that that the first psychiatric hospitals and insane asylums were built by Muslims in the Islamic empire in Baghdad in the year 86 AH. The books of Hippocrates were translated from Greek and Syriac into Arabic, but the two foremost and prominent Psychologists of the Muslim were were Ahmad b. Sahl al-Balkhi (236 AH - 322 AH) and Muhammad b. Zakariyyah al-Razi (226 - 322 AH).

According to Dr. Muhammad `Abd al-Hadi, he says this about Ahmad b. Sahl al-Balkhi:

أول من عالج موضوع الصحة البدنية- النفسية، وذلك في كتابه مصالح الأبدان والأنفس 
First person to handle the topic of treatment of the body and mental health, and that was in his book Masaalih al-Abdan wa al-Anfus

Muhammad b. Zakariyyah said in his book al-Tibb al-Roohani:
لا سبيل إلى مداواة نفس الإنسان العاقل بإزالة أمراضها إلا على أساس من التبصر والمعرفة بأمور هامة من القيم التي يعقلها الإنسان ويؤمن بها
There is no way to treating the human being's intellect by removing its sickness, except on the basis of perception and knowledge...

Masaalih al-Abdan wa al-Anfus is still extant today and can be read in Arabic, I haven't found an English translation of it though. If you would like to know more about al-Balkhi and his findings, there is a nice slideshow in English made that discusses al-Balkhi and his findings, click here. After al-Razi and al-Bakhi there were other philosophers who have dealt with the mind and body such as Ibn Sina in his book called al-Ishaaraat and al-Faraabi in his book called `Uyoon al-Masaa'il, al-Mawardi in his book  Adab al-Dunya wa al-Din, and Ibn Hazm in his book al-Akhlaaq wa al-Sayr fee Mudawaah al-Nafs(See: Dr. Muhammad `Abd al-Hadi, al-Sihah al-Badaniyyah al-Nafsiyyah fee al-Islam, volume 1)

(salam)

Edited by Nader Zaveri