Sign in to follow this  
y3qub

Hawza In Qom - How To Apply (Non-Iranian)

Rate this topic

Salam alaikum!

I am writing to you all for help and guidance about applying for a hawza. I respectfully ask that your replies be to the point, rather than discussing other topics with one another. I am not asking about finance, or issues there related; I am not asking about what subjects I will study, or which ones I should study beforehand. I do not require a discussion on whether Najaf or Qom is better. I simply ask for some help with the application process. 

I wish to apply to go study hawza in Qom in the near future. I have considered this for several years now, and it has weighed heavily on my mind. Thus, I have come to the conclusion that it is something I wish to pursue. I have had some friends try to talk me out of it, but I know it is something I want to do for myself and my religion.

My background: I am a 28-year old male revert from Melbourne, Australia. I won't go into my reasons for applying for hawza, except to say that I want to learn more and make that my life for the foreseeable future inshallah.

1. There are many hawzas, and it seems that Al Mustafa University is the one most mentioned for foreigners in Iran. Is this correct? Is this the institution to which I should apply?

2. It has been mentioned on this website that hawzas have a cutoff age, but it has also been mentioned that this is overlooked for students from Western countries. Is this true? Will my age be a deciding factor?

3. Once I submit all my paperwork, what is considered a standard application processing time? For example, universities in Australia generally take 4-5 months.

4. Is there anything I should be aware of once I have submitted it and, inshallah, I am accepted? Disregarding financial issues, are there any major points I should be concerned about that might impact on me getting into the hawza before I arrive in Iran? 

I thank anybody who replies to this very deeply. You're helping me to make what I hope is the best and correct change in my life. I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Thank you : )