Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
triploli

So...is Chess Haram Or Not?

Rate this topic

There seems to be an incredible amount of indifference between all Muslims on rulings of chess being haram or not. Can someone please for once, prove for once if it's allowed or not? Please include authentic Ayahs/hadeeths with references as well. 

Oh man, asking is something invented by shaytan haram...?

Why would Satan invent that? it was actually made by a Chinese guy over 2000 years ago

There seems to be an incredible amount of indifference between all Muslims on rulings of chess being haram or not. Can someone please for once, prove for once if it's allowed or not? Please include authentic Ayahs/hadeeths with references as well. 

you have to think for yourself, see its harm on yourself. 

My personal experience is that when I loss a chess game I lose a lot of self confidence. this isn't the same with other games.

When I win a chess I get boastful, also this isn't present in other games.

it is also a waste of time, that in itself is a loss.

So my opinion is that it is haram for me. now you have to think whether its affects are positive or negative for you, mentally physically and timely.

The pious people didn't invented it to waste time and forget Allah.

The pious also didn't invent the wheel or the watch or the car or any other useful gadget.

You also shouldn't work since it makes you forget Allah or watch television.

Edited by Sayed Faridoon Taha

Why would Satan invent that? it was actually made by a Chinese guy over 2000 years ago

My personal experience is that when I loss a chess game I lose a lot of self confidence. this isn't the same with other games.

So my opinion is that it is haram for me. now you have to think whether its affects are positive or negative for you, mentally physically and timely.

The pious also didn't invent the wheel or the watch or the car or any other useful gadget.

What can oppressed people invent?

One should work because Allah likes working muslims. No matter if you forget Him or not. Television was once educational, now not. 

What is the justification by saying the Chinese guy invented it over 2000 years ago. Musical instruments are even older and are still considered haram. And yes, musical instruments are also invented by shaytan and human hands.

edit: And you can't compare useless stuff to useful stuff. A wheel, a clock and a car are there to finish jobs, do required tasks, mostly for jobs to earn money. A clock shows you the time, to organize the life, but chess?

Edited by Omer-2708

One should work because Allah likes working muslims. No matter if you forget Him or not. Television was once educational, now not. 

What is the justification by saying the Chinese guy invented it over 2000 years ago. Musical instruments are even older and are still considered haram. And yes, musical instruments are also invented by shaytan and human hands.

edit: And you can't compare useless stuff to useful stuff. A wheel, a clock and a car are there to finish jobs, do required tasks, mostly for jobs to earn money. A clock shows you the time, to organize the life, but chess?

Chess sharpens the mind.

Not to mention how the prophet(s.a.w) and the imams(a.s) sharply criticized this game specifically, partly(or so it seems) due to it being played by Yazid b. Muawiyah while sitting by Imam Husayin(a.s)'s head, and it's time wasting and effects on attitude and emotions. It was also a gambling tool back then. 

Edited by Abe

Not to mention how the prophet(s.a.w) and the imams(a.s) sharply criticized this game specifically, partly(or so it seems) due to it being played by Yazid b. Muawiyah while sitting by Imam Husayin(a.s)'s head, and it's time wasting and effects on attitude and emotions. It was also a gambling tool back then. 

the whole yazeed thing is pointless, just because yazid did something doesn't mean it is haram. Yazeed also ate food and wore clothing, is that haram now since yazeed done it?

From your name I think you are Sunni and your "pious" have never been oppressed.

you also didn't understand what I meant, I was being sarcastic to prove a point to you, not everything is about remembering Allah, its good but its not true today for people, so there is no point in saying "chess is haram because it stops you from remembering Allah".

People will just move on and gamble using something else. If prohibiting gambling itself didnt stop them from gambling then it makes no sense to prohibit one game amongst countless others that could be used to gamble.

The hadiths prohibiting it are probably fabricated.

the whole yazeed thing is pointless, just because yazid did something doesn't mean it is haram. Yazeed also ate food and wore clothing, is that haram now since yazeed done it?

عيون أخبار الرضا (ع): ابن عبدوس، عن ابن قتيبة، عن الفضل قال: سمعت الرضا عليه السلام يقول: لما حمل رأس الحسين إلى الشام أمر يزيد لعنه الله فوضع ونصب عليه مائدة فأقبل هو وأصحابه يأكلون ويشربون الفقاع، فلما فرغوا أمر بالرأس فوضع في طست تحت سريره، وبسط عليه رقعة الشطرنج وجلس يزيد لعنه الله يلعب بالشطر نج ويذكر الحسين وأباه وجده صلوات الله عليهم، ويستهزئ بذكرهم فمتى قمر صاحبه تناول الفقاع فشربه ثلاث مرات ثم صب فضلته مما يلي الطست من الأرض فمن كان من شيعتنا فليتورع عن شرب الفقاع واللعب بالشطرنج، ومن نظر إلى الفقاع أو إلى الشطرنج فليذكر الحسين عليه السلام، وليلعن يزيد وآل زياد يمحو الله عز وجل بذلك ذنوبه، ولو كانت كعدد النجوم

Ibn 'Abdous, from ibn Katiba, from al-Fadhl, he said: I hear al-Rida(a.s) say: "When the ‘Sacred Head of al-Hussain came to Sham(Levant), Yazeed(l.a) used to ask his servants to lay a food-table over it and he used to eat food and drink wine with his friends over it and after finishing with the food and drink he would ask his servants to put Imam‘s ‘Sacred Head’ underneath his throne and ask for a chess table to be laid on this throne and start playing chess with his friends. Yazeed used to crack jokes and mock Imam Hussain’s father and grandfather while playing chess with his friends.  He would continue to drink wine while playing chess but after drinking three times (from his glass), he would pour down the remaining wine unto the floor, next to the wine pot. Therefore, our staunch followers would neither touch wine nor play chess and if one happens to see either of these he should better remember Imam Hussain and send ‘Laan’ on Yazeed and progeny of Ziad . For this, Allah will forgive all his sins even if they are more than the stars in the sky".

People will just move on and gamble using something else. If prohibiting gambling itself didnt stop them from gambling then it makes no sense to prohibit one game amongst countless others that could be used to gamble.

The hadiths prohibiting it are probably fabricated.

There are a number of Sahih hadiths prohibiting it. That can't be called "fabricated" because of your desires. 

OP

Brother, follow the opinion of your marja, not the opinions of lay people like us all on ShiaChat. 

“Religion is not based on one’s personal opinion; rather it is to adhere.”  - `Alī b. Abī Tālib  (Dastur Qadi al-Qada'i, 1.321)
Edited by Ali Musaaa :)

عيون أخبار الرضا (ع): ابن عبدوس، عن ابن قتيبة، عن الفضل قال: سمعت الرضا عليه السلام يقول: لما حمل رأس الحسين إلى الشام أمر يزيد لعنه الله فوضع ونصب عليه مائدة فأقبل هو وأصحابه يأكلون ويشربون الفقاع، فلما فرغوا أمر بالرأس فوضع في طست تحت سريره، وبسط عليه رقعة الشطرنج وجلس يزيد لعنه الله يلعب بالشطر نج ويذكر الحسين وأباه وجده صلوات الله عليهم، ويستهزئ بذكرهم فمتى قمر صاحبه تناول الفقاع فشربه ثلاث مرات ثم صب فضلته مما يلي الطست من الأرض فمن كان من شيعتنا فليتورع عن شرب الفقاع واللعب بالشطرنج، ومن نظر إلى الفقاع أو إلى الشطرنج فليذكر الحسين عليه السلام، وليلعن يزيد وآل زياد يمحو الله عز وجل بذلك ذنوبه، ولو كانت كعدد النجوم

Ibn 'Abdous, from ibn Katiba, from al-Fadhl, he said: I hear al-Rida(a.s) say: "When the ‘Sacred Head of al-Hussain came to Sham(Levant), Yazeed(l.a) used to ask his servants to lay a food-table over it and he used to eat food and drink wine with his friends over it and after finishing with the food and drink he would ask his servants to put Imam‘s ‘Sacred Head’ underneath his throne and ask for a chess table to be laid on this throne and start playing chess with his friends. Yazeed used to crack jokes and mock Imam Hussain’s father and grandfather while playing chess with his friends.  He would continue to drink wine while playing chess but after drinking three times (from his glass), he would pour down the remaining wine unto the floor, next to the wine pot. Therefore, our staunch followers would neither touch wine nor play chess and if one happens to see either of these he should better remember Imam Hussain and send ‘Laan’ on Yazeed and progeny of Ziad . For this, Allah will forgive all his sins even if they are more than the stars in the sky".

There are a number of Sahih hadiths prohibiting it. That can't be called "fabricated" because of your desires. 

So Allah will forgive me if I see wine and chess and remember hossein and send lanah on Yazid? so that means I can go and do all the sinful things and poof* all my sins forgiven?? this is very misleading.

I don't understand why you think that simply posting the arabic version of the hadith will make me accept it, again just because Yazid played chess, does not make it haram! Haram and Halal are differentiated by religion and its laws, yazid isn't something to base laws on, do you understand this or not? it is illogical to say chess is haram because yazid played it because yazid also rode horses and wore clothing and ate food, if you use the law "because yazid done it" then all those things yazid done should be haram. e.g. drinking, eating, sleeping, sitting, since he done all this when he killed the Imam.

Think for a second and try to use your Aql to see why chess and its being haram is illogical simply because yazid done it.

So Allah will forgive me if I see wine and chess and remember hossein and send lanah on Yazid? so that means I can go and do all the sinful things and poof* all my sins forgiven?? this is very misleading.

I don't understand why you think that simply posting the arabic version of the hadith will make me accept it, again just because Yazid played chess, does not make it haram! Haram and Halal are differentiated by religion and its laws, yazid isn't something to base laws on, do you understand this or not? it is illogical to say chess is haram because yazid played it because yazid also rode horses and wore clothing and ate food, if you use the law "because yazid done it" then all those things yazid done should be haram. e.g. drinking, eating, sleeping, sitting, since he done all this when he killed the Imam.

Think for a second and try to use your Aql to see why chess and its being haram is illogical simply because yazid done it.

I never once said that the only reason it is forbidden is that Yazid played it. If that was so, then why was it forbidden at the prophet's(s.a.w) time? But the hadith does mention that Allah will forgive your sins if you see people playing chess, and you remember Imam Husayn(a.s) and curse Yazid. Many prayers and du'as, narrated in "Mafatih al-Jinan" also state that if you do them, Allah will forgive all your sins, or forgive 40 years of sinning, and so forth. It is not misleading, because doing what it says does not definitely guarantee entry to heaven, but gives a glimpse of Allah(s.w.t)'s generosity and forgiveness. It clearly demonstrates the benefit of cursing Yazid, and comes to show how this game truly is despised by Allah, for more than one reason obviously, Yazid playing it while he was drinking, being one of them. 

(wasalam)

Edited by Abe

I believe the majority of marajas consider it haram, if perhaps that answers the question. I recall hearing that fadlallah said it was OK, but there are lots of things people say he said were OK.

I never heard that chess was used for gambling until I became Shia. Given that it's a strategy game with no chance involved I was surprised at its prohibition. Aside from Yazid I am not aware of any dark history. And as for wasting time- if that's the real reason why chess is haram then all games are haram, no?

I agree with Syed Faridoon Taha, Yazid did a lot of things that we do today that should be considered haram (eating,drinking,fighting in batt;e etc). 

Also, Ayatullah Sistani says ANYTHING that can be used for gambling is haram. So basically, if you placed bets on cricket, football or even UNO cards, do they become haram too?

I believe the majority of marajas consider it haram, if perhaps that answers the question. I recall hearing that fadlallah said it was OK, but there are lots of things people say he said were OK.

(salam)

He also issued fatwas that singing and music are both halal, depending on the meaning of the songs, or if it causes lewdness and rapture. How such a fatwa could be issued by any scholar is beyond me, when our imams(a.s) have said clearly, in many reports, that singing and music are haram(with, some minor exceptions of course). If you checked their reasoning for this verdict, you would be quite surprised also. Read what they say on their site: http://english.bayynat.org.lb/FiqhLaws/Fiqh_Music.htm

Edited by Abe

Chess in no way is HARAM. Things that are "Haram" Are mentioned in the Quran.

If people, or Scholars have said that this is Haram, It is based on their opinion, or if they claim that it makes the devil get to you somehow, or make you feel anyway evil towards your religion.. or any other reason...

Than Unless you experience and feel that way, dont play it.

When i play it, i just strategize and try to win the opponent.. I dont get why it would be haram.

Even if you claim, that it is as you are acting as a King or blah blah, killing soldiers,, then i can find away to tell you EVERYTHING you touch in life, or do in life is haram..

So lets be real

The pious people didn't invented it to waste time and forget Allah.

Ok, just like they created tv and computers and phones...

Very nice answer!! :) you read my mind.

OP

Brother, follow the opinion of your marja, not the opinions of lay people like us all on ShiaChat. 

“Religion is not based on one’s personal opinion; rather it is to adhere.”  - `Alī b. Abī Tālib  (Dastur Qadi al-Qada'i, 1.321)

What does Marja mean?

Also, Ayatullah Sistani says ANYTHING that can be used for gambling is haram. So basically, if you placed bets on cricket, football or even UNO cards, do they become haram too?

I highly doubt that. It would be a very far reach to label everything as a potential gambling tool. If that's what he meant, he would have taken the leap and directly issued the fatwa that soccer(football) is haram, but he never said that.

If people, or Scholars have said that this is Haram, It is based on their opinion, or if they claim that it makes the devil get to you somehow, or make you feel anyway evil towards your religion.. or any other reason...

Have a little respect for the scholars who are only abiding by the Sahih hadiths from the prophet and the imams. The only one using opinion here is you. And if a scholar is indeed using opinion, at least he's much more credible than you'll ever be. 

When i play it, i just strategize and try to win the opponent.. I dont get why it would be haram.

Religious rulings, my dear brother, don't come and go based on what you "get". :) If that was so, you could make almost anything halal under the impression that "it's not an understandable rule, so I won't take it". 

Chess in no way is HARAM. Things that are "Haram" Are mentioned in the Quran.

So after your very extended and deep research on the whole Quran, and reading all the tafseer books, you have come to the conclusion that chess is not forbidden in the Quran? Or are you just making that claim based on, again, your opinion and personal understanding of religious issues?

(wasalam)

Edited by Abe

I highly doubt that. It would be a very far reach to label everything as a potential gambling tool. If that's what he meant, he would have taken the leap and directly issued the fatwa that soccer(football) is haram, but he never said that.

Have a little respect for the scholars who are only abiding by the Sahih hadiths from the prophet and the imams. The only one using opinion here is you. And if a scholar is indeed using opinion, at least he's much more credible than you'll ever be. 

Religious rulings, my dear brother, don't come and go based on what you "get". :) If that was so, you could make almost anything halal under the impression that "it's not an understandable rule, so I won't take it". 

So after your very extended and deep research on the whole Quran, and reading all the tafseer books, you have come to the conclusion that chess is not forbidden in the Quran? Or are you just making that claim based on, again, your opinion and personal understanding of religious issues?

(wasalam)

Thx ill take your advice. But still, People shouldnt only look at what other people say but always use their own judgement in the end..

Because what if the information given was wrong?

What if it isnt haram and the poor kid spends 20 years not playing then a scholar tells him its ok?

Thats what i mean

It's not easy to live a life according to Qur'an and Ahlul Bayt (as), but come one, if it is hard to give up something haram then at least stop explaining how it is not haram. 

Some hadiths:

"So abstain from the pollution of the idols and abstain from false vain words."(22:30.)
The Arabic word "Zoor" has several meanings which include falsehood and the musical expressions. According to Imam Jafer Sadique (a.s.) "pollution of the idols"means Chess; and "Vain words" means music.

Imam Jafar Sadique (a.s) said," Allah has prohibited the manufacturing of such things which are used for harmful purpose. And the things which only create harm. Thus the manufacturing of harp, flute, chess, musical instruments cross of crucification, idols is forbidden."

Imam Ali Reza (a.s) said," That person in whose house is kept for forty days a drum’, flute or any other musical instrument, chess or similar things that person invokes the warth of Allah and if that person dies during those forty days his death shall be of a transgressor and a libertine. His abode shall be Hell and what a terrible abode it is."

Copy paste from a book called "Music and it's effects". by Ahmed H. Sheriff