Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Is It Halal To Make Money From Iphone Game Apps?

Rate this topic

The Light

• Advanced Member

(salam)

I was wondering whether is it a halal way to make money by developing a game for the iphone and selling them on the app store.

For example, if the game does not have any haram content such as sexual scenes and It's a game for fun. Is it allowed?

• Veteran Member

Because, playing games is time killing and time killing is not good. That's why I was thinking that it may not be allowed, due to it being a means of wasting people's time.

There are actually Hadith that say that one should divide their time into three parts: worship, working to feed their family and halal entertainment. If developing an iPhone game is Haraam because it wastes time, so do cricket, soccer, novels, T.V and literally everything else. You'd rather live as a monk then (oh, but wait, the Prophet severely chastised those who used to live that way). We are allowed to have fun and be entertained as long as it's not a sin; in fact, like the Hadith says, it's a recommendation of the Imam. If one of the Imams was still here, I am sure you'd see him playing soccer/cricket/whatever with his son.

• Advanced Member

There are actually Hadith that say that one should divide their time into three parts: worship, working to feed their family and halal entertainment. If developing an iPhone game is Haraam because it wastes time, so do cricket, soccer, novels, T.V and literally everything else. You'd rather live as a monk then (oh, but wait, the Prophet severely chastised those who used to live that way). We are allowed to have fun and be entertained as long as it's not a sin; in fact, like the Hadith says, it's a recommendation of the Imam. If one of the Imams was still here, I am sure you'd see him playing soccer/cricket/whatever with his son.

Thank you for shedding some light brother.

Your right. Theres nothing wrong with halal entertainment at all. 

I remember picking up this idea from a Sunni site which said that playing games is haram because it kills time. So, I was wondering what my faith has to say with this and actually I'm glad it's not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

You should contact your Marji' because the way you earn money is through ads right? And those ads might or might not be haram.

Not necessarily with ads. You can choose which kind of ads you want to advertise in you app I think. The main money comes from people purchasing the app.