Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله
Sign in to follow this  
pwwnd123

Is It Haraam To Look At Female Game Characters

Rate this topic

Salaam, brothers and sisters. I have a question I've been thinking long about and here it is. Is it haraam to look at female video game characters. For example in the Mario series, you have to go through levels collecting power ups and go through various castles to rescue a princess named Princess Peach. Some games have you play as female protagonists such as in the Metroid series where you have to play as a female galactic bounty hunter named Samus Aran who is in a Power Suit in where she is concealed in it and she has a visor where you can only see her face, am I allowed to look at her if she is in this Power Suit. I am a avid game player btw.

Bro Peach is very cartoonish and not sexualized, at all. Disney princesses are more haraam to look at than her.

And behind the armor, you can't tell if Samus is a dude or a girl. In fact this was the entire point of the first Metroid game.

You shouldn't complicate uncomplicated issues.

Now if you want to talk about the "Dead or Alive" series, or worse, God of War, etc... then we have something to discuss. Not these old Nintendo games.

Salaam, brothers and sisters. I have a question I've been thinking long about and here it is. Is it haraam to look at female video game characters. For example in the Mario series, you have to go through levels collecting power ups and go through various castles to rescue a princess named Princess Peach. Some games have you play as female protagonists such as in the Metroid series where you have to play as a female galactic bounty hunter named Samus Aran who is in a Power Suit in where she is concealed in it and she has a visor where you can only see her face, am I allowed to look at her if she is in this Power Suit. I am a avid game player btw.

Princess Peach. ROFL

Samus Aran has the best Hijab in the world though.

I know but I think Shigeru Miyamoto the creator of Mario and Zelda had made Peach look way too lustful for the Muslim gamer. I may find it hard not to look at her artworks and all fan arts. Besides there are anime pictures of Peach by this guy on deviantart named SigurdHosenfield where she is sometimes shown nude and Allah forbid how haraam is it. I mean in Smash Bros. Melee and Brawl you can look underneath her dress and it's haraam right.

^ Really bro, in order to play a game, is it necessary to also view the fan art?

There are perverted fan arts of every famous character. There are probably perverted fan arts of Hello Kitty out there. Does that make Hello Kitty's official likeness, haraam to look at?

I don't remember Peach being a playable character in Super Smash Bros but I really doubt that you could look under her dress in that game. Can you be more specific?

So anyways Peach isn't haraam at all to look at provided if we don't look at some anime pictures of her right or do that look underneath her dress trick in Brawl and Melee at all right. 

I mean in Mario Golf Toadstool Tour she wears some mini-dress or something and we see her legs.

Here is another female character: Cortana from Halo. Do most of you know that her voice actress is the same one who used to voice Peach. That is Jen Taylor to be exact.

Anyways do you think looking at Cortana is haraam or not? Or even better Lara Croft from Tomb Raider. Is she haraam to look at as well?

don't play mario my friend, this person is of evil nature 

I know, he is an animal abuser. May Allah forbid how haraam it is. And oh boy is it haraam to play Super Princess Peach where you see her all the time.

Does Tomb Raider's Lara Croft look haraam to look at or not. Or are some Street Fighter characters haraam to look at such as Cammy and Chun-Li.

I do play the games and I barely look at fan art of her.

Well, don't look at the fan art.

I've been playing Mario games since I was a kid and I haven't seen one single work of Mario fan art. If you don't seek them out, you won't see them.

I know, he is an animal abuser. May Allah forbid how haraam it is. And oh boy is it haraam to play Super Princess Peach where you see her all the time.

Does Tomb Raider's Lara Croft look haraam to look at or not. Or are some Street Fighter characters haraam to look at such as Cammy and Chun-Li.

If you are talking about the original Tomb Raider game for the PS1 and Saturn, well then the graphics were so terrible that it's hard to even consider that a representation of a female form. If there are newer games with enhanced visuals, then I wouldn't blame anyone for staying away from them.

Why would you play Street Fighter and choose friggin Cammy? Just choose a male character.

Edited by baradar_jackson

I would honestly say it depends on your intention. Are you looking so you can play the game, or is it a look of lust?

It's not really a look of lust though I have no choice in order to continue the game. Super Princess Peach is the prime example of where I have to look at Peach constantly in order to play. I don't have the intention of lust at all. I don't intend to look at her hair but she may be kinda distracting to some gamers and it may be nearly impossible to avoid looking at her at all. Though hijabless Peach may be but atleast Samus is ok since her Power Suit is considered to be her hijab right even though she is not Muslim. I think some Muslim gamers may find Peach hard to avoid looking at with lust.

Bro if you feel lust from looking at Princess Peach I think there are deeper issues at hand.

Some guys have stronger desires than others. You may be one of them.

I know but it's not that serious besides I don't feel it and in this case it is haraam for me to look at Peach. I think Samus Aran is ok for me since she is in that Power Suit anyways mostly and is only shown in her Zero Suit in Brawl,Metroid Zero Mission and Other M though I don't use that for lust. The only thing that is haraam about Samus is her Justin Bailey thing right in the original Metroid for NES, Metroid II, Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. So the Justin Bailey and Zero Suit are the only times it is not ok for me to look at Samus.

Like I said, I've read rulings by maraji (including Sistani iirc) say it is permissible to watch live action films where the non-Muslim women aren't observing hijab as long as one does not intend to ogle them lustfully or as long as the presentation or dress is not in such way that exposes too much of the private areas or is designed to evoke lustful thoughts. This is with with live action, so I think a lower standard can perhaps be held concerning animation and video games because the women aren't real and in many cases aren't drawn in a very naturalistic manner.Sometimes a fictional character might have a certain personality which requires a certain form of dress. One of the good things about animation and illustrative artwork is that I feel like it allows us to design characters more freely without the physical or moral limitations of real life. For example, if I create a fictional character is a female who is intended to be promiscuous and immodest in her demeanor, I am much more free in the world of animation and comic artwork to style her in such a way that reflects that personality I wish her to have for the purpose of telling the story, in a way that perhaps would transgress certain moral limits if I were to ask a real women in a film or play to dress and act such a way. But the intention is more about illustrating the character's personality and a lot of the times it's more about presentation and intention rather than content. At least that's the way I feel about it.

Yeah I smell troll too. Princess Peach is hardly the most alluring of video game characters. 

Daisy is the superior princess, anyway:

500px-Princesa_Daisy_SPP2.png

Question is if it is halal to Play Games for Entertainment

I Hope i can add some interesting sources later

Well I can't think of any scholar or intellectual who'd begrudge a child playing games or sports. Don't know what they'd say about twenty something year old shut-ins like myself though.

Are we allowed to do that look underneath Peach's dress in SSBM and Brawl and even her mini dress in the GameCube version of SSX on Tour. There are pictures of this trick online. Is it haraam?

You know in Super Mario Strikers for the GameCube and Mario Strikers Charged, Peach wears this outfit:
Is it haram to look at Peach while playing Super Mario Strikers and Mario Strikers Charged. I mean you only see her belly only. Is that objectionable for us Shia Muslims. I provided her artwork from the original Mario Strikers.

[edited]

Edited by Muhammed Ali
Please don't post such pictures.

Since my post was edited here is the link to Peach's artworks for both the original Strikers and Strikers Charged.

Is it still haraam to look at Peach while playing these games?

Sorry if that official artwork of Peach was considered unacceptable on this forum.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Well if you could find some way to mutah with them then you could stare at them all day.  You would have to reprogram some files so the desired character can yell out qabiltu. The dowry can be an extra life upon level failure.

Alternatively you could get a real girl, but that would be quite expensive.  Decisions, decisions.

They're just cartoon images man. Why are you aroused looking at non-existing "people."

Or perhaps you can be a real man and stick to Madden. The new one comes out soon. The Chip Kelly Offense awaits.

Or go live in a village in the woods, making up stories like Rumplestilzkin and Three Little Pigs. No images to look at in oral story telling.