Jump to content
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!) ×
ShiaChat.com
Guests can now reply in ALL forum topics (No registration required!)
In the Name of God بسم الله

Reverts to Islam [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

  • Advanced Member

Yes, I have tried that, but fell on deaf ears. Much has to do with the british media I think and the anti-muslim sentiment that the establishment puts out.

 

My thought is continue to practice Islam secrectly / privately and at some point down the line let my family know that i did in fact revert to islam thus proving their fears, worries or whatever were unfounded and it has actually made me a better person.

 

It is made much harder though as i do not know any Shia muslims round about me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Salam brothers and sisters!  I grew up in a not so religious family, but my whole family identifies as Christians. My grandparents were raised baptists and raised my mom that way, but ever since

As-salamu 3alaykum wa rahmatullah I am a young convert to islam, one year ago. I recently « converted » to shia islam a few days ago.

Thanks for the warm welcom brothers! Alhamdulillah.  I will definitely stick around, i have already learned a lot from these forums and i know i Can learn more. May the blessings of Allah be

  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Veteran Member

inna lillahi wa ilayhi rajioon ... please brothers and sisters this is a wake up call to spend time with your loved ones before it is too late!! Life is worthy only for your loved ones and nothing more. Not money, not material, nothing. May Allah bless his soul and all our loved ones who have passed away. May they meet the awliya wa anbiya inshAllah. What a beautiful time to pass away, during the holy month of Muharram and in prayer. Indeed Allah swt loved him. Please recite fatiha everyone. May Allah give you and you family strength and solitude and patience. I am sure, your father loved you no matter what, dont hurt yourself for it will hurt him. Im sure he knew how much you loved him, it was in his heart till the end. Now make sure to take care of your mother. wasalaam

Link to post
Share on other sites

Salam Alykum,

إنا لله وإنا إليه راجعون

May your sorrow and grief, be a vehicle to get closer to Allah.

Look forward to your writings about your father's search for truth.

Because the truth never dies. Live the truth, and you will live your father.

My Allah Have mercy on you and your family

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

please accept my heartiest condolence. I lost my father at a young age too, and I was the closest child to him. he meant the world to me and the moments we shared together, the adventures we had are still etched in my mind, never to be forgotten. i saw him paralyzed, in a complete state of helplessness for 2.5 years - he was a strong man.

 

i pray that God gives you and your family the strength to bear this pain and the courage needed to move forward. be blessed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Veteran Member

Salam, what a beautiful tribute. If it would bring you comfort, you should continue to talk to him. Maybe he will know, maybe not, but if it sooths you im sure he would want you to do that. It sounds like it was quite sudden, so you may be in some shock. Be kind to yourself. In many respects a quick passing is a blessing alhamdullillah. When my dad died it was after a long, drawn-out illness and there was relief that his suffering was over mixed with the grief. I wasnt at his bedside either and did a lot of praying for his transition to be smooth and for his peace. I will do the same for your dad. Try not to chastise yourself for not visiting home more. I understand your pain, but your dad would not want you to do that i am sure. He will understand the pressures and conflict you experience and is probably feeling nothing but love for you and your family and wanting you all to be as healthy and content as possible. His love hasnt disappeared, it is inside you and your family still, so let yourself feel it and feel your grief and your gratitude for being blessed with such a lovely papa alhamdullillah.

 

Innaa lillahi Wa Innaa Ilayhi Raaji'un.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Assalam aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakathu,

So I've had a few members ask me how I became a Shi'a and they have said that I should share it with everyone. So here it goes... get a cup of tea and a biscuit. :muslima:

I first learnt about Islam when I was engaged to a Muslim guy, who wasn't practising. I was intrigued by his religion and began to do my own research. The only things I knew about Islam where things that I had seen in the media and so I didn’t have a very positive opinion on this religion.

However, I soon realised that there was so much more to this faith than I could ever have imagined. I realised that everything I knew about Islam was completely false. Instead I was presented with a faith that was logical, beautiful, fair and miraculous. I found a God who was so worthy of worship and so merciful to his creation and a Prophet (pbuh) with a beautiful and pure heart.

So after doing a bit of research I decided I wanted to become a Muslim and began to practise. I took things very slowly. I learnt my prayers and began to pray everyday and read Qur’an. I practised fasting, started to be more charitable, gave up pork and begun to give up alcohol among other things. I was very very happy and felt I was nearly ready to take my shahdah.

But things happened. The first thing was I left my fiancé. He had started being increasingly abusive to me and it got to a point where I couldn’t take it anymore. This completely shattered me - he and his family were the only Muslims I knew properly. I had tried several times to find a mosque to make friends there as my fiancé lived abroad but every time I went to the mosque, I was treated with disrespect and made to feel like I wasn’t welcome there. This hurt me so much and I didn’t understand why. I always dressed and acted so conservatively when I visited the mosque but I was always excluded.

I was so lost and quickly got angry with God about all these things that were happening to me. I panicked because I felt I could not follow Islam anymore. So foolishly I looked for excuses to leave the faith. I ignored everything I had learnt and went back to being ignorant about Islam. Astagfirullah (may Allah forgive me) I did and said some terrible things against God and his Messenger (pbuh). 

So instead I became a Christian. I had many Christian friends so I decided it made sense to convert. I had this idea in my head that all Muslims were like my ex and the men at the mosque and that Christians were nice and friendly people. I found excuses to make me believe in the Christian doctrines and for almost a year I lived quite happily as a Christian.

But yet again things changed. As I fully recovered after a difficult few months, I began to miss Islam. I missed the excitement of Ramadan, learning Arabic and above all I began to miss prostrating to God. I began to contemplate my choices and I realised that I had been completely unfair to God and Islam. I left Islam because of a few ignorant and hurtful people who did not embody the ideal Muslim in anyway. I realised that if the Prophet Muhammad (saw) was alive and spoke to these men, he would have told them that they were doing wrong because he said to never hurt or disrespect a woman for she is special to Allah.

And I realised that truly in my heart, I did not accept Jesus (pbuh) as God. From reading the Bible, I loved Jesus with all my heart but truly the idea of him being God is so illogical to me. The only reason why I turned to Christianity is because I felt like I had nowhere left to go, not because I thought it was the truth.

So one day after watching an Islamic lecture, I felt the need to pray. So I washed myself and prayed 2 rakats. And after that I called out to God because I fully believed that I had made some terrible mistakes. I asked God to forgive me of not trusting him and of the terrible sins I had committed. And for the first time in a long time, I felt like I was in the right place.

I decided to take things really slowly and began by increasing my knowledge. At the time, the only path I considered was Sunni Islam. My ex fiance and his friends had told me all about the Shi'as and said some truly disgusting things about them. But one day I was watching Islamic lectures on You Tube and accidendly started watching a lecture by Dr Sayed Ammar Nakshawani. When I realised that it was a Shi'a video I wanted to turn it off, but a huge part of me refused and I kept watching. The arguments and set up were alien to me, but they did make sense. This sent me on a path where I watched more of his videos. First I watched his series on the misconceptions about the Shi'a and everything I had ever been taught was a lie. I couldn't believe how logical and truthful the beliefs of the Ahlulbayt (as) were. They made more sense to me to anything that I had studied before. After that, I watch his series on the 14 Infallibles and loved learning about the Ahlulbayt (as). I suffer with Bi-Polar and at times get dangerously depressed and managed to find some comfort in learning the difficulties Ahlulbayt (as) went through. It gave me hope that if for example Imam Karzim (as) never gave up on Allah (swt) when we was imprisoned and tortured, then I could do the same with my problems.

I think the final straw for me wanted to become a Shi'a was when I learned the fates of Imam Hussain (as) and Fatima Zahra (as). I had heard of Hussain before but every Sunni scholar who had talked about him just said he is just another martyr and nothing special. What they failed to add was Hussain was murdered by so called fellow Muslims and wallahi it is shameful to call him just another martyr when our Prophet (saw) weeped knowing what would happen to Hussain at Karbala. But the thing that shocked me the most was what happened to Zahra (as). When I found out about her land being stolen and her house being attacked, believe me I was disgusted and ashamed that I had believed she had just died from grief. Wallahi the evidence is even in the books of Ahlul-Sunnah. This pain hurt me so much.

So this is how I refound Islam and I feel so lucky. My name is Amy and I'm not going to officially change my name but I have adopted the nickname of Zainab. This is because when I heard Lady Zainab's (as) story, I weeped over what had happened to her and I will never forget that moment and even to this day I have such a love for her. And in addition, I want to be a helper to the Imam of our time Imam Mahdi (as), may Allah hasten his return, as Zainab (as) was to Hussain (as).

Al hamdulillah. Last time wallahi I wanted to convert for a man. But now I want to do it for God and God alone. Al hamdulillah. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

what's your background? i noticed you used "wallahi" which is typical Arabic lingo, but i have not heard of Arab families being Atheist, i have heard of Christian and Muslim and Jewish but whole Arab families to be atheist if this is the case, then its a first time i hear about it 

also what is your denomination? shia or sunni? you didnt mention it 

Edited by neverforgotten313
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
11 minutes ago, neverforgotten313 said:

what's your background? i noticed you used "wallahi" which is typical Arabic lingo, but i have not heard of Arab families being Atheist, i have heard of Christian and Muslim and Jewish but whole Arab families to be atheist if this is the case, then its a first time i hear about it 

also what is your denomination? shia or sunni? you didnt mention it 

I'm white British along with my parents, I believe we are not supposed to be divided into such sects.

The Quran says, 

"And hold fast,

All together, by the rope, 

Which Allah ( stretches out for you ), 

and be not divided among yourselves;"

[ Al-Quran 3:103 ]

 

What is the rope of Allah that is being referred to in this verse? It is the Glorious Qur’an. The Glorious Qur’an is the rope of Allah which all Muslims should hold fast together. There is double emphasis in this verse. Besides saying ‘hold fast all together’ it also says, ‘be not divided’.

Qur’an further says,

"Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger"
                [Al-Qur’an 4:59]

 

"As for those who divide 

Their religion and break up into sects, 

thou hast no part in them in the least:

Their affair is with Allah:

He will in the end 

Tell them the truth

Of all that they did." 

[Al-Quran 6:159]

 

In this verse Allah (swt) says that one should disassociate oneself from those who divide their religion and break it up into sects.

But when one asks a Muslim, "who are you?", the common answer is either ‘I am a Sunni, or ‘I am a Shia’. Some call themselves Hanafi, or Shafi or Maliki or Humbali. Some say ‘I am a Deobandi’, while some others say ‘I am a Barelvi’.

One may ask such Muslims, "Who was our beloved prophet (pbuh)? Was he a Hanafi or a Shafi, or a Humbali or a Maliki?" No! He was a Muslim, like all the other prophets and messengers of Allah before him.

It is mentioned in chapter 3 verse 52 of Al-Qur’an that Jesus (pbuh) was a Muslim.

Further, in chapter 3 verse 67, Al-Qur’an says that Ibrahim (pbuh) was not a Jew or a Christian but was a Muslim.

 

If anyone poses a Muslim the question who are you, he should say "I am a MUSLIM, not a Hanafi or a Shafi". Surah Fussilat chapter 41 verse 33 says

    "Who is better in speech
Than one who calls (men)
To Allah, works righteousness,
And says, ‘I am of those
Who bow in Islam (Muslim)?’ "

               [Al-Qur’an 41:33]

The Qur’an says "Say I am of those who bow in Islam". In other words, say, "I am a Muslim".

 

We must respect all the great scholars of Islam, including the four Imaams, Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi, Imam Humbal and Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with them all). They were great scholars and may Allah reward them for their research and hardwork. One can have no objection if someone agrees with the views and research of Imam Abu Hanifa or Imam Shafi, etc. But when posed a question, ‘who are you?’, the reply should only be ‘I am a Muslim’.


Some may argue by quoting the hadith of our beloved Prophet from Sunan Abu Dawood Hadith No. 4579. In this hadith the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "My community will be split up into seventy-three sects."

This hadith reports that the prophet predicted the emergence of seventy-three sects. He did not say that Muslims should be active in dividing themselves into sects. The Glorious Qur’an commands us not to create sects.

The Glorious Qur’an mentions in several verses, "Obey Allah and obey His Messenger". A true Muslim should only follow the Glorious Qur’an. He can agree with the views of any scholar as long as they conform to the teachings of the Qur’an. If such views go against the Word of Allah, or the Sunnah of His Prophet, then they carry no weight, regardless of how learned the scholar might be.

as salaam alaikum, and if I've offended anyone please forgive me. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, RevertSister said:

I'm white British along with my parents, I believe we are not supposed to be divided into such sects.

The Quran says, 

"And hold fast,

All together, by the rope, 

Which Allah ( stretches out for you ), 

and be not divided among yourselves;"

[ Al-Quran 3:103 ]

 

What is the rope of Allah that is being referred to in this verse? It is the Glorious Qur’an. The Glorious Qur’an is the rope of Allah which all Muslims should hold fast together. There is double emphasis in this verse. Besides saying ‘hold fast all together’ it also says, ‘be not divided’.

Qur’an further says,

"Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger"
                [Al-Qur’an 4:59]

 

"As for those who divide 

Their religion and break up into sects, 

thou hast no part in them in the least:

Their affair is with Allah:

He will in the end 

Tell them the truth

Of all that they did." 

[Al-Quran 6:159]

 

In this verse Allah (swt) says that one should disassociate oneself from those who divide their religion and break it up into sects.

But when one asks a Muslim, "who are you?", the common answer is either ‘I am a Sunni, or ‘I am a Shia’. Some call themselves Hanafi, or Shafi or Maliki or Humbali. Some say ‘I am a Deobandi’, while some others say ‘I am a Barelvi’.

One may ask such Muslims, "Who was our beloved prophet (pbuh)? Was he a Hanafi or a Shafi, or a Humbali or a Maliki?" No! He was a Muslim, like all the other prophets and messengers of Allah before him.

It is mentioned in chapter 3 verse 52 of Al-Qur’an that Jesus (pbuh) was a Muslim.

Further, in chapter 3 verse 67, Al-Qur’an says that Ibrahim (pbuh) was not a Jew or a Christian but was a Muslim.

 

If anyone poses a Muslim the question who are you, he should say "I am a MUSLIM, not a Hanafi or a Shafi". Surah Fussilat chapter 41 verse 33 says

    "Who is better in speech
Than one who calls (men)
To Allah, works righteousness,
And says, ‘I am of those
Who bow in Islam (Muslim)?’ "

               [Al-Qur’an 41:33]

The Qur’an says "Say I am of those who bow in Islam". In other words, say, "I am a Muslim".

 

We must respect all the great scholars of Islam, including the four Imaams, Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi, Imam Humbal and Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with them all). They were great scholars and may Allah reward them for their research and hardwork. One can have no objection if someone agrees with the views and research of Imam Abu Hanifa or Imam Shafi, etc. But when posed a question, ‘who are you?’, the reply should only be ‘I am a Muslim’.


Some may argue by quoting the hadith of our beloved Prophet from Sunan Abu Dawood Hadith No. 4579. In this hadith the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "My community will be split up into seventy-three sects."

This hadith reports that the prophet predicted the emergence of seventy-three sects. He did not say that Muslims should be active in dividing themselves into sects. The Glorious Qur’an commands us not to create sects.

The Glorious Qur’an mentions in several verses, "Obey Allah and obey His Messenger". A true Muslim should only follow the Glorious Qur’an. He can agree with the views of any scholar as long as they conform to the teachings of the Qur’an. If such views go against the Word of Allah, or the Sunnah of His Prophet, then they carry no weight, regardless of how learned the scholar might be.

as salaam alaikum, and if I've offended anyone please forgive me. 

 

 

Okay fair enough i dont disagree with you there about calling ourselves Muslim

but to be precise, do you accept the 12 Imams as the rightful successors of the Prophet(pbuh)?

Edited by neverforgotten313
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

:salam:

:sign_welcome:

Beautiful story, dear sister! Indeed, Allah guides whomever He wants to guide and those whose hearts are open and who seek truth, sincerely, will find His guidance. The reaction of your parents is unfortunate but I can imagine that your conversion came as a shock to them. How is the situation, now? Any better? And if not, be patient for Allah rewards the patient. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask them on this forum.

Praise belongs to God,
the First, without a first before Him,
the Last, without a last behind Him.

Beholders' eyes fall short of seeing Him,
describers' imaginations are not able to depict Him.

(....)

Praise belongs to God, for the true knowledge of Himself He has given to us,
the thanksgiving He has inspired us to offer Him,
the doors to knowing His Lordship He has opened for us,
the sincerity towards Him in professing His Unity to which He has led us,
and the deviation and doubt in His Command
from which He has turned us aside;

(As-Sahifa as-Sajjadiyya, #1, In Praise of God)

Ma`asalama.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
1 hour ago, RevertSister said:

The Glorious Qur’an mentions in several verses, "Obey Allah and obey His Messenger". A true Muslim should only follow the Glorious Qur’an. He can agree with the views of any scholar as long as they conform to the teachings of the Qur’an. If such views go against the Word of Allah, or the Sunnah of His Prophet, then they carry no weight, regardless of how learned the scholar might be.

Salam dear sister.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I'd like to mention some points here:
Allah commands us in Quran to obey the holy messenger and it equates the obedience for the messenger with the obedience for Allah.

The messenger has appointed Ali and Ali's sons as his successors and commanded us to obey them.

So, the obedience for Ahlulbayt is the obedience for Allah and HIS messenger.

In fact, we are following the commands of Allah nothing more.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

Even the holy Quran itself commands us to follow "Olil al-amr".

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَطِيعُوا اللَّـهَ وَأَطِيعُوا الرَّ‌سُولَ وَأُولِي الْأَمْرِ‌ مِنكُمْ ۖ فَإِن تَنَازَعْتُمْ فِي شَيْءٍ فَرُ‌دُّوهُ إِلَى اللَّـهِ وَالرَّ‌سُولِ إِن كُنتُمْ تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّـهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ‌ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ خَيْرٌ‌ وَأَحْسَنُ تَأْوِيلًا - 4:59

O believers! Obey Allah and obey the messenger and those in authority among you. And if you dispute concerning anything, refer it to Allah and the Apostle, if you have faith in Allah and the Last Day. That is better and more favourable in outcome.

In the viewpoint of Quran, Olil'amr are infallible.  Otherwise, the verse above is a contradiction.  (that is, Oli'amr commands to something against the will of Allah and HIS messenger.)

It is unanimously agreed that the first three caliphs were not infallible.

You can judge by your self.

Edited by John Algar
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wa Aleykum Salam Sister :)

I really admired your determination to become a Muslima. You must have faced a lot of challenges from your family and friends who do not like the idea of you, accepting Islam.However, no matter how hard they tried to discourage you, try to hold fast to your religion and continue praying to Allah (SWT) for his guidance.

Furthermore, you may come across some Muslims who are not nice (in the future).. I want you to know that their bad manners has nothing to do with islam... Islam in itself is a perfect religion, but the people practicing the religion are human beings afterall... They are prone to making all sorts of mistakes.. A religion must not be blamed just because some of its followers are rude..

There are lots and lots of challenges in life which we all have to face in one way or the other... Those challenges are very hard to overcome. They'll make you want to give up everything... But then, if you have trust in Allah, He'll never let you give up. He'll make you stronger and stronger with every bit of hardship you face.

I agree with the fact that muslims are not suppose to accept sectarian names like that.. Such divisions would only make us weak & vulnerable in front of our real enemies... We should all stand together as muslims as long as we believe in Allah (SWT) and Rasul (SAW). 

With time, i hope you'll continue the search for truth which includes; reading about the history of our beloved Prophet (SAW) and his Ahlelbayt. May Allah bless you, guide you and assist us all in achieving the best of both worlds.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
4 hours ago, neverforgotten313 said:

Okay fair enough i dont disagree with you there about calling ourselves Muslim

but to be precise, do you accept the 12 Imams as the rightful successors of the Prophet(pbuh)?

 

I am wondering, in case of reverts, is it necessary to ask such Questions.


On one way, yes its part of Imaan.

On other way, one can stay undecided on such issues and still be a rightful muslim.

Whats wrong with not having a position on purely sect oriented issues?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...